+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Extreme Makeover: Home Edition (ABC)

Win Together, Die Alone JustJuls's Avatar

Re: Extreme Makeover: Home Edition (ABC)

Anyone watch tonights show? What a wonderful, giving family. I fell in love with that little boy! What a sweetheart!

I really had to dig to find this thread. Page 9. I guess it's not exactly the most discussed show. If you watch it you just watch it. Not much to discuss.
    Until today.
    I just clicked on a link on MSN about the EM:HE homes & how many of the families are being foreclosed & losing their houses. Most of them are because the families decided to use the houses as their own private gold mine, taking out huge loans against the houses (many hundreds of thousands of dollars) and then not being able to pay the loan payments........thus forclosure.
    The loans are for failed business ventures, to pay their other bills, landscaping, upkeep, and of course more fancy stuff they don't really need.
    Apparently these families are thoroughly advised by the show people not to use the houses as cash cows, & how to budget their former house payments for increased household expenses/bills, but noooooooooo they don't listen.

This doesn't surprise me at all. I've always suspected that this happened.
    It's the whole "poor-people-who-come-into-money" syndrome. Their intentions may be good, but they act as if the money & stuff is just going to keep on coming, instead of just appreciating the good fortune they received.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
    Has anyone heard about this before?
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I believe this has happened to at least one other family in the past few years. It is not surprising. I always wondered why they didnt put the house into some kind of trust and allow them to only mortgage up to their previous home's worth. The other point in one of the articles I read was that the homes are normally in neighborhoods that are much lower in average price than the home is worth making it harder to sell the house if they have to sell. All in all the show wanted it to be extreme and they didnt take into account that the home owners might not need that much extreme!!

I actually volunteered on the RI house 2 years back. After that experience, I was rather soured on the whole "extreme" mentality. So much waste that could have been saved/recycled,plus insane donating to just one family because of the show.

While I don't doubt that many of the recipients in the past have needed improved housing and living conditions, I find it somewhat offensive that so much is put into one house. Some of the homes were turned into mansions that were so over the top as to be ludricous. I'm not surprised to hear about foreclosures. If spread around a neighborhood or extended family, more modest improvements could go much further and be much easier to maintain.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

I was soured on it after someone in my locale got one of the houses essentially due to a job title and an exercise in bad judgment on their part in the first place. Bought more house than they could afford in the first place didn't have the money to put into said house and because of the job title and job title alone their bad choices were rewarded by giving them a nice shiny new mansion. After seeing the families passed by for the house, who didn't make reckless financial decisions, I have issues with the show.

I thought it was a great concept back in the day but there seems to be some blurry line between what is needed and what is wanted. Some of these houses have had systems put in for air filtration etc. and I can't even begin to imagine the maintenance costs to the family for those. Or the difficulty selling these beasts when you finally need to get out from under them. I've heard of a few that have been foreclosed on after more lending was done. Or the taxes that they get to pay yearly. I would think it would be very helpful for some of the families with financial issues to get some serious financial counseling as part of the show so they don't end up in the same pickle.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

One of the EM:HE houses was about 5 miles from where we live, and they, too, fell into the "mortgage the new house" trap and are now losing the home. It's nice to help people, but in this case:
    • No one on the production staff checked ahead of time; these people were RENTING the home. ABC had to buy it so they could refurbish it.
    • They were struggling to support 6 kids when the makeover was being done.
    • Dad was too disabled to work, so Mom was the breadwinner.
    • They had a 7th child AFTER the show was aired (so Dad wasn't "completely" disabled).
    • Workmanship was shoddy; in some places, the outside walls didn't meet the foundation (not sure how that passed inspection), and light switches weren't connected to the power supply.
    • The house was said to be cluttered and unkempt because there wasn't enough space for the family.
    • The house is now HUGE, and still cluttered and unkempt. The yard is horrendous.
    • When realtors show the house (which is on the market to try to avoid foreclosure), they make it clear to those going to see it that it is "lived in."
    • The house is way too overpriced now for the neighborhood and the condition of the property.

Sad.

Some of the worksmanship was a little shoddy on the house near me too. Not quite as shoddy as not meeting the foundation but questionable quality.

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos;3874273;
    Some of the worksmanship was a little shoddy on the house near me too. Not quite as shoddy as not meeting the foundation but questionable quality.
    Is the shoddy workmanship from the Extreme Makeover team?
    That would suck if it were.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I don't know which individual was responsible for it either the contractors or the "team" but realistically I wasn't expecting it to be pristine workmanship. Between the time restraints, the weather, and the inexperienced people working on the house that's kind of the risk you take with these things.

But it wasn't nearly as bad as what AZChristain described. But again that doesn't surprise me either. They come in to get a house done quick. Not a house done well.

From what I saw firsthand during my time volunteering at the RI house, it doesn't surprise me that some houses may end up with shoddy work. These people are under an artificial time constraint and SCRAMBLING to basically do the impossible: build a full house in a week.

Think about it: crowds coming to view the progress, construction debris everywhere, crews running around, bigwigs viewing and positioning... it got pretty crazy. I went in once to clean debris literally right out from under the construction crews (material was dropped and left until someone else could pick it up). I had to watch out for live power tools, open staircases, nailguns, and other "fun" hazards.

Plus to cap off the insanity, they laid sod and planted all new landscaping right after a snowstorm!
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678