+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 96 FirstFirst ... 24252627282930313233343536373839404142434484 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 952
Like Tree213Likes

Thread: Food Network

  1. #331
    Stickers spits nickels... PK...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Razorback Country....
    Age
    73
    Posts
    4,458

    Re: Food Network

    Quote Originally Posted by Animal;2548820;
    She loses it and then it comes back magically whenever a word like mozzarella shows up.


    Did anyone see Alton mistake that porcupine for a nutra? OMG that was funny!
    That was a kick... I have met Nutria in Texas, and that Porcy was NO Nutria....

    Yeah, Giada usually pronounces "Italian" words with the accent...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. ~Mark Twain

  2. #332
    FORT Fogey Ellen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,035

    Re: Food Network

    Quote Originally Posted by Animal;2548820;
    She loses it and then it comes back magically whenever a word like mozzarella shows up.
    Hmm -- her pronunciation of Italian words in correct Italian doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I find it refreshing when people pronounce foreign words properly in the original language instead of butchering them with any of the American accents. (ref: Paula Deen in Paris)
    Quote Originally Posted by Animal;2548820;
    Did anyone see Alton mistake that porcupine for a nutra? OMG that was funny!
    That was hilarious -- as was when he was trying to reconcile how he pronounces his name with the pronunciation of the town of Alton (the first syllable rhyming with "Paul" vs. the first syllable rhyming with "pal").
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

  3. #333
    Stuck In The 80's hvymetalchik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    155

    Re: Food Network

    Quote Originally Posted by PK...;2548209;
    Hah...

    I caught a rerun of Feasting on Asphalt the other evening, and, as amazing as it sounds, the map they showed had the abreviation for Arkansas as AK..... I bet those folk in Alaska were laughing just as loudly as those in AR...

    (Does Giada own anything other than low cut??
    )
    I have no clue.

  4. #334
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Reality
    Posts
    2,365

    Re: Food Network

    Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;2549042;
    Hmm -- her pronunciation of Italian words in correct Italian doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I find it refreshing when people pronounce foreign words properly in the original language instead of butchering them with any of the American accents. (ref: Paula Deen in Paris)
    Proper pronunciation of foreign words is fine. But when she is talking normal conversation, her real voice is much nicer then her fake accent voice.

  5. #335
    Stickers spits nickels... PK...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Razorback Country....
    Age
    73
    Posts
    4,458

    Re: Food Network

    Well, she is completely fluent in at least two languages... I don't think she should be penalized for that...

    Though I also don't think people not fluent in multiple languages should be penalized, either...

    My thought is that unless you ARE "totally" fluent in any particular language, you should stick to the American pronunciation of foreign words, because a poor attempt will make you look the presumptuous fool...

    I honestly haven't noticed her "fake" accent in a long time... Maybe I am just used to it... I do know, I like her other shows better than her Everyday Italian... Maybe they are all 'old'...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. ~Mark Twain

  6. #336
    FORT Fan Misaru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    360

    Re: Food Network

    Okay, I take back what I said earlier (that Giada dresses more conservatively on Today show): Giada 's cleavage was alive and well on Today show this morning.

    Her Italian pronunciation of Italian words doesn't bother me. Usually, it bothers me when people pronounce things in a foreign accent because it appears pretentious (I'm totally fluent in Japanese, but I still pronounce SU-shi, tem-PU-ra, or teri-YA-ki just as they're pronounced in American English because I don't want to come across condescending). But in her situation, I see cooking personalities as somewhat of educators as well. So pronouncing words in their original way makes sense to me.

  7. #337
    On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    5,063

    Re: Food Network

    I think it's great when any American is fluent in any other language besides English. Too few of us are!

    That said, Giada's Italian accent annoys the heck out of me when she pronounces something like "spaghetti." Yes, yes, I know that's how Italians pronouce it. I still don't care--it just annoys me. I guess 'cause it's out of context. If she's speaking fluent Italian to her parents, then go for it. But when you're speaking English 99% of the time, it sounds weird. I have friends who are fluent in Italian (reading, writing, speakig -- the whole bit). They pronounce spaghetti just like I do. But when I hear them speaking in Italian to their parents, everything's pronounced in proper Italian... My Korean friends (one of whom is a chef) pronounces tofu the way Americans do, even though in Korean it's pronounced "doo boo" (not "toe foo")... but when he speaks to his parents in Korean, he pronounces it the proper Korean way.

    As for the talk of her cleavage--I'm sure most men appreciate seeing just about any cleavage. As a woman, I find that cleavage on most women over a certain age is just kinda gross. Unless the woman has preternaturally defied gravity and managed to keep everything looking really taut (like a 20-year-old), it just looks like a nasty vertical line. Giada's getting to that age where she's not as young as she used to be...and yes, she still looks 1,000 times better than me. But cleavage isn't my thing on cooking shows. Save it for the beach!

    But I love Giada's recipes. I tend to get them online, rather than watch her show though. She's one of those people who bugs me. My husband calls her a freaky lollipop, with a huge head (pretty! but still huge) and her little tiny body.

    Yes, I'm mean! Somebody get me some chocolate to shut me up!
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 08-29-2007 at 06:01 PM.

  8. #338
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    53

    Re: Food Network

    Quote Originally Posted by Misaru;2550474;
    Okay, I take back what I said earlier (that Giada dresses more conservatively on Today show): Giada 's cleavage was alive and well on Today show this morning.

    Her Italian pronunciation of Italian words doesn't bother me. Usually, it bothers me when people pronounce things in a foreign accent because it appears pretentious (I'm totally fluent in Japanese, but I still pronounce SU-shi, tem-PU-ra, or teri-YA-ki just as they're pronounced in American English because I don't want to come across condescending). But in her situation, I see cooking personalities as somewhat of educators as well. So pronouncing words in their original way makes sense to me.

    How do you pronounce sushi, tempura, and terriaki with a Japanese accent? I'm just curious. Our son was stationed at Misawa AFB for 2 yrs, and he loved it there! He wants to get into international business, learn Japanese, and go back there sometime. I know, big dreams. Mainly what I was trying to say is that he really enjoyed his experiences over there!

  9. #339
    Kanai Nemeses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    In my own world
    Posts
    3,835

    Re: Food Network

    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2550844;
    I think it's great when any American is fluent in any other language besides English.
    Especially when so many Americans aren't even fluent in English.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

  10. #340
    FORT Fan Misaru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    360

    Re: Food Network

    Quote Originally Posted by Ledhead;2550933;
    How do you pronounce sushi, tempura, and terriaki with a Japanese accent? I'm just curious. Our son was stationed at Misawa AFB for 2 yrs, and he loved it there! He wants to get into international business, learn Japanese, and go back there sometime. I know, big dreams. Mainly what I was trying to say is that he really enjoyed his experiences over there!
    Skip this post if you're not interested in how to pronounce sushi, tempura, and teriyaki in Japanese.

    Sushi is pronounced with an emphasis on the latter syllable (so "su-SHI"), and don't drag out the su too much and make it concise.

    Tempura is pronounced with an emphasis on the first syllable (so "TEn-pura"). There is no "R" pronunciation in Japanese, so the "ra" at the end sounds like an extremely lightly pronounced "da." Or if you speak Spanish, the simple "ra" in Spanish pronunciation is similar.

    Teriyaki is pronounced almost monotonic. I can't really figure out which syllable carries more emphasis than others (definitely not on the "te" though). Again, there is no "R" in Japanese, so pronounce "ri" like Spanish or make it an extremely light "di."

    It's difficult to explain with no audio, but I hope this makes sense somewhat. Japanese can be difficult, but I know some people who went there to teach English and some of them have retained a lot of Japanese. Best of luck to your son!

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.