+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Monster House: Christmas House

Mosnter House: Christmas House

Just watched it. I saw the "cute girl" and said "there's no way she'll actually work", but I was wrong.

The team got along, they worked their butts off, and my wife cried at the end.

Oh, and we got to see our MalibuPam at least 3 more times.

There I was again! That was a good move, standing in front of Steve. We actually went out there twice, once midweek instigated by the jurassic homeowners, and then again before the reveal at the request of the producers. You didn't get to see the part where Santa came out and gave us all presents. We did 3 or 4 takes, and each time, Santa took all the presents back. Explain that to the kids! In the end, we went home with 6 XL Monster House shirts, though, so it all worked out nicely.

Now that ice skating floor--it needs to be coated with an oily substance to work. I heard from the owners that it was a disaster for the family dog, who would run across it, lose traction, and slam into the village, getting greasy in the process. And, there were problems with the train. I have not read the homeowner update yet, but the impression I got from the wife was that she was thrilled to see her mother, but not so thrilled with the rest. Over all, though, it was a great show, and she did a great job of looking happy.

It seemed like they were happier with the new couch than anything the Monster team did, I noticed.

Fun stuff. I guess it's like a box of chocolates or something...

I still think the Jurassic house is the best yet.

Christmas House Homeowner Update

Nancy was very candid! Wow, I ragged on the fish cost in my update, but I haven't even admitted to myself yet what I really think of that deck. Nancy, on the other hand, pulls no punches. Here she is, from the Monster House website:

Nancy, Christmas House

When you watched the Christmas House crew work on the indoor ice-skating room, did you think, "Ohhhhhh dear. I wouldn't want that in my house."

Well, unfortunately, so did Nancy.

Read on.

Q: How did you get on Monster House? WHY did you go on Monster House?

A: I was channel-hopping one evening when I came across the Medieval House episode. I had never heard of Monster House, and because I had only seen the last half of that program, I didn't really understand the concept until I visited the Web site. As we were planning to do some home decorating anyway, it seemed to make sense to apply to be on the show.

Editor's note: Apply to be on the show yourself by clicking here.

Q: What was your general decorating style before Monster House came along? How long have you lived in your house?

A: Our general decorating style is very colorful. We hate white walls and have painted various rooms yellow, green and red.

We moved into our house in July 2000.

Q: Where did the "Christmas" theme come from?

A: We originally wanted a "London" house, complete with a London Underground tube train carriage, cobblestones and gas lamps. But at the time, Monster House had just done Old English House and felt that the theme would be too similar. So the producers suggested a "Christmas house."

Q: Were you anxious at all while the guys were working on your house?

A: It is a very strange feeling to not be able to go anywhere near your house. I think that is what makes you nervous.

Q: Did you make any part of your house "off limits" (i.e., did you ask the guys not to touch any room or object)?

A: We asked them not to touch our kitchen cabinets or counters, as we had just refitted our kitchen a year ago.

Q: In general, what renovations were you expecting the crew to make, if any?

A: We were hoping they would replace the tile floor in the hallway, kitchen and family room. We also anticipated they would change out our fireplace.

Q: Describe your reaction to the "reveal" of your newly monsterized house.

A: The reveal process is very overwhelming. It is difficult to take in all the changes that have been made to your house. While we were waiting to enter the main rooms, we were told to stay in the hallway. At that point, I could see the hallway had been painted dark blue and all the molding and pictures had been removed from that area. I hated it instantly.

As we went into the family room, I was struck by how little had changed. Most of our furniture was still in the room, and while the fireplace had been refinished with new stone, it still looked essentially the same. When they took us into the ice-skating room, I was shocked by what had been done to the room. However, at that point, they brought my mum out (the producers had flown my mum in from England), so I didn't end up really looking at the ice-skating room.

Q: We hear you weren't crazy about many of the Monster changes. Which ones? Why?

A: We absolutely hate the ice-skating room. The flooring is ugly and very slippery. The models are great, but you can't put any furniture against the walls. We really dislike the dark-blue paint. We also didn't like the fact that our shutters had been removed from that room and the windows left bare. In the other room, I didn't like the fact that our white plantation shutters had been painted brown. The snow globe has never worked, and the train keeps falling off the tracks.

Q: Will you be changing any of these renovations back? Which ones? How soon?

A: The Monster House producers have offered to remove everything from the ice-skating room and paint the walls white. We will also be removing the railway. This will be done in early January. We are very grateful to Original Productions for helping us make these changes, as they are not obliged to do so.

Q: Were there any renovations you liked?

A: We liked the Pergo floor that was put down, and the fireplace was an improvement over what we had.

Q: Ideally, what would your "Christmas House" have looked like?

A: We don't really know.

Q: What do you guys do for a living?

A: I am the associate publisher/managing editor of three magazines for public-safety personnel: Emergency Medical Services Magazine, Advanced Rescue Technology Magazine and Frontline First Responder Magazine. Jeff is a detective for the Los Angeles Police Department.

Q: What do you like to do in your spare time?

A: We love going to the movies and traveling overseas.

Q: We hear a number of former Monster homeowners get together now on a regular basis. If you could have any one of the other houses, which one would it be?

A: We really liked the Mobster House.

Pam here again, Nancy also mentioned to me that the kitchen was a mess after the crew left. Seeing Steve cooking, now we know why!

Thanks for that, Pam. Now, I'm going to be a little mean here, so shut your eyes

She definitely needed to watch more than half of one episode of MH before applying.

And when you "turn over all design and construction decisions to Steve Watson", you do exactly that. If you just want your house remodeled in a specific way, don't sign up for Monster House, because chances are it's not going to be what you wanted it to be.

I think it's nice of the MH production to offer to remove most of the changes, but if I were them, I wouldn't. She rolled the dice, she didn't like the outcome, but that's too bad.

Okay, my eyes are closed!

You have a good point, John. One way this family seemed to differ is that they did not have the "take my house and do whatever" attitude that we and most of the other homeowners had.

When we went out there the first time, on Thursday night, I ended up in the fifth wheel talking to Nancy while the kids all used her little RV potty. She was very nervous about what was being built. I don't mean a little nervous. I mean downright scared to the point that I wondered if she was cut out for this. I was just surprised that they had the you-know-whats to look the producers in the eye, after the camera was off, and say they weren't happy.

I agree, Pam. I noticed that several times, she seemed like she wanted to back out of it.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Dang it. I started watching the episode last night...I woke up at 2:30 a.m!!!!

The only thing I saw was the very beginning.

I wasn't too crazy about thier ideas for the house either...it didn't seem so Monster House-ish. The ice-skating rink, imho, wasn't a great thing to do to a house.
    Also, by what she said for answers, it doesn't seem as if she was really prepared to do this. I watch every episode and I always wonder if I could have them smash through my house, and I really don't think I could. For her to decide to do it after seeing only the mediaeval episode is a bit silly. Sounds as if they wanted remodeling, but not the MH type.

Anywho..thanks for the info Pam, I was trying so hard to stay up, but I just couldn't do it. I'm hoping to catch it another night. Anyone know if it'll be shown again?!
    Last edited by Maveno; 12-23-2003 at 12:27 PM.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Maveno, according to the Discovery Channel website, the Christmas House will be re-aired on December 27 at 5pm Eastern.

And on New Year's Eve (12/31), beginning at 8pm, there is a Monster House Marathon - see 6 episodes back to back.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Hey thanks John!!

I honestly forget that there are other sites with the info for these shows. lol--Guess your site is doing something right for me.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast