+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 96 FirstFirst ... 29303132333435363738394041424344454647484989 ... LastLast
Like Tree213Likes

Thread: Food Network

Re: Food Network

Quote Originally Posted by PugMum;2661632;
    And as for Sanda Lee.....there is a reason she serves alcohol with ALL of her meals, it is the ONLY way to get the food down.
    Her obsession with Cool Whip bothers me -- that stuff is vile! Yeah, I know the semi-homemade thing is to save time, but it only takes a few minutes to whip real cream. Now if she's spend less time on the tablescapes and pay more attention to cooking, she might actually come up with something edible!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

FORT Fogey

I actually like Cool Whip better than real whipped cream so for me, it is not SL's ingrediants that she uses, there is just something about her. She comes across as kind of phoney.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PugMum;2660279;
    Don't make Rachel Rays "Stuffin'Muffins". They are very bland and dry.
    Last year I saw her show making the stuffing in the muffin tins and tried it. I kinda/sorta followed her recipe, but I think I added more liquid (chicken broth, IIRC) to hold the mixture together better. It would have been too crumbly otherwise. I did like the idea of baking them in the muffin tins, though, and that's about all the usefulness I've ever gotten out of Rachel Ray. She can go away now.

I think I saw RR's Thanksgiving show about two years ago and thought the stuffin muffins sounded like something I would like to try. I made them up using my own recipe, however. They were a big hit and I did like the portion control aspect of each muffin. I will admit that the first batch I made were more of a pain in the neck, but subsequent batches have not been too difficult.

I do have to make different batches though. Some people like having sausage and/or walnuts in their stuffing while others like the stuffing plain...with no nuts or walnuts. So I make up a batch of just plain muffins to serve six. Then I add some walnuts to the remainder of the batch and make up another six muffins. Finally I add in the sausage and make up a dozen of them.

I still prefer stuffing the bird, so if I am not too frazzled with Thanksgiving preparations, I will also just make another batch and cook it inside the bird.

Sandra Lee does a few things that are cool but I really am not a fan of all the premade ingredients that she uses. There are far more healthier and delicious options for some of the recipes that she presents. The whole cool whip thing is just ugh! It is so easy to make whipped cream and it tastes so much fresher. In terms of health, all of that stuff should be used in moderation anyways. What I usually take away from her show is more some ideas to use in creating new and different meals but I tend to sway more for the real ingredients and take the time to chop some garlic and the like.

I did get to meet Alton Brown this past weekend at the Fabulous Food show here in Cleveland. What a funny guy he is!!! Giada and her fabulous pregnant self were also there. Duff Goldman (AKA the Ace of Cakes) was there and I caught a glimpse of him. He is more adorable in person! I am so having him do my wedding cake even if I have to drive 8 hours to pick it up. I just want to meet him and have his fabulous crew make a cake for me!!

Quote Originally Posted by psycobabe007;2666537;
    I did get to meet Alton Brown this past weekend at the Fabulous Food show here in Cleveland. What a funny guy he is!!!
    Nice! So tell us more about Alton's in persona-ness (I have to make up my own words for what I want sometimes ). For instance, on TV he appears to be a fairly tall guy... in person, is he actually tall?
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by psycobabe007;2666537;
    Sandra Lee does a few things that are cool but I really am not a fan of all the premade ingredients that she uses. There are far more healthier and delicious options for some of the recipes that she presents.
    Her whole show premise is using "premade" ingredients to make things easier. If you want healthy, watch another show. With all of this health obsession, most cooking shows would be off the air if that was all that was shown.

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;2666935;
    Her whole show premise is using "premade" ingredients to make things easier. If you want healthy, watch another show. With all of this health obsession, most cooking shows would be off the air if that was all that was shown.
    I am not saying at all that I don't like Sandra. I love some of her ideas that she comes up with. What I take from her show (which is true of most cooking shows in general with me) is ideas to improve my cooking and not so much the exact recipes. I have taken many of Sandra's recipes and modified them to my style and taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2666666;
    Nice! So tell us more about Alton's in persona-ness (I have to make up my own words for what I want sometimes ). For instance, on TV he appears to be a fairly tall guy... in person, is he actually tall?
    Alton is not as tall as I imagined. He dresses in real life just like he does on "Good Eats", the relaxed bowling shirt look as he put it lol! He was totally making cracks about not being able to say one word about "The Next Iron Chef", as at the time the winner had not been revealed yet. He showed the tattoo from "Feasting on Asphalt" that he got last season and I must say was a little blushed to be doing so, lol!! He also ripped a little on Paula and her butter obsession and Giada being preggers (with a gerbil I think is how he put it, lol!!). Overall a great person and really true to his persona on tv.

Quote Originally Posted by psycobabe007;2671579;
    Alton is not as tall as I imagined. He dresses in real life just like he does on "Good Eats", the relaxed bowling shirt look as he put it lol! He was totally making cracks about not being able to say one word about "The Next Iron Chef", as at the time the winner had not been revealed yet. He showed the tattoo from "Feasting on Asphalt" that he got last season and I must say was a little blushed to be doing so, lol!! He also ripped a little on Paula and her butter obsession and Giada being preggers (with a gerbil I think is how he put it, lol!!). Overall a great person and really true to his persona on tv.
    Thanks for the dish, psycobabe

I love this guy, there's just something so adorable about him, not to mention witty and creative.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

FORT Newbie

Good Eats
    Iron Chef
    The Next Food Network Star
    Food Network Challenges
    Unwrapped
    $40 a Day

+ Reply to Thread