+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Trading Spaces $100,000

Seems like the designers will get a carpenter each.... They will probably need it with all the MDF they can buy with $100k?

Will the homeowners still be hands-on so they can drip the designer paint? or be first time sewers with $250/yard silk?

I personally have been waiting for TS to do rooms for underpriveledged folks. How about a Habitat for Humanity house? a hospital children's wing? or a afterschool center in the inner cities? the options are endless....

Even if the money is spent well, and the designs are great, if this is for a regular homeowner, I'm going to be sadly disappointed.

Embracing the Inner Geek museumguy's Avatar
    who is sponsoring this one....you can buy alot of stuff at the Home Depot....for $100,000...I hope its like a Swedish Import place or something....at least the desingners wont be able to say they couldnt afford carpet...and if they create an awful room...it cant be blamed on the budget...

Art
    From my understanding, I've heard it was $50,000 for each designer, so $100,000 for the show...in which case, the commercial is misleading! And that the HO's will have no idea until the taping that they are on a special TS episode with a $100,000 budget.

Fluff at the Laurie $99,950 fabric comment. I'm also interested to see how many shades of yellow she'll be able to use this time.
    I'm pretty satisfied with the chosen designers for the show. I think Doug is a very talented designer. He's done some remarkable rooms, provided he doesn't use a theme! And I'm assuming they wanted a male/female team for this special episode so Laurie was probably the best choice, I prefer her over Genevieve (who'd waste $30,000), Kia (obviously), or Christi.

Did any of you watch the show on HGTV called, "Sensible Chic"? At least, that's what I think it was called. They'd take a really expensive, often ugly, room, and recreate it for "pennies on the dollar". Anyhow, the point is, that some of the original rooms, called "the inspiration room", were often 100k rooms. And you know what? All that meant was that the desk was designer this, the fabric designer that, etc. etc. All in all, not very exciting at all. I.e. you didn't automatically see the room and go, "Now THAT'S one hell of an expensive room." The only reason you knew it was expensive was because the host walked to each piece and said, "this Buble Shivanski throw was made of boars hairs, individually plucked by Inuits, and it cost 16 thousand dollars." And I'm always thinking, "hmm...looks like a throw to me." So if 100k is used on one room, and they simply pluck out designer mercandise to fill it, what's the excitement in that? It will still be Doug and Lori's ugly designs, only more expensive. I'm really hoping they do an entire house. See...if it's just one room, I just don't feel like I'm going to be able to "see" the 100k, until they of course tell me how expensive it is..knowwhatImean? Hmm...
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

I like Sensible Chic.
    I think it's a great concept and just goes to show how over-priced some furniture is.

I agree about not being able to see where they spent the $100k, this is why I was really hoping they would be doing up a Habitat for Humanity home for example, rather than just putting expensive crap in a regular person's home.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I was watching TS on Saturday and had a funny thought about the $100k show.

Laurie will spend $49,950 on fabric (ala fluff), and still be fretting over which accessory she's going to have to return because she's overbudget!
    & Doug will blow his budget completely on having to rebuy materials because Ty doesn't do it exactly to his design or the measurements were off.
    I think that we'll see that there are some problems money can't solve.
    I like to watch - Chance the Gardener, Being There

[QUOTE=fluff]I like Sensible Chic.
    I think it's a great concept and just goes to show how over-priced some furniture is.
    [QUOTE]

Oh, I like it too, Fluff, or I wouldn't know so much about it! But..that said...I have seen some icky rooms there. But then again, I'm not saying they're inherently icky, just not my taste. So they're not ugly, just not for me? I.e. they're beautiful for the style they were going for, but not for me, if that makes sense. Still gives you great ideas on how to "copy" a look, and I think that's invaluable and inspirational.

And the Habitat for Humanity idea is a great one. I think Oprah had a show once where professional designers decorated a Habitat for Humanity House. I also know for sure that they did that on Decorating Cents once, too. Great idea!
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

So during the 7 minutes of "They Hated It!" that I watched last night, I saw another commercial for this episode. It looks like it is just regular people, and that it's 50K per room. How disappointing. I was with those of you who thought that the money could be more kindly spent on needy families.

Somehow the idea of a middle class suburban family getting an authentic Louis XIV writing desk (if such a thing even exists) or an antique Persian rug really doesn't thrill me.

I'm with you on this Amanda.
    I think it's rather ridiculous to have such a budget for regular families.

I'm disappointed.
    "That's Numberwang!"

From the USA TODAY website...

'Trading Spaces' is trading up
    By Bill Keveney, USA TODAY

Trading Spaces is moving into the high-rent district — at least for one show.
    TLC's popular redesign series is dropping its $1,000-per-room limit on Sunday's special two-hour episode (8 p.m. ET/PT) and going on a $100,000 splurge ($50,000 a room) at the homes of two lucky couples in Plymouth, Mass.

Fans shouldn't worry that the popular cable show will abandon its frugal approach, which is considered a main charm. In its fourth season of designing on a shoestring, Spaces just wanted to show what its designers could do with a beefed-up budget.

"The $100,000 episode is a fantasy episode," says Doug Wilson, who worked on James and Tina Drakakis' kitchen and family room. "But the $1,000 per room, that's our show. That's what makes us unique and interesting."

When host Paige Davis told Barbi and John Joyce and the Drakakises that each room would get a $50,000 makeover, they were dumbfounded.

"We were so excited to be on Trading Spaces, period. Then, when they said it was $50,000, I was shocked," says Barbi Joyce, whose living room was assigned to Spaces designer Laurie Smith.

With the $1,000-a-room limit so identifiable, Spaces has room to tweak its established format for the occasional Sunday special, executive producer Kathy Davidov says. In November, for example, the series will feature a British invasion, with designers from England's Changing Rooms doing their stuff. A special in April will include a house giveaway.

Such moves are at least partly designed to help the pioneering Trading Spaces (regular slot: Saturday, 8 p.m. ET/PT, along with other times) stand out from an explosion of home design shows, including TLC's While You Were Out and Trading Spaces: Family and Style Network's Area, that appear destined to remodel every room in America. USA's House Wars and HGTV's Date With Design and Outer Spaces premiered this week. High-profile upcoming series include:

•Merge, Lifetime, Friday at 8 p.m. and 11 p.m. ET/PT. Lisa Rinna helps newlyweds arrange their belongings under one roof.

•House Rules, TBS, Oct. 10 at 8 p.m. ET/PT. Three couples compete in a remodeling competition. The winner gets a new home.

• Mix It Up, WE: Women's Entertainment, Oct. 22 at 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT. Courteney Cox and David Arquette produce this series in which two roommates — couples, friends or siblings — blend different design styles.

Despite the bigger redesign budget on the Spaces special, the two-day time limit remained, forcing the designers into creative approaches, including ordering custom pieces in advance. Planning becomes paramount with the extra money and limited time, Smith and Wilson say.

"I was thrilled to be chosen," Smith says. "But with the heightened budget comes a lot more responsibility, too. These people won the (redesign) lottery. So I want them to not just like it, I want them to love it."

How the couples feel about their new rooms — joy or dismay — is part of Spaces' trademark final-reaction surprise. Whether they enjoyed the experience is no secret.

"How can you not? Somebody comes in and shakes up your life for a couple of days and gives you $50,000 worth of stuff?" Barb Joyce says. "This is crazy. I could have done my entire home for $50,000 — and had some left over."

+ Reply to Thread