+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 96 FirstFirst ... 18192021222324252627282930313233343536373878 ... LastLast
Like Tree213Likes

Thread: Food Network

Re: Food Network

Quote Originally Posted by RealityDiva;2463865;
    I love the 'Ace of Cakes' show. I would love to have a really fun cake made for my Sweet 16... Plus, I love the vibe around that place.

Does anyone have any cakes that are their favorites from that show? I thought the tequila bottle/hangover cake was hilarious!
    I love Ace of Cakes! There is a thread dedicated to the show in the Other Reality Shows forum. There is a link to Charm City Cakes website in one of the posts where you can look at all of their different cakes.

Ace of Cakes on Food Network

Thank you so much for sharing that thread with me. I checked out the site and I loved looking through the gallery

But I guess my hopes and dreams of getting one of their cakes for my birthday are shattered - There's no way that my parents would pay $500 or more for a cake. Maybe another year!
    Currently Loving: Mystery from The Pickup Artist
    Currently Excited About: The modeling competition that I'm in! Wish me luck, guys...
    *Runner Up in the Kyle XY Caption Contest! Whoo!*

I was watching "Flying Knives" I can't believe how incredibly sorry these guys are. Yeah, nervous, windy or whatever but it was really a sad showing by most.

Yeah... But not nearly as "sorry" as I am...

I have seen this 4 times now, and, curiously, they haven't gotten any better ACK... I have to learn how to change the channel on the weekend!

;0))

PK
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. ~Mark Twain

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2464011;
    I really don't see why people get so upset about the tipping on the $40 a Day show. Like someone else posted earlier, I don't think the majority of people who watch the show go, "Wow, Rachael stiffed the staff, now I can, too!" The show is about giving people ideas on how to eat well for a moderate amount while on vacation. And she doesn't actually stiff the staff. I think she leaves about 15% for each tip. I am guessing that in real life, she tips higher--especially when it's a $12 lunch or what not. I know I always tip more at places that don't charge as much for their meals.

I am sure that she and the show don't actually pay the restaurants anything for the meals that are featured on the show--and that the restaurants she goes to for the show are happy for the exposure and that the server is happy to get on TV for a second or two, regardless of the crappy tip. It's a business arrangement. That's why so many restaurants give out free meals to celebrities--then they can call the gossip columns and say that so and so ate there. The publicity is worth more to them than charging the celebrity $150 for a meal.
    I am one who gets upset seeing Rachael stiff the staff. Why? Because I have always worked in the food industry, and we run into way too many customers who are completely clueless when it comes to tipping. We don't even get paychecks, because the measly $3.75 an hour gets taken away in taxes. (and we are lucky we get that- it used to be $2.13 an hour before Jan). When I see someone *showing* people how to eat good, by example, on $40.00 and then skimping on the tip- it pisses me off. She is basically saying that you can be selfish and eat well for $40, and if your budget doesn't have enough for the service staff- too bad! I, for one, whould never want any kind of exposure on tv, my interests are in feeding my kids not being on tv.
    Yes, I do realize that her meals are probably comped, and nobody will probably start tipping crappy just because she does, but I still find it irresponsible, on her part, to basically say it's okay to be cheap to hard working people who probably don't even have $40.00 a day to spend eating out. And, her tips are no where near 15%- she includes tax and tip together, which only amount to a few bucks- mostly in tax! (and by the way, 15% is even weak nowadays. 18% and above is/should be/getting to be the norm).

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

There's actually a tipping thread on the FoRT, but I thought someone already figured out some of Rachael Ray's tips and they were at least 15%. I remember reading that she tipped a dollar for a $1.25 beer in Oregon.

The show is a show. I personally don't know anyone who would spend the entire day going from one part of the city to another based on where to get the best food no matter how cheap it is. Who has that kind of time or energy? I think most people tend to eat somewhere near where they happen to be sightseeing.

If you get stiffed by a diner who's a bad tipper, I can almost guarantee you that they are just plain cheap or are probably foreigners who don't realize that tipping is customary in the U.S. I don't blame Rachael Ray for any of that. Some people are just stingy. Others will tip well for good service. And, if you're a wimp like me, you'll tip well even for bad service. (I need to stop doing that...)

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2465170;
    There's actually a tipping thread on the FoRT, but I thought someone already figured out some of Rachael Ray's tips and they were at least 15%. I remember reading that she tipped a dollar for a $1.25 beer in Oregon.

The show is a show. I personally don't know anyone who would spend the entire day going from one part of the city to another based on where to get the best food no matter how cheap it is. Who has that kind of time or energy? I think most people tend to eat somewhere near where they happen to be sightseeing.

If you get stiffed by a diner who's a bad tipper, I can almost guarantee you that they are just plain cheap or are probably foreigners who don't realize that tipping is customary in the U.S. I don't blame Rachael Ray for any of that. Some people are just stingy. Others will tip well for good service. And, if you're a wimp like me, you'll tip well even for bad service. (I need to stop doing that...)
    Yes, I do remember the dollar tip for the beer. It was the only time I actually felt she tipped what she should have I've personally never figured out what her percentage is- but it seems quite low to me.
    It is a show- I realize that. I still watch it. I enjoy it. I just hate the amount she tips. It doesn't keep me up at night, I don't let it get under my skin. (and I'm only talking on and on about it now because it was brought up) I'm just saying that when she is demonstrating how to eat out for $40, she should be including a decent tip. You would think someone in production would mention it to her. Of course I don't blame her for every other lousy tipper out there, but she doesn't help either. (If Stacy from What Not To Wear was nasty to every sales person she encountered when she goes from store to store, salespeople would be in an uproar, because it sets a bad example.)

That's all I'm saying...
    Anyway, we can agree to disagree. And I also tip for bad service as well....

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mikesgal;2465216;
    And I also tip for bad service as well....
    We shouldn't do that! I hate to not leave any tip at all, but I've left 15% for horrible service at restaurants or stylists that mangled my hair! I'm such a wimp! That's my way of saying, "Ha! I didn't leave you 20%!"

You know, when the show first started, they didn't take into account tax or tip at all...and they probably got a lot of complaints about that so they added those in. Maybe with all the complaints about cheapo tipping, they'll add a little more tip OR make it $45 or $50 a day. It could happen!

FORT Fogey

I think the reason they tip just BARELY 15% is to show that you can eat out rather inexpensive. It is just to give you an idea of some costs. If in real life, you are really REALLY on a tight budget, then forego the wine or beer and use that cash towards the tip.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by PugMum;2465644;
    I think the reason they tip just BARELY 15% is to show that you can eat out rather inexpensive. It is just to give you an idea of some costs. If in real life, you are really REALLY on a tight budget, then forego the wine or beer and use that cash towards the tip.
    Or, go to fast food where you don't have to tip at all

+ Reply to Thread