+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 96 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242565 ... LastLast
Like Tree213Likes

Thread: Food Network

Splitting my time between Washington and Los Angeles

Re: Food Network

I actually like Giada, despite her EXTREMELY low cut shirts. I've tried making some of her food and the flavors are really good. I got an amazing coffee brownie recipe from her show and all my family and friends love it.

These days I can't really stand Rachael Ray. I really liked her in the beginning but she seems to have become a cartoon of herself. Plus me and my mother always wonder if all her meats and poultrys are cooked properly. I tend to wonder if it just looks cooked on the outside and might be raw on the inside.

And I love Alton Brown. He is one of the most entertaining Food Network hosts. I absolutely love his show.

Rachel Ray is like that song that you love when you first hear it and then they play it every hour for the next month and you end up hating it. You know that feeling? Yeah, that's what happened with RR. She's everywhere! I fully expect that someday I will open my fridge and she will jump out hollering something that ends in "O". Yummo?

(Aside: I just saw that epi with the espresso brownies.. they looked yummy!)

Splitting my time between Washington and Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;2445503;
    (Aside: I just saw that epi with the espresso brownies.. they looked yummy!)
    Oh they are!

But I will admit in terms of Rachael Ray I actually like $40 a day. I think it's a good concept and I love seeing all the different restaurants she visits.

Stickers spits nickels... PK...'s Avatar

I enjoy Rachael on her FoodNetwork shows, but she is just way too much on her talk show... I think I lasted half of one episode! I felt like I needed a Valium or some such, LOL...

I agree Barefoot can be a bit much. Though I did enjoy her bio when they aired it. I did help to know how she came to be...

Same with Giada, as a matter of fact.

Watching mostly on weekends, I seem to have gotten a crash course in pastry cheffing... I really do marvel at the various sugar creations. And I am most fond of "The Secret Life Of"...

Thanks for bumping this thread!

;0))

PK
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. ~Mark Twain

OK so what are your favorite shows?

I am a fiend, an absolute fiend, for any of the challenges. Loved the Disney villains in cake challenge! And watched the castle one the other night. Love the ones where sugar is involved, so talented!

I really like "The Secret Life Of...." too and I almost never miss Iron Chef: America and I usually watch the Bobby Flay Throw downs cause I like to see him lose! LOL

FORT Fogey

Alright, two threads to discuss the Food Network.

I like Paula Deen and any of the Rachael Ray shows.

Guy's two shows are good also. And I like Alton Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;2445494;
    Since we are talking about who we can't stand *grins*. I can't stand the Barefoot Contessa.
    I can't stand her because she got her show via a friendship with Martha Stewart, who put her on segments of Martha's (pre-prison) show, upon which Ina said she started out with a business career and decided to just buy that Barefoot Contessa shop, at which point she had to learn how to make the products so as not to be shown up by the employees. She does not come from a real food background. If anyone who is rich enough can buy their way into a profession they are not prepared for, I have absolutely no respect for that. I refuse to watch her show.

Quote Originally Posted by Texicana;1433586;
    Giada has a big head chock full 'o teeth. But she makes it work though
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl;1433583;
    Something about Giada bothers me, I can't put my finger on what exactly though (maybe it's related to DesertRose's "Lollipop Theory" )
    Lol, you guys, that big head and teeth do bother me, but I have a different theory about what might bug you (if the person who wrote that is still reading, as this was a 2005 thread that just got bumped up!!)

You know the VP who is on the Next Food Network Star? On another show he mentioned how he is intimidated by Giada. When watching her on that Star show, I can see why. The occasional comments she makes, and cold or disdainful looks she shoots people, make her so scary that she could be a younger version of Tony Soprano's mother. You have to be on the lookout for it, or the "lollipop effect" might distract you from noticing. When one of the contestants performed in a way she obviously disapproved of, she looked at him like she was a dangerous snake about to strike. She doesn't lack confidence, that's one way to put it. Another way to put it is judgmental. All the toothy smiles in the world cannot hide that steely quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;2445530;
    OK so what are your favorite shows?

I am a fiend, an absolute fiend, for any of the challenges. Loved the Disney villains in cake challenge! And watched the castle one the other night. Love the ones where sugar is involved, so talented!

I really like "The Secret Life Of...." too and I almost never miss Iron Chef: America and I usually watch the Bobby Flay Throw downs cause I like to see him lose! LOL
    Hah... Man, that Castle challenge was excellent... I never fail to be impressed with what those chefs can do with sugar! The chocolate challenges are mind boggling... And my all time favorite was the one where the sugar sculptures had to be carried from the "composing" table, over an obstacle course to the judges table... Palpitations seem to always accompany the trips, even though I have seen it several times already... (I know, I am easily entertained!)

And I am always surprised how Bobby puts a completely different spin on his choices in the throw downs... I like him... I have never made one of his recipes, but that's not really why I watch Food Net... And please don't ask me to clarify that statement, because I haven't a clue...

Meant to add, I do like Guy's shows... They made an excellent choice with him. His predecessors were not quite so lucky...

;0))

PK
    Last edited by PK...; 06-19-2007 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Forgot.... AGAIN!

No I totally understand that statement because I also don't watch to make the recipes. I just enjoy listening to the hosts and it inspires me to try what they do but do my own spin on it.

I remember the obstacle course one, that was intense!

Remember the one where the competitors were seniors and they made that cake that was way too heavy and their competition actually pitched in and helped them carry it to the table? Awesome and thats why I watch FN and these shows.

I really liked the BBQ cook off they had, I was craving ribs and BBQ chicken for a week! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;2445625;
    Remember the one where the competitors were seniors and they made that cake that was way too heavy and their competition actually pitched in and helped them carry it to the table? Awesome and thats why I watch FN and these shows.

I really liked the BBQ cook off they had, I was craving ribs and BBQ chicken for a week! LOL
    Dang! No, I didn't see that one... Maybe it will turn up again sometime...

I love the BBQ ones, too. But that is simply to compare theirs to mine, and thump my chest... Because (I have to watch myself, because I really want to say "cause" from habit - but I have just reread the FAQ, LOL...) I think I can BBQ with the best of them! AND on a gas grill...

;0))

PK

+ Reply to Thread