+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Extreme Makeover: Home Edition (ABC)

His Peace after the Storm cafegirl's Avatar
    Well, Krom, I don't care how corny it was to have both Davy Jones (who I'm sure none of the Craft children or his students had any clue as to who he was) and Kermit, but this was filmed in my little home town and I got to be part of the volunteers and the move the bus scene. For a small community like ours this was a very BIG deal! The Craft family (whom I really don't know personally) are well loved by the towns people and especially his students. I honestly didn't know about all the hardships this family had gone through with their children but they are very humble and appreciative of all that EMHE did for them. It was pretty cool to watch the show and recognize so many people as well. I wasn't in any scenes but you feel a real part of a show like this when it involves people you know. This community and the neighboring town where he teaches and coaches are very small but this community, like so many small towns across America where everyone cares about their neighbors even if they don't know them very well, all come together to help someone in need.
    When we heard Kermit was going to be the Project Mgr. instead of Ty, as you can imagine, at first everyone including Elizabeth Craft (the mom) were a little disappointed, but Kermit was cute and the bottom line is, the family got a tremendous gift. I have thought this show was getting cheesier than ever, but one's perspective is different when you know those involved and realize that what was done, really does make a difference.
    "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me!"

That's so cool cafegirl! The family was sweet and the home was amazing. I didn't see the beginning so I don't know why their child died nor what was wrong with the other little one. Can someone fill me in? Loved the frog room!!
    Yup, with donuts!!

His Peace after the Storm cafegirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buglover View Post
    That's so cool cafegirl! The family was sweet and the home was amazing. I didn't see the beginning so I don't know why their child died nor what was wrong with the other little one. Can someone fill me in? Loved the frog room!!
    It really was cool, buglover. The little girl Bella has a brain malformation where over half her brain was never formed. The medical term, I had to look up, Alobas Holoprosencephaly. Their baby boy who died shortly after birth was diagnosed with some abnormality during a routine sonogram but I don't know the exact condition. I don't think it was mentioned but their oldest daughter has Tourette's syndrome and is treated through medication.
    Here's a link to the ABC EM feature about the family.
    http://abc.go.com/primetime/xtremehome/bios/322.html
    "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me!"

I loved the show last night and sang along to the Rainbow Connection.

The family seemed very salt of the earth and hearing what they had gone through made me cry.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Krom, the show turned out to be much better than the description. I actually got a big kick out of watching Kermie as host, particularly when the 2-year old was man-handling him. The second oldest daughter wanted a "monkey" bedroom, so they brought in Davy Jones and pretended they were giving her a "Monkee" bedroom. Good show.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

I was so touched by this family... when the mom rubbed the cheek of little Bella and said "Now I can give you a bath", I was near tears. Simple things that I take for granted with my own kids. It's amazing how much one family can be dealt and still able to handle it. And I loved Kermie. What a cutie. It wasn't nearly as corny as I thought it would be when seeing the description.
    "They want you to do a TV show?"
    "Well, they want me to come up with an idea. I don't have any ideas."
    "C'mon, how hard is that? Look at all the junk that's on TV."
    - George and Jerry, in "The Pitch"

MRD

Re: Extreme Makeover: Home Edition (ABC)

Boy this is really a shame. The family gets the opportunity of a lifetime and screws it up and faces losing the home.
    And all those people that helped feel upset.

I know that it's probably impossible, but it seems to me like they could put the ownership of the home in a trust for the families, so that they can't overmortage the houses.

'Extreme Makeover' house faces foreclosure - Yahoo! News

'Extreme Makeover' house faces foreclosure Mon Jul 28, 2:32 PM ET

LAKE CITY, Ga. - More than 1,800 people showed up to help ABC's "Extreme Makeover" team demolish a family's decrepit home and replace it with a sparkling, four-bedroom mini-mansion in 2005.

Three years later, the reality TV show's most ambitious project at the time has become the latest victim of the foreclosure crisis.

After the Harper family used the two-story home as collateral for a $450,000 loan, it's set to go to auction on the steps of the Clayton County Courthouse Aug. 5. The couple did not return phone calls Monday, but told WSB-TV they received the loan for a construction business that failed.

The house was built in January 2005, after Atlanta-based Beazer Homes USA and ABC's "Extreme Makeover" demolished their old home and its faulty septic system. Within six days, construction crews and hoards of volunteers had completed work on the largest home that the television program had yet built.

The finished product was a four-bedroom house with decorative rock walls and a three-car garage that towered over ranch and split-level homes in their Clayton County neighborhood. The home's door opened into a lobby that featured four fireplaces, a solarium, a music room and a plush new office.

Materials and labor were donated for the home, which would have cost about $450,000 to build. Beazer Homes' employees and company partners also raised $250,000 in contributions for the family, including scholarships for the couple's three children and a home maintenance fund.

ABC said in a statement that it advises each family to consult a financial planner after they get their new home. "Ultimately, financial matters are personal, and we work to respect the privacy of the families," the network said.

Some of the volunteers who helped build the home were less than thrilled about the family's financial decisions.

"It's aggravating. It just makes you mad. You do that much work, and they just squander it," Lake City Mayor Willie Oswalt, who helped vault a massive beam into place in the Harper's living room, told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I just read that and was going to come post it, lol, you beat me to it.

They have never made it clear on the show if they help the families beyond remodeling the houses and reading all the additional stuff they do....home maintenance fund...scholarships for the kids...is really cool. What's not cool is finding out that the family have lost the home because they took out a home equity loan to start a business.

I don't understand that mentality, one of my neighbors lives in a house that her father bought her. Its paid for and she took out a home equity loan and now whines about having to make mortgage payments. If I ever had a home given to me that was completely paid for? You can bet your bottom I'd never do anything to jeopardize that house or to add another debt (IE mortgage).

It just makes me mad that the volunteers went to all that effort to help a family out they felt needed it only to find out it all was for nothing.

MRD

I feel the same way. I have a friend who lost her husband many, many, many years ago and was able to pay off her home from his life insurance. She went on to re-marry and have more children with the new husband, but they have never mortgaged the home. She says that's am extreme backup for an extreme emergency. She says that because they haven't had a mortgage, they've been able to use the money that most people use for house payments as college funds for the children. Good idea.

I have heard of people having trouble paying the taxes on these new homes because the value rises to WAY more than their old homes, but from the article I posted, it appears that there was a fund set aside to help with home maitenence and taxes??

You'd think that besides giving them the home and all the extras, they'd also send them to a class to learn about finances so they wouldn't end up losing the home. If I was one of the volunteers or donors, I'd be really upset about all this. But I guess once given, it's a gift and then it belongs to them and they can do with it as they please, but it's sad to know that they really squandered a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Just an FYI, My husband has had his own construction business before and just recently started one again. I can tell you from experience it does NOT take $450,000 to start a company. We literally have started our own company with as little as $2000. Makes you wonder what else they may have used the money for.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Yeah, if it takes that much to start up a business then nobody would ever start one! So I'm thinking cars, jewels, trips, etc....everything but what it was meant for and good for your friend that she resisted the lure of easy money and held onto something more valuable (a home that nobody can ever take away from you).

I don't think its the responsibility of the show to send them to financial classes, they do so much for these families as it is. I do fear that hearing stories like this will make both people and businesses less willing to donate time and merchandise. That would be sad for those families who honestly take this gift and make something of it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast