+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Survey of attitudes toward nonfiction entertainment

FORT Newbie

Survey of attitudes toward nonfiction entertainment

Iím conducting a survey on attitudes towards non-fiction based entertainment for a communication research class at the University of Illinois at Chicago. Would you mind answering a few questions for me? The survey should take no more than five minutes to complete and the information you provide will only be used in my research paper. Thank you in advance for your time.

1. With 5 being the most enjoyable and 1 being the least enjoyable please rate the following items.

1 (Least enjoyable) 2 (Not so enjoyable) 3 (Ambivalent) 4 (Enjoyable) 5 (Most enjoyable)

A. Television talk shows

B. Situation comedies (sitcoms)

C. Fly on the wall reality shows (for example Real World, Cops, or Blind Date)

D. Competitive reality shows (for example Survivor, American Idol, or the Bachelor)

E. Hour long dramas (such as ER, Smallville, the Sopranos)

F. Informative television shows (such as The Crocodile Hunter, Trading Spaces, Behind the Music)

G. Science fiction films

H. Documentary films (Bowling for Columbine, Hoop Dreams)

I. Comedic films

J. Horror films

2. How many times do you watch the following in a normal week?

A. Television talk shows

B. Situation comedies (Sitcoms)

C. Fly on the wall reality shows (for example Real World, Cops, Blind Date)

D. Competitive reality shows (for example Survivor, American Idol, the Bachelor)

E. Hour long dramas

F. Informative television shows (The Crocodile Hunter, Trading Spaces, Behind the Music)

3. How many times do you normally watch the following in a two week period?

A. Science fiction films

B. Documentary films

C. Comedic films

D. Horror films

4. What is your age?

5. Are you a male or a female?

Quote Originally Posted by Durrellojello
    Iím conducting a survey on attitudes towards non-fiction based entertainment for a communication research class at the University of Illinois at Chicago. Would you mind answering a few questions for me? The survey should take no more than five minutes to complete and the information you provide will only be used in my research paper. Thank you in advance for your time.

1. With 5 being the most enjoyable and 1 being the least enjoyable please rate the following items.

1 (Least enjoyable) 2 (Not so enjoyable) 3 (Ambivalent) 4 (Enjoyable) 5 (Most enjoyable)

A. Television talk shows - 3

B. Situation comedies (sitcoms) - 3

C. Fly on the wall reality shows (for example Real World, Cops, or Blind Date) - 2

D. Competitive reality shows (for example Survivor, American Idol, or the Bachelor) - 4

E. Hour long dramas (such as ER, Smallville, the Sopranos) - 2

F. Informative television shows (such as The Crocodile Hunter, Trading Spaces, Behind the Music) - 3

G. Science fiction films - 1

H. Documentary films (Bowling for Columbine, Hoop Dreams) - 3

I. Comedic films - 4

J. Horror films - 4

A. Television talk shows - Latenight shows almost every night (i'd give a 5 to that) - daytime never

B. Situation comedies (Sitcoms) - King of Queens once, that's usually it I think

C. Fly on the wall reality shows (for example Real World, Cops, Blind Date) -1

D. Competitive reality shows (for example Survivor, American Idol, the Bachelor) - 4

E. Hour long dramas - 1

F. Informative television shows (The Crocodile Hunter, Trading Spaces, Behind the Music) - 2

A. Science fiction films - 0

B. Documentary films - 1

C. Comedic films - 2

D. Horror films - 1

4. What is your age? - 27

5. Are you a male or a female? Male

the questions too vague for some of that my answers are not totally accurate
    Last edited by holiday; 10-20-2003 at 02:53 AM.

Do you still beat your wife? Only answer "yes" or "no."

I wish I could help, but these things are always inaccurate and useless. I only like Survivor and Big Brother and the rest (so far) suck. I like Blind Date a little, but I hate the Real World and the rest. I love many informative television shows, but I hate Trading Spaces, and the list goes on.

I might give "competitive reality shows" a 5 because I like Survivor and Big Brother, but if someone would assume that I watch all shows of that type like a mindless, drooling, automaton, they would be wrong. It's the same for every category. "I see here that you gave 'comedic films' a 5, so that means you loved 'Freddy Got Fingered' just as much as every other comedy." Sure it does, sure.

If they had a list of TV shows and you could rate each one, now that would be accurate for the most part, but even that would be off a little since you might love some episodes of a series and hate most of the others.
    Visit Random Terrain. Gaze in awe and try not to crap your pants.

that's how I felt random t, it's really trivial to answer "comedic films" or any other broad wide open category and give a fair description of what you like with 1 number, not sure what exactly the purpose of this was but I gave it a shot, ha

oh and ps
    Last edited by holiday; 10-20-2003 at 04:06 AM.

FORT Newbie

Thanks

Thanks for the responses. I'm actually wanting to know if there is a relationship between viewers of reality television and documentary film. The movie categories such as comedy and sci-fi are just there to be there. The reality categories are probably too broad as well, but thank you for the feedback. Everyone else please feel free to comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Durrellojello
    Thanks for the responses. I'm actually wanting to know if there is a relationship between viewers of reality television and documentary film.
    I like both, but as you could tell, I'm one of those people who likes selected shows and movies from almost every category (except musicals, super-dramas, drug movies, super-gore movies, and so on), so I don't think I would be a good person to go by.

Speaking of reality TV, I especially liked it when CSPAN put on radio shows and you could watch what happened during the commercials. They did that with Imus too, but then he went to MSNBC and they don't usually show the behind-the-scenes stuff, so it's not as interesting as it was on CSPAN.
    Visit Random Terrain. Gaze in awe and try not to crap your pants.

A. Television talk shows 3

B. Situation comedies (sitcoms) 2

C. Fly on the wall reality shows (for example Real World, Cops, or Blind Date) 3

D. Competitive reality shows (for example Survivor, American Idol, or the Bachelor) 5

E. Hour long dramas (such as ER, Smallville, the Sopranos) 0

F. Informative television shows (such as The Crocodile Hunter, Trading Spaces, Behind the Music) 5

G. Science fiction films 1

H. Documentary films (Bowling for Columbine, Hoop Dreams) 4

I. Comedic films 3

J. Horror films 1

A. Television talk shows 0

B. Situation comedies (Sitcoms) 2

C. Fly on the wall reality shows (for example Real World, Cops, Blind Date) 0

D. Competitive reality shows (for example Survivor, American Idol, the Bachelor) 2

E. Hour long dramas 0

F. Informative television shows (The Crocodile Hunter, Trading Spaces, Behind the Music) 1

A. Science fiction films 0

B. Documentary films 0

C. Comedic films 0

D. Horror films 0

4. What is your age? 37

5. Are you a male or a female? F

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar

A. Television talk shows -2

B. Situation comedies (sitcoms) -3

C. Fly on the wall reality shows (for example Real World, Cops, or Blind Date) -4

D. Competitive reality shows (for example Survivor, American Idol, or the Bachelor) -5

E. Hour long dramas (such as ER, Smallville, the Sopranos) -3

F. Informative television shows (such as The Crocodile Hunter, Trading Spaces, Behind the Music) -5

G. Science fiction films -4

H. Documentary films (Bowling for Columbine, Hoop Dreams) -4

I. Comedic films -5

J. Horror films -3

Not sure how you want me to answer these. I thought it was 1 thru 5, 5 as being best. Eh, I'll answer honestly.

A. Television talk shows -Once or twice a week. Unless you count People's Court as talk show..I watch that everyday and as much as I can.

B. Situation comedies (Sitcoms) -I like comedies a lot...hard to say how many times a week. Maybe a couple a week.

C. Fly on the wall reality shows (for example Real World, Cops, Blind Date) - As much as I can find them. Every one.

D. Competitive reality shows (for example Survivor, American Idol, the Bachelor)
    - As much as I can find them. Every one.

E. Hour long dramas -Not that much.

F. Informative television shows (The Crocodile Hunter, Trading Spaces, Behind the Music) -A lot. Whenever I can find it and it doesn't interupt Survivor, People's Court..etc..

A. Science fiction films -Rare.

B. Documentary films -ALOT.

C. Comedic films -Sometimes.

D. Horror films -Zero.

4. What is your age? -33

5. Are you a male or a female? -Female
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

+ Reply to Thread