+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 96 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930313233343575 ... LastLast
Like Tree213Likes

Thread: Food Network

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Re: Food Network

Quote Originally Posted by mrs. tino;2456615;
    Does anyone watch that new show that Giada does? I think it's called Giada's Weekend Getaways. I really like it, to me it's like $40 a Day without the crappy tipping.
    OMG 40 bucks a day DOES have some craptacular tipping doesn't it. Maybe its just me but when I rave about service and food... I tend to tip pretty well. I have heard just how bad Rachel Ray does tip and how big of a pain she is to wait on.. so I can see how it would be part of her show.

I was surprised on her Cleveland one she did.. the places she went.. were NOT the places to go in Cleveland to us that live here.. You go to Little Italy, you hit Mama Santa's!! At least for great food, and good price lol
    Last edited by FireWoman; 06-30-2007 at 04:03 PM.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Quote Originally Posted by FireWoman;2456862;
    I was surprised on her Cleveland one she did.. the places she went.. were NOT the places to go in Cleveland to us that live here..
    Same here when she did the Santa Fe show. People that live here were scratching their heads and dumbfounded after the show. Whoever her scout was that picks the places she goes to before she gets there did a particularly bad job on that show.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Stickers spits nickels... PK...'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrs. tino;2456615;
    Does anyone watch that new show that Giada does? I think it's called Giada's Weekend Getaways. I really like it, to me it's like $40 a Day without the crappy tipping.
    Even though I am not a fan of Giadas, I watched her special on Capri today, and got a very interesting recipe for stuffed eggplant... Though I will alter it a little to our taste, it certainly made it worth the watch!

;0))

PK
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. ~Mark Twain

FORT Regular

OMG I watched The Barefoot Contessa yesterday and she made these pecan bars dipped in chocolate no less! I was afraid I'd gained 10 lbs just watching her! I like her a little more each time I watch her show. She's very calming, and I'm amazed at the stuff she comes up with. I admire her for her ability to entertain.

I wish they had a show for the average housewife how to throw different kinds of informal (and formal too) parties.

Stickers spits nickels... PK...'s Avatar

I saw that same show... LOL... They certainly looked good...

That reminds me, she supposedly has an excellent vegetable beef soup... (No, I don't know why pecan bars brought that to mind... )

I am off to do a recipe search...

;0))

PK
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. ~Mark Twain

FORT Regular

I had to go and get the recipe for myself. Of course I don't know when I'll dare make them. Maybe when I'm pencil thin and people are wondering if I'm suddenly anorexic, lol. Like that's ever gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by PK...;2457000;
    Even though I am not a fan of Giadas, I watched her special on Capri today, and got a very interesting recipe for stuffed eggplant... Though I will alter it a little to our taste, it certainly made it worth the watch!
    I saw that special and the one on Santorini, and I loved them! It made me wish I lived the "jet setter" life and could go to Capri, all without feeling jealous of her, lol, that's quite an accomplishment. Capri seemed fantastic. I could tell just by the images on the TV screen how amazing those tomatoes were.

When hubby commented that she is difficult to watch, I reminded him I would rather watch Giada any day than Rachel Ray (whom he calls an "annoying little troll"), Ina Garten, or some of the others.

Then I accidentally caught an episode of her Weekend Getaways show, the one on Chicago, which I had to watch since my mother was from there. Giada is an accomplished mimic. I knew she pronounced all the Italian ingredients in Italian*, but then she pronounced a French word in French and, most striking of all, pronounced "Chicago" like a Chicagoan. I have heard that accent all my life, and even I can't manage to do that!

*I finally saw the All-Star BBQ (or did they call it All-Star Grilling, something like that?) that has been sitting on my DVR, and was vindicated by her pronunciation of "bruschetta" with the hard "k" sound, as I pronounce it, rather than the "s" sound as others pronounce it.
    I liked that special. I had to go out and get some club soda to try the blueberry ginger mojito recipe (I think that was Bobby Flay's recipe). What a foodie I am - I have fresh, organic ginger, blueberries, and mint laying around, but had to go out for club soda!

Quote Originally Posted by FireWoman;2456862;
    OMG 40 bucks a day DOES have some craptacular tipping doesn't it. Maybe its just me but when I rave about service and food... I tend to tip pretty well. I have heard just how bad Rachel Ray does tip and how big of a pain she is to wait on.. so I can see how it would be part of her show.
    Yup, while annoying overall, her cheap tipping was a standout irritant on that show. And the concept of the show was ridiculous. Anyone can eat well on $40 a day - that is a fortune to spend on a day's worth of food, even if you have to eat out for every meal - so the premise of the show stank from the get-go.
    Last edited by Harvest; 07-05-2007 at 11:16 AM.

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.

I saw a couple of Rachel's travel shows and she is a lousy tipper. $1.83 or $1.99. She won't even round up to the nearest dollar. Some one must have had a calculator to get the exact percentages and nothing more.

FORT Fogey

It does not bother me on $40 a Day when the tipping is small and she drinks water. I like to see all of the different cities that she visits. I think it is a great show concept.

FORT Regular

I too like $40 A Day to see the cities and places she goes. The low tipping doesn't bother me that much either, bc I figure those who are low tippers will still be cheap tippers whether RR sets an example or not. And those who are generous, will tip better than she does anyway.

Omaha has some great local restaurants, and you could easily eat for $40 a day here and have money left over. But we don't have much tourism here except for the Henry Doorly Zoo and the College World Series every summer, which the stadium is right next door to our world class zoo. Sure there are other things to see around here, but not much that you can't find in other more well-known cities.

+ Reply to Thread