+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Extreme Makeover: Home Edition (ABC)

Extreme Makeover: Home Edition (ABC)

ONE DESERVING FAMILY + ONE RUN-DOWN HOUSE + SIX OPINIONATED
    DESIGNERS = "EXTREME MAKEOVER: HOME EDITION"

And with Only One Week to Do a Four-Month Job,
    Will the Family Return to Dazzling or Disastrous?

Put together one very run-down house, a deserving family, six opinionated designers, seven days and what do you get? The answer is -- an "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition," a one-hour special that will be the first of a series, airing WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 3 (10:00-11:00 p.m., ET), on the ABC Television Network.

In a race against time on a project that would ordinarily take four months to achieve, a team of designers, 100 workmen and even the neighbors, have just seven days to completely renovate an entire house - every single room, plus the exterior and landscaping.

In the inaugural special, "Pilot," the Powers family from Santa Clarita, California, became the lucky recipients of a home makeover. They expected new paint and furniture, but on "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition," walls are moved, floors are replaced and fašades are radically reconceived. The result is a decorator's delight... if it can be done in time.

From the moment team leader Ty Pennington, the carpenter from TLC's "Trading Spaces," gives a surprise morning wake-up call to Rodney and Kristin Powers and their three children -- Brittni, 14, Reid, 11 and six-year-old Olivia -- their lives are forever changed. To keep the renovation a complete surprise, the whole family was whisked off to the airport by limousine, on their way to the Bahamas for their first-ever-family vacation, courtesy of the show.

The Powers had tried to make improvements to their fixer-upper home, but when youngest daughter Olivia was diagnosed with a life-threatening form of leukemia, caring for her became a family affair and took time away from working on the house. Now cured, Olivia got through her cancer treatment with the loving support of family and friends, including a special mural in the house her mother painted that reads: "Take one day at a time...live, love & laugh...be strong, be you...breathe."

Along with Ty Pennington, the other members of the design team that worked their creative magic on the Powers' home are Constance Ramos, Preston Sharp, Michael Moloney, Paul DiMeo and Tracy Hutson. To get the job done, they're going to have to cooperate with each other -- a hard thing to do when they don't always even like each other. Tensions flare as tastes are disputed and the deadline approaches....can they get the job done?

The executive producers of "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" are John DeMol and Tom Forman. The show is from Endemol Entertainment USA.

A TV parental guideline will be assigned closer to airdate.

I think this sounds like it will be interesting.
    I'm particularly pleased that they appear to have made an educated decision of which family to give the makeover to, unlike the $100,000 TS where the choice seemed completely random.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    I think this sounds like it will be interesting.
    I'm particularly pleased that they appear to have made an educated decision of which family to give the makeover to, unlike the $100,000 TS where the choice seemed completely random.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
    ugh. I don't get time to watch TV anymore, much less hang out at the FORT.

But don't you worry, I'll be back in full force on or about November 3rd.

Extreme Makeover Home Edition

I'm watching this and its HILARIOUS. Why isn't there a topic for this?

A one week deadline, a family away who's expecting to return to what would normally be a 4 month rebuild in that time, and tons of chaos.

Wacky hijinks include:
    -torturous misleading calls to the family while they are away
    -a wacky unnecessary "Pirate ship" for the kids in the backyard which detracts from the REAL job.
    -a designer who apparently can't draw and refuses to turn in anything beforehand
    -Queenish behavior from both men and women. Bickering and personal conflicts. People undermining each other's work and being catty.
    -night vision invasions of the neighbors' jacuzzi
    -lame labor disputes played, I think, for comedy
    -a miracle save at the end (the master bathroom was finished while they distracted the family in the rest of the house), but we don't get to see all the stuff that surely was wrong

Think 1/3 Extreme Makeover, 1/3 Queer Eye, and 1/3 Monster House, but more manic by a large multiple. Also, a bonus third of something with people bickering all of the time. :-)

Also: Why can people NEVER think of something better than "Oh my god" to say on ANY show like this? Oh my god. I'm sick of it!

The stupid Pirate ship got the biggest "Oh my god", but I still thought it was a frickin' waste. I mean at one point they were WAY behind on the rest of the house and two designer's wasted about 3 days just on this thing, and the labor for it must have taken two or three days from at least 10 laborers, I'd bet.

A funny caveat at the end. One of the most obsessive designers spent a huge amount of time being secretive and hiding the youngest daughter's room from everybody. At the end he revealed that one special "feature" was a hole cut in the back of her closet which led into the parent's room, because the parents told them that daughter gets scared and likes to sleep with them. I was wondering what parents, who are trying to get their daughter PAST that kind of behavior might think, especially if they ever wanted to be... er... intimate with each other.
    Last edited by Krom; 12-03-2003 at 11:02 PM.

Don't think its a regular series

Overall it was interesting to say the least. I agree on the "oh my god"s', if I heard that one more time I would have screamed. Everyone seemed to be trying to stay on schedule except for that one clown Preston. He is supposed to be some kind of wunderkind of designer but ended up being a burned-out, self absorbed, arrogant, self centered, lazy, pompous, egotistical, self righteous, pretentious, stuffy, anal retentive, sore arm from patting his own back, which is sore from bending over to kiss his own ass, narcistic rat bastard. I wouldn' waste good money to hire the fool and then have to put up with his "artistic" bent. I was surprised that they didn't fire his butt, he was the only one that they showed that got on Everyone's nerves. He does not play well with others!!! He probably doesn't play well with himself either.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

I really enjoyed seeing what they did with the house. Some very nice ideas, indeed. Krom, that is funny about the door to the parents' room. I guess they can always block that off. However, the huge dollhouse he built for her was awesome - every little girl would love something like that.

Preston, Preston, Preston. I was wondering at the end if he actually ended up contributing anything. Such drama!

I thought the truck thing turned out great. At first, I thought the dad might freak out about it, but it was all good. Very creative idea with the bed and the son's room looked fabulous.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Is this the first time this show comes on? I started watching half-way into the show, and was really impressed. I didn't think they would be able to pull it off because the family was on their way back and the house looked like a mess.

I loved how everything turned out. The little girls room was so darling, but I'm not sure I liked the grass(was it real?) inside the room. The surfer room for the other girl was so cool!

Preston was a perfectionist, and had too many jumbled ideas, but I guess in the end, everything turned out okay, thanks to Constance.

All the "Oh My God's" were also getting on my nerves, but I was really happy for the family, though.

FORT Fan

Extreme Makeover Home Edition Very Cool!

Hi,

Just finished watching Extreme Makeover Home Edition, and it is a very good show.

The result is much better than other home decorating shows like Trading Spaces.

They even have Ty from TS there helping out.

There should be a new forum for this great show!

FORT Fan
    I just saw the first show, and the result is stunning!

The budget, while large, is put into many good, practical uses.

Ty is even there, in a more serious self than on TS.

Rab
    Their new house was awesome. I'd kill for a front yard like that. Building a house in a week must've been extremely difficult.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast