+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Camp Jim

FORT Fogey
    This is true too Eldee, but in general I think he portrays a very ditzy image of cheerleaders. Well, I guess the show is mostly geared towards HS squads as opposed to College. Again, I never had a guy cheerleader act like him though and of all the instructors I have met they do act more professional and experienced.
    I have seen a handful of guys who act like he does on other teams but I never had any to act like that. I coached 24 a year for 10 years so that's a lot of guys and they were all quite a bit more mature. (JMHO)

FORT Fogey
    Ok, I just watched a little of an episode where he wants to get a girl to do a back-hand spring. This guy doesn't even go over the technique/mechanics of the trick with her. I could see several things that would have helped her and he doesn't do that. Also, he was spotting her on his knees. If she should have gone off center away from him how is he going to spot her when he has to get off his knees first?

His staff is out of shape and very unprofessional.

Firegirl (your avatar is adorable!) I agree about being on his knees not being a good thing. He will lose strength and leverage and range. When I did cheerleading (H.S.) they didn't have a coach to help with flips but, when we did a very tiny bit of gymnastics in middle school (Jr. H.S.) the PE teacher always stood up.

I would like to know what qualifications his coaches have other than being cheerleaders themselves.

FORT Fogey
    I agree, they all look so out of shape and if I was a potential cheerleader that would not be my image to copy!

With him spotting on his knees I am worried about his ability to catch that girl if she doesn't do the trick just right. Your right he has no leverage and he is spotting w/his back and not his legs and arms. I also never really hear him giving the correct technique. Scary!

Firegirl, hopefully people with common sense, and not "stars" in their eyes, will see him for what he is.

I do think he is a bit harsh sometimes. There was one girl who couldn't get it together, I think her name was Jamie or something to that affect and he was shoving her and pushing her off of the trampoline until she got her back handspring correctly. If I was her parents I would be pissed that some guy was shoving my daughter! I thought that this was a bit much.

Realitygroupie, I only watched the first "intro" show and the one with one of the guys. Re: putting your hands on someone, other than to spot, is dead wrong. I didn't see that episode, but he had got a damn nerve to do something like that.

He was interviewed via phone on a local radio station this morning. He said that he is a teacher of 5th or 6th grade (the diction was not so great in the a.m.). That he has a lot of patience with the kids, but not with adults. He did soccer for 15 years and joined cheerleading in college. I was waiting for him to say how he studied something like basic anatomy or sports medicine. Again, I hope his qualifications go beyond his college cheerleading team.

On the episodes I saw, he acts like one of the kids, "I was born at night, but not last night" Puuleeezz. If you're going to be corny, at least be original OR pretend to be professional. There are other ways to motivate than pretending to be a wanna be bully. I was hoping to like this guy, but right now umm?

Is Jim gay?

Quote Originally Posted by tv_is_fake
    Is Jim gay?
    I was wondering that too. I mean, he definately acts that way, but I don't recall him actually saying it.

About the spotting thing, I was horrified that the coaches just let that one girl throw back tucks without a spot on the ground. You should never attempt something like that by yourself until you perfect it on a spring floor, or at least perfect it with a spot. And from what I saw, her back tuck was not all that great even with a spot. That is just dangerous. THEN the guy was doing fulls by himself on the ground and kept landing on his neck! He was very good, but someone needed to tell him he was going to get hurt. I kept cringing and praying he would not paralyze himself. He thought he was going to break his finger, well that, imo, was the least of his concerns.
    all that shimmers in this world is sure to fade

i only saw one episode, the one where the boy is going to be the first male cheerleader at his school, and i thought it was really entertaining. now, when i watch mtv, i'm not caring if jim is teaching them correctly or if he's in shape; i'm only caring that it's fun to watch. it definitely achieves that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast