Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CBS' "Amazing" Renewal

CBS' "Amazing" Renewal

It's official! Yay!!!

CBS' "Amazing" Renewal

by Josh Grossberg
    Sep 29, 2003, 1:30 PM PT

Ready for another Amazing Race?

Hot off the show's longshot Emmy victory earlier this month over fellow CBS entry Survivor and Fox's American Idol, the Eye has given the go-ahead for a fifth season of its extreme reality adventure series.

Word of Amazing's pickup should make the Hollywood mega-producer behind it, Jerry Bruckheimer, mighty happy, since he was the one calling on CBS executives to give the show the green light after its upset victory for the first ever Emmy for Outstanding Reality/Competition Program.

"You know what feels great about winning?" Bruckheimer rheorically queried backstage at the awards. "We still haven't been renewed, so this feels wonderful. CBS, are you watching?"

Yep Jerry, the network was.

The Amazing Race, hosted by Phil Keoghan, has become the critical darling of the reality TV genre. The series follows 11 pairs of contestants (be it couples, relatives or friends) on a frenzied 25,000-mile dash amid far-flung locales, using their wits to stay ahead of the other teams in hopes of capturing a $1 million grand prize.

The fourth edition--featuring gay couple Chip and Reichen crossing the finish line in Phoenix ahead of their competitors after traipsing through Europe, India, Malaysia, Korea and Australia--was one of the summer's most watched reality series, averaging 8.4 million viewers per episode. The third installment, which aired last fall, had an even bigger audience, drawing 9 million viewers.

Bruckheimer's production company had already started work on the next edition of the globe-trotting challenge despite being kept in limbo by the network about the show's fate.

During the Emmy ceremonies, series creator and executive producer Bertram van Munster revealed backstage just how frenzied he and his staff were not knowing Amazing's future.

"We're casting right now, but every day there's a little bit of torture there," he said.

Those eager to to take the road less traveled and join the odyssey can apply via CBS.com. The fifth installment of The Amazing Race is set to premiere next summer.

Where is this from? Can you provide a link to the original?

I did a bit of googling and found this as the original link:

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,...,00.html?tnews

TV guide too has said that TAR has been renewed. As long as CBS doesn't make it official though, there will still be some doubt.

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar
    My entertainment links on yahoo was an exact quote of what Tom Rocks posted. Boy, I hope it's true!!!
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

I'm glad it's official, but I have to wonder at the guy who wrote the article.
    The series follows 11 pairs of contestants (be it couples, relatives or friends) on a frenzied 25,000-mile dash amid far-flung locales, using their wits to stay ahead of the other teams in hopes of capturing a $1 million grand prize.
    The Amazing Race hasn't had 11 pairs of contestants since TAR2. And the length of the race is usually between 40,000-50,000 miles.

Well, at least he got the prize money correct.

Thank you for the great news, tom rocks. I can't wait to watch TAR5 next summer.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Next summer? We have to wait almost a year? Oh, well, TAR is worth it. I hope they do a better job of casting this time (not that I thought last season's cast bad.) I wonder if CBS would use it as a filler if one of their other shows doesn't make it.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott
    I wonder if CBS would use it as a filler if one of their other shows doesn't make it.
    I sure hope that CBS doesn't use it as a filler--it's already an Emmy Award-winning quality show, and deserves some priority.

Quote Originally Posted by gracie
    My entertainment links on yahoo was an exact quote of what Tom Rocks posted. Boy, I hope it's true!!!
    Same here... but I think this is true...

Spiderman 2 - June 30 audiomaster's Avatar
    Well, all those talks seem worth it.

Finally, a well-deserved Reality TV show saved !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast