+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Designer's Challenge

I love this show! The designers work so hard developing their design pitch. I always feel bad for the ones who don't get selected. They'll have plans, fabric swatches, tiles, photos, sketches, etc. on those big boards. Looks like an awful lot of work! I guess it gets their name out there, though, even if they're not chosen.

I have to laugh when the host will say "With a budget of ONLY $30,000 .... " Only? Only? Especially when they're re-doing a bathroom. $30,000 is a LOT of money! Who has that kind of money to throw around? I'm jealous! Someday ... someday ... someday ...
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpshaker
    I love this show! The designers work so hard developing their design pitch. I have to laugh when the host will say "With a budget of ONLY $30,000 .... " Only? Only? Especially when they're re-doing a bathroom. $30,000 is a LOT of money! Who has that kind of money to throw around? I'm jealous! Someday ... someday ... someday ...
    I wouldn't spend $30,000 on my bathroom, but I would love to have one of those designers redo my landscaping for about that amount. I just don't want to be on tv.

Quote Originally Posted by summerwatcher
    I wouldn't spend $30,000 on my bathroom, but I would love to have one of those designers redo my landscaping for about that amount. I just don't want to be on tv.
    What?!?! You mean you wouldn't go to any length, do anything, jump through any hoops to be on tv?!?!? I didn't know there was anyone left in the U.S. who didn't feel a desperate need to be on tv (besides me, of course).
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Premium Member
    I used to watch this all the time, but last night for the first time I realized that it's the same Chris Harrison that does the Bachelor/Bachelorette. I never made the connection before. Duh..

Designer's Challenge

Does anyone watch this HGTV series? I did a search and there was no thread started. I had something to say about last night's show but only if anyone wants to talk about it.

I do watch it, but I'm in Canada so I see it on Canadian HGTV and we probably aren't seeing the same ones as you.
    Last edited by fluff; 03-23-2005 at 04:32 PM.

I watch this (and lots of other HGTV, must shamefully admit that Debbie Travis, whom I wanted to dislike, is one of my favorites). I like this program, for the most part, but am a little tired of bathrooms, lol.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

the one that got to me was the Japanese couple who chose the asian woman for their designer but ripped off the materials (such as the floor tiles) chosen by the third woman whom they did not pick. In every other episode the people would say there were things they liked from the ones they didn't choose, but they didn't manipulate the designer they did choose into including those elements into her design. They did it in such a roundabout way too, and I kept thinking, who are you kiddding? Did they do that to try and avoid paying the non-chosen designer a fee? It was creepy.

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar
    I'm echoling previous comments. So glad there is a thread to express my semi-addiction to HGTV. Designer Challenge is an interesting way to see different approaches to room design - the homeowners almost always pick my favorite. And I have noticed the rearranged elements which seem to come from one of the losing pitches - oh, well, it's their money and all the designers get air-time. A side-note re Chris Harrison doing double hosting duty. A work friend was with a group of people that ran into him (well, not literally, I'm sure) and while the other ladies were trying to pry the latest Bachelor "winner" out of him, she wanted to know how she could get the designers to come to her house.

I love Devine Design. Candace has a wonderful color sense and comedic sense. Speaking of comedy - I, too, started off warily watching Debbie Travis' Facelift. I really cringe at ambush surprises, but now I tape the 11PM showing every week. I love the accents and Jim, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies
    I love Devine Design. Candace has a wonderful color sense and comedic sense. Speaking of comedy - I, too, started off warily watching Debbie Travis' Facelift. I really cringe at ambush surprises, but now I tape the 11PM showing every week. I love the accents and Jim, of course.
    Candace is an amazing designer! I love HGTV. I watch a lot of shows there. I was going to make a new topic but can't. I like the show about the people that are in designer school and get to design a room. Can't remember the name of it, though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast