+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Columbus: Shelby - Doug's Room

Embracing the Inner Geek museumguy's Avatar
    This is a bit off topic but does answer the question IV posed....where are there good design ideas on Tv this year....I am not sure I have seen many...besides Thom on Queer Eye for the Straight Guy....there havent been many on trading spaces so far this season....and while you were out has also been less then inspiring....

Doug was so lucky that the homeowners had a good sense of humor.

But by being such good sports, the homeowners missed turning their episode into a TS "classic". Perhaps, they could have been featured in next week's "They Hated It" collection too.

I agree.
    The HO's here reacted so well.
    I would really have gone off on him.
    The guy is driven by his immense ego and seems to have no respect for the HO's.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Personally I hate squares painted on walls. Maybe huge squares look nice, but not these medium sized ones. I like 70's colors, brights and all, but I do not like this trend they have with stripes and blocks. Doug sometimes has no ability to stop in time and he goes overboard. Not just this "prison" room, but I watched that Trading Spaces Family Marathon (?) yesterday, and he had this family room painted quite nicely, and then he has to go and ruin the pretty color he already had achieved with some ugly brown diamond pattern. Does he have some kind of obsession to be pressed on time, so the project does not seem too easy, or does he need to add until he has no more money left?
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by I.V.
    I think Doug thinks he's funny, and he's not. Neither is completely mucking up someone's room for fun. Vern (the only good one left) at leasts designs an appealing room that is also functional. The designers on this show seem intent on placing tvs in odd corners, on the floor, at odd angles – since you know, no one really likes to watch television and be comfortable at the same time. They’re constantly using colors or materials that are dust magnets, as well as, difficult to take down and clean (unless you like pulling staples and nails out and then re-doing them) destroying decent looking material-covered furniture using paint that will crack the instant someone's ass sits on them, I could go on and on. How can such irresponsibility and lack of common sense be considered ‘professional?’

Sorry for the rant, but I used to love watching this show for ideas for my own home, but now its all about destroying anything decent and being outrageous.

I need to find a new design show, one that doesn’t rely on shock value and provides real-life, practical, and attractive design ideas. And, oh yea, one that chooses paint colors because they work and not because Lowe's had a 2 for one sale.
    I'm with you. I think Doug is very passive aggressive and takes some pleasure out of being outrageous with the rooms. His designs USED to be good. I wonder who he's getting even with lately?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12