+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 100 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242526272829303132333435363777 ... LastLast
Like Tree228Likes

Thread: Food Network

FORT Fogey

Re: Food Network

Rachel Ray needs to learn to wash her hands and Sandra Lee needs to lay off the booze, that or come up with better recipes so you don't need the alcohol to wash them down with!

Splitting my time between Washington and Los Angeles

Does anyone notice the Rachael Ray does a lot of episodes of $40 a Day in Oregon? She goes to some really nice restaurants but some of the cities in Oregon that she goes are not places that I generally think of as "tourist areas" or such. (Not trying to be mean to anyone from Oregon... I'm born and raised in the Pacific Northwest) but there are so many other big time cities she hasn't gone to but I feel like every episode I see is her in Oregon.

. . . but there are so many other big time cities she [Rachel Ray] hasn't gone to . . .
    I haven't seen her do an episode in San Diego, but then again, if she pulled that lousy tipping crap here, she might be run out of town on a rail!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I love the 'Ace of Cakes' show. I would love to have a really fun cake made for my Sweet 16... Plus, I love the vibe around that place.

Does anyone have any cakes that are their favorites from that show? I thought the tequila bottle/hangover cake was hilarious!
    Currently Loving: Mystery from The Pickup Artist
    Currently Excited About: The modeling competition that I'm in! Wish me luck, guys...
    *Runner Up in the Kyle XY Caption Contest! Whoo!*

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RealityDiva;2463865;
    I love the 'Ace of Cakes' show. I would love to have a really fun cake made for my Sweet 16... Plus, I love the vibe around that place.

Does anyone have any cakes that are their favorites from that show? I thought the tequila bottle/hangover cake was hilarious!
    The Fist of Rock cake! lol that was a hoot.. and i loved the Cake he did for Glitterama. I am planing to go there for my daughters Birthday, If I can get one this year.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

I really don't see why people get so upset about the tipping on the $40 a Day show. Like someone else posted earlier, I don't think the majority of people who watch the show go, "Wow, Rachael stiffed the staff, now I can, too!" The show is about giving people ideas on how to eat well for a moderate amount while on vacation. And she doesn't actually stiff the staff. I think she leaves about 15% for each tip. I am guessing that in real life, she tips higher--especially when it's a $12 lunch or what not. I know I always tip more at places that don't charge as much for their meals.

I am sure that she and the show don't actually pay the restaurants anything for the meals that are featured on the show--and that the restaurants she goes to for the show are happy for the exposure and that the server is happy to get on TV for a second or two, regardless of the crappy tip. It's a business arrangement. That's why so many restaurants give out free meals to celebrities--then they can call the gossip columns and say that so and so ate there. The publicity is worth more to them than charging the celebrity $150 for a meal.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2464011;
    I really don't see why people get so upset about the tipping on the $40 a Day show. Like someone else posted earlier, I don't think the majority of people who watch the show go, "Wow, Rachael stiffed the staff, now I can, too!" The show is about giving people ideas on how to eat well for a moderate amount while on vacation. And she doesn't actually stiff the staff. I think she leaves about 15% for each tip. I am guessing that in real life, she tips higher--especially when it's a $12 lunch or what not. I know I always tip more at places that don't charge as much for their meals.

I am sure that she and the show don't actually pay the restaurants anything for the meals that are featured on the show--and that the restaurants she goes to for the show are happy for the exposure and that the server is happy to get on TV for a second or two, regardless of the crappy tip. It's a business arrangement. That's why so many restaurants give out free meals to celebrities--then they can call the gossip columns and say that so and so ate there. The publicity is worth more to them than charging the celebrity $150 for a meal.
    You are SO right!!

But it is SO much fun to snark on RR

Quote Originally Posted by PugMum;2463534;
    Rachel Ray needs to learn to wash her hands and Sandra Lee needs to lay off the booze, that or come up with better recipes so you don't need the alcohol to wash them down with!

I completely agree. Her nails are always dirty even before she starts cooking. You'd think someone working with food would clean under their nails. It looks so gross.

Quote Originally Posted by RealityDiva;2463865;
    I love the 'Ace of Cakes' show . . .
    Me too. The tequila bottle was hella fun. So are a lot of their various theme wedding cakes. I wonder, though, with so much of the cakes made of rice krispies treats and such, no mention is made of how the cakes taste, how much is really edible as dessert, etc. I know the main attraction is the creativity and how the cake looks, but I wonder about that stuff. If you get a Duff cake, do you have backup desserts at your party?

I'm looking forward to this week's trainwreck episode of TNFNS. According to the previews, it's going to be an Iron Chef:America challenge. I love Iron Chef -- both the original Japanese and the American spinoff -- but am more in awe of it because of the time factor. I'm a good cook, but I needs my time! The challenge with this crew will be entertaining -- and probably really, really funny.

+ Reply to Thread