+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: Trading Spaces $100,000

I bumped the original thread for ya, Z.

Quote Originally Posted by paulstan
    Hi,

FYI, the Canadian version, Decorating Challenge, sometimes do makeover for: school classrooms, teacher lounges, apartments, etc. They did a extended child care facility for last Christmas.

In addition, they have gay couples and multi-ethnic couples.
    Glad to hear it paulstan.

On TS they have had multi-ethnic couples and I'm always happy to see those. I don't know of any out gay couples they have done.

It bugs me a little that on TS, the homeowners need to speak English perfectly and the carpenter's speak English perfectly. In our neck of the woods, if you hire help and want it done right, you better be pretty multi-lingual. In that way TS doesn't reflect my reality. Okay... a little off topic but I just needed to get that out.

Getting back to the 100k episode, I think that the whole thing was a promotion by Home Depot to annouce that they have taken over as sponsors of the TLC decorating shows from Lowes. They probably gave TS a bunch of money to do the episode and wanted it done early to announce the change over. But, since the shows are cast far enough in advance, they had to go with one of the homeowners and rooms they had already cast rather than change to a different venue. I think that the producers made a mistake by giving in to their corporate sponsors. TS is big enough to be able to know that they were doing Home Depot a favor by "choosing" to go with them as a sponsor over Lowes.
    I like to watch - Chance the Gardener, Being There

I don't know of any out gay couples they have done.
    Hay on the wall couple were gay, but they only referred to them as "friends".

Quote Originally Posted by duckgirl
    Hay on the wall couple were gay, but they only referred to them as "friends".
    thanks duckgirl. I was wondering if that was the case with the gay couples on TS. Do you know if that was TS's or the couple's choice?
    I like to watch - Chance the Gardener, Being There

No idea, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was Banyan who thought that *whispers* lesbians! lesbians! would be too much for the average middle america housewife to handle.

Hope its okay to drag this on back to the top but I finally have a place to make my comment about this show! (yay FORT!)

I watched this show in amazement... loved the stuff Laurie picked out (sorry but it was lovely, just in too small of a room and over indulgent...but lovely).

But Doug. Give him 50,000 and he still makes an ugly room.

The kitchen update is okie, new cabinets but ugly countertop. But gee, the rest of the living room...ugly. He has a way of taking a room and making it look like an industrial room where no one can relax.

I wonder how much the HO had to spend to repaint those walls with all that wax stuff on them?

Aha, someone on my wavelength re the wax on the walls.

Doug is forever doing his Venetian palster techniques and invariably he uses wax on top.
    You can just as easily add some shine to the walls by burnishing with the flat of a spatula and it's easy to paint over if you don't like the colour.
    Not that Doug ever really appears to give a crap what the HO's think.

If he'd done the full paint treatment himself and not called in pro's to help, he might have been able to afford something a bit more suited to the room that glacier white corian counter tops.

You do not put "cool" white counter tops on "warm" white cabinets.

I liked the cupboards too.
    A classic colour that would have looked so much better with a slate grey counter top.

Glad you found your way to the decorating forum Kaky
    "That's Numberwang!"

And not to beat a dead horse but how in the world did anyone think it would be okay to use up 50,000 in one room in middle America?

The premise of the show is that they *have* to spend only 1,000 on a room (which is more in line with the rest of the world (minus Hollywood)) on how we are forced to upgrade, refreshen our rooms without spending a bundle. (And if I had a bundle, I certainly couldn't spent 50,000 on a room!)

I've decided that although it was decadent to watch, it was a two hour commercial for Home Depot and Sony.

Give me that $50,000 and I'll add/build (not remodel) a much needed home office to my already great house.

Kaky, I'm completely with you on this.
    I think the whole exercise was ridiculous.
    Laurie's room was nothing but an homage to excess imo.
    Yes, she did include some attractive elements, but $1800 for a mirror was ridiculous.

It was just an extremely disappointing show to me.
    So much could have been done with that money.
    "That's Numberwang!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011