+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Columbus: Shelby - Doug's Room

Columbus Ohio: Shelby 9/27/03

OMG the Prison of Love room Doug?? Honestly! bleah ... what is this man thinking?? Why did Doug bother to cut the posts off the bed if he was just going to string up fabric to the ceiling anyway? Maybe Doug has fantasies about prison sex but I doubt the poor homeowners do.
    Last edited by Duxxy; 09-21-2003 at 02:10 PM.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I actually liked the room with the exception of the bars. I'm sort of a sucker for that layered sort of paint technique, so that drew me right in. I do agree with the bed, there was no need to chop it off especially for his end effect. The mural was a bit dark, but it did really nicely filling up the awkward space. The bars though?? Just wasn't keen on them one bit and didn't find them necessary at all.

I didn't like the room but was very impressed by the HO's reaction to it.
    I would have likely ripped his throat out.

I think it was another example of Doug flexing his ego.
    He can do whatever he wants to their rooms so he's going to.
    The shades of grey on the walls in the block pattern might have been passable had he not added in the toilet bench and the mural.
    "That's Numberwang!"

"That's Numberwang!"

Oh, for the love of God...someone please reign in Doug's ego. IMO, Doug's rooms are usually "hit or miss", and when they "miss" (as was the case here), I think they miss big-time.

This room was really awful. The bars are completely impractical, the toilets?!? Luckily they can be easily removed. Id get rid of those, paint over his mural which was off-color from everything else. Id also remove the doors from the solitary-confinement cabinets. Those long weird lighting things were kind of interesting though. I chose Hilde as my representative to be sarcastic, but Im honestly starting to just tape the show and fast-forward to the before and after sequences of the reveal. All the hoopla in between just feels too scripted and forced. Its getting very stale, and increasing the crappiness of the designs isnt helping.

I agree with you I.V., the showe is taking on a scripted feel.

Doug annoyed the crap out of me during this episode.

Could you imagine Vern doing a room like that?
    Exactly, he has more respect for the homeowners, not to mention his own professional pride would not let him create something so ugly.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Embracing the Inner Geek museumguy's Avatar
    The cement block treatment of this room is just wrong for the bed room....sparse doesnt work either....lived in its not.....a pool table in the basment might survive here....but not people sleeping.....

The colours he chose were just so cold I thought.
    Grey can really zap the life out of a room if you don't accessorise wisely.

To me, this was just Doug being Doug and revelling in the fact he has carte blanche.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I think Doug thinks he's funny, and he's not. Neither is completely mucking up someone's room for fun. Vern (the only good one left) at leasts designs an appealing room that is also functional. The designers on this show seem intent on placing tvs in odd corners, on the floor, at odd angles – since you know, no one really likes to watch television and be comfortable at the same time. They’re constantly using colors or materials that are dust magnets, as well as, difficult to take down and clean (unless you like pulling staples and nails out and then re-doing them) destroying decent looking material-covered furniture using paint that will crack the instant someone's ass sits on them, I could go on and on. How can such irresponsibility and lack of common sense be considered ‘professional?’

Sorry for the rant, but I used to love watching this show for ideas for my own home, but now its all about destroying anything decent and being outrageous.

I need to find a new design show, one that doesn’t rely on shock value and provides real-life, practical, and attractive design ideas. And, oh yea, one that chooses paint colors because they work and not because Lowe's had a 2 for one sale.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast