+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Monster House: Christmas House

Well Pam, you might want to turn away from my post too.

I can't help but feel deeply offended by some of the things I hear from some of these HOs about how much they hate what was done and seeing how this team went bonkers trying to capture some of her home village, to have her poop on their efforts is really disheartening and makes me feel absolutely sick for the team that busted their butts.

Why sign up for Monster House if you expect practical, aesthetically pristine designs that always operate perfectly with no further effort on the HOs part? Basically, you're signing up to be a lab rat, to have your house subjected to every wild and crazy idea of Steve and the design team. This fits right in with the Survivor/Osten analogy - if you can't handle a month and a half on a tropical island with bugs, snakes and not a lot of food, then why apply to be on the show? If you want Miss Manners to come in and slipcover your couch, build you an entertainment center and install a new chef's stove, you don't call Monster House.

I cried at the end of this ep when the HO got to see her mom and now reading her comments about the show and her house, I feel cheated and pretty disgusted. If she thought all of those things, that's fine. But to say them is a pretty low-class hit to the people who worked so hard to do something nice for her.

Bah, I'm liking this show less and less the more I hear about how the HO's like to get together and complain about their houses.

Quote Originally Posted by pink_princess
    Bah, I'm liking this show less and less the more I hear about how the HO's like to get together and complain about their houses.
    Now Pink, it isn't as bad as all that. Keep in mind, the Monster Experience is quite a big deal to have happen to your house and in your life. Your whole life is turned upside down for a couple of weeks. There are wonderful things that come out of it--free stuff, being on TV, being momentarily recognized, plus the whole experience of being in the midst of a TV production. It is an amazingly cool and fun thing to do. But there are some down-sides too. Considering how we get so much out of it, I think all of us Monster HO's feel a lot of pressure to keep up the smiling face, that it is all good, so that no one feels we are ungrateful. Or that it is our own fault for inviting Steve Watson to come in and we got what we asked for. But . . .

It was so nice to be able to talk to the other HO's about our common experiences. Like, was your kitchen a mess afterwards? OMG, you should have seen all the spilled stuff in my fridge! Was there paint dust in all of your closets too? Sometimes you just need to let down your hair and talk to someone with a sympathetic ear, who understands. Someone who won't think you are ungrateful, or an idiot for signing up in the first place. Asking Monster House to come in is a gamble that all of us were willing to take, and we took the good with the bad.

Just an aside, if you were to rent your house out to a production company for filming TV or Movies, you would get about $5000 a day. More for a large home including upstairs, less for a small home limited areas. My sister in Pasadena gets $5000 a day for the downstairs-only use of her house. Now consider that all of us Monster HO's let Original Productions come in, not for the market rate of $35,000 ++ a week, but for nothing more than the experience and whatever surprises they might put in. I think we're not so bad after all, even if we don't automatically love everything they do.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Well, all I have to say about this topic is this...

There is no clause in the contract that says the HO's must be happy with what is done to the home. By no means would I be happy with every single thing that MH has done to every single house...in fact, the Tiki House, I would have been down-right pissed off about the fire-breathing, evil monster-looking fireplace that they built. In another one, they put a HUGE industrial fan on the roof and when you turn it on it's suppose to simulate a monsoon. ?? wtf?! What a waste of time and $$, imo it would never be used. In Pam's case, they installed a hugeee fish tank..yes, it's beautiful and all..but what about the cost of operation? Pam loves the fish, but doesn't have the skills yet to do it on her own...and they're seriously considering whether to keep it. In this episode, think about it... an ice rink in the middle of the room!?
    I can see different reasons for the HO's to be dissatisfied on many levels, and it depends on the situations of each home.

These HO's don't even have a say with what is done, and to top it off, they don't even know what the crew is going to actually do until they see the reveal. I understand that they KNEW what they were "getting into" when they signed up..but even as Steve says throughout the build to the crew..."lets not forget everyone, a family has to live here.."..

The show wouldn't be a hit if there were no "real feelings" in regards to the outcome. It's very difficult for me to understand how you wouldn't like the show anymore just cause you hear the HO's opinions. If all I heard was that they loved loved loved it...I'd know that they're lying, and I wouldn't care to hear the fluff they're spewing. I absolutely admire honesty, and to hear it from these HO's only makes me like the show more..cause it's real.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    ok, I saw this show, didn't know which house malibupam was in, I have missed a few. but I got to agree, an Ice rink in the room is kind of hard to be thrilled about the whole time, but the theme was christmas and it's cold at christmas unless you live in the lower hemesphere of the world,. Glad to see the producers are willing to make some changes back, but the did give steve and the crew "complete control" over the house.

Pam which house was yours that they did?

Hers was the "Under the Sea" home. Where they built a telescope, and an all steel-like upper deck, replaced the front door with a more "submarine-looking" door with a portal hole and a HUGE fishtank..I think it was something like 50 gallons. It was a good one to watch.

Joeguy, I'm the "Under the Sea" mom. Our house was done up as the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea Victorian (antique and civilized) submarine look. That take on it was a surprise to us, since we were expecting more of a rough-and-tumble ocean floor look! Under the Sea is all we knew to expect. Our biggest items were a "viewing platform", really a balcony, built out into the space over the living room, and a 250 gallon (72 x 36 x 24) saltwater aquarium (with a 60 gallon sump tank down below in the stand, for the pumps and filters). Our episode will be on again towards the end of January, I think.

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    thanks, I missed that one. I will be looking for it thats for sure.

I was off by ooohhhh....200 or so gallons.. !?

Okay, now I saw the 100k special and I was not impressed by the end results.
    50k each house...should of had me decorate them.
    leave the gun...take the canolis - The Godfather

You must be looking for the Trading Spaces thread, Zaaam.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast