+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is television going to be the death of me??

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar

Is television going to be the death of me??

Well, I was very proud of myself yesterday/last night regarding my reality tv viewing. I thought I'd share with everyone what I did, and I'm curious to know if I'm crazy...or if others do the same thing.

I left work at 5:15, got home in time to start watching MNF. (6 pm to 9ish pm)

When 8 o'clock came around, JM2 started....I quickly changed the channel to it during football commercials. Knowing that it was a 2 hour finale, I realized that (shocker here) that the first hour of JM2 was going to be boring recaps of the whole show. So I basically stayed the course with the MNF game, randomly checking to see if JM2 was still in recap mode..it was.

Saw the end of the game, and it was good. Unfortunately...it ended about 9:20 pm, so I KNEW I only had 10 minutes to watch JM2 before I had to click to AJ, which for some odd reason decided they were changing the schedule ONLY FOR THIS WEEKS EPISODE to start at 9:30 instead of 10. Tuning in to David..he's staring at an empty room. I was pretty bummed that I rushed to see him stare at nothing for over 5 minutes.
    Oh well, time to tune into Average Joe. I'm trying not to switch to JM2..but I do (on commercials only)...and I see David standing with his horse and Linda "surprise" him from behind. Ok, so I at least know that he picked Linda..... back to Av. Joe.
    I watch the entire 90 minute episode of Av. Joe, and am pleased with myself. It's 10:30 now, and I get up to stretch my legs.

11 pm rolls around and guess what?! Monster House has a new episode on!! YEAH! I watch that for an hour.
    12 pm rolls in...and guess what?? A new episode of King of the Jungle is on!!! YEAH!! I watch that as I flip over to Monster Garage (yes, new episode ) on commercials.
    1 am crawls into the picture and damn it...American Chopper is on. It's not a new episode...so I watch it in the living room for about 15 minutes and decide to watch the rest in bed.
    I fall asleep at about 1:30ish/1:45ish am.

So. Here it is.......

Monday Night Football
    Joe Millionaire Finale
    Average Joe
    Monster House
    Monster Garage
    King of the Jungle
    American Chopper

From 6 pm til about 1:45 am.... I'm the remote control master!!! I know I watch alot of television and I definately am not new to watching two tv shows at once..but I think this was one of my MOST successful reality show evenings, EVAAR!

So... am I crazy? Or can someone top that evening of unadulterated television?
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Whew, Maveno. I'm tired and my eyes are blurry just from reading about all you watched last night! Have you tried to tape one show while watching another?

My vcr is old, and I can't tape while watching something else.

On the UP side... we're going to be getting TiVO soon!!!!! Lord, I'm going to be pale, weak, squinty eyed, moody....etc...etc.... But I'll know ALLL the shows!!! ::evil laugh::

People have mentioned TiVO before. Is it a digital/satellite service?

TiVo is a digital recorder, like a VCR with no tape. but it allows you to record something while watching something you've already TiVo'ed, or if you have it in conjuction with a DirecTV system, you can record something while watching something live on a different channel (but you can't do that if you only have the standalone TiVo system, so watch it!).

It also has a built-in TV Guide, it starts to learn what you like and records it if it thinks you might like it and has room to do so, knows if your show starts 2 minutes early, and lets you pause live TV for the idiots who DARE to call during Survivor.

Jeez, Maveno, I hope you didn't hurt yourself!
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Yeah thats pretty impressive, my Monday nights at 9 was packed last night because I was watchin MNF, JM2, Average Joe, Las Vegas while trying my hardest to not turn on my favourite show The O.C. and ruin the episode for me when I watch it on Wednesday nights. That is the hardest part.

Yeah, I have a TiVo-Like device....Ultimate TV, which is a Microsoft box that uses Directv to provide the ability to record 2 shows at once, and you can still watch a 3rd(already recorded) show too. And Mav...I've had evenings like the one you just described, where--utilizing the "skip ahead" feature to skip commercials--I have watched an entire weekends worth of shows in a 6-7 hour stretch. And I record a lot on the weekends....SNL, Joan of Arcadia, Simpsons(all airings), Malcolm, King of the Hill, Grounded, Cold Case, Carnivale...plus I usually save ER and Without a Trace for after the weekend too. I had to watch it all...or it might have been erased! Horrors!
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

LOL Lucy.. no pain, no gain!!

Yea, tonight...... nothing. Damn it!!!

Tomorrow I'm going on vacation....I'm going to be gone until December 3rd. Honestly..I don't know what I'm going to do about TALKING about reality t.v.. (I am on the foRT at work) I do have a computer at home and yes, it works... but it's slow and very cumbersome to navigate. I'm going to miss everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by mrdobolina
    Yeah, I have a TiVo-Like device....Ultimate TV, which is a Microsoft box that uses Directv to provide the ability to record 2 shows at once, and you can still watch a 3rd(already recorded) show too. And Mav...I've had evenings like the one you just described, where--utilizing the "skip ahead" feature to skip commercials--I have watched an entire weekends worth of shows in a 6-7 hour stretch. And I record a lot on the weekends....SNL, Joan of Arcadia, Simpsons(all airings), Malcolm, King of the Hill, Grounded, Cold Case, Carnivale...plus I usually save ER and Without a Trace for after the weekend too. I had to watch it all...or it might have been erased! Horrors!

omg. erased?!?! ::gasp::

I see I've got alot to learn about this TiVo stuff... I have heard that our cable (Broadband) is going to be offering some sort of service that is similar to TiVo. Does anyone know about the cable version of this? And is it as good?

You know... I have a whole slew of shows that I MUST see too. I can admit that t.v. has begun to rule my household.......

ETI: Omg. I just remembered something. During the game....I was flipping over to Fear Factor too. I saw the females beat the guys. I forgot to add in the list of reality shows, Fear Factor. I knew there was something I was forgetting...holy crap, I'm worse than I thought.
    Last edited by Maveno; 11-25-2003 at 05:48 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast