+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm a little weary of young, perfect people in reality TV.

On Hiatus

I'm a little weary of young, perfect people in reality TV.

Perhaps I've just been watching the wrong shows, but to me, it seems that reality TV is taking the lead of non-reality TV and is featuring more non-real type people.

I'm a little tired of it personally. It's not that I would want to watch "Geriatric House"...okay, maybe I would...but it's just tiresome to me.

I enjoyed and continue to enjoy the older competetors on Survivor and Big Brother. Maybe I'm just missing the boat? Are there shows out there that are more real than, say, Beverly Hills 90210?
    "Ashleigh": I just think it's sleazy. It's dirty.
    Matt: Welcome to television!
    -The Joe Schmo Show

I think the fact that shows are using casting agents to find contestants, despite asking for people to send in applications, also contributes to how many no-real type people appear on reality shows.

Big Brother had never really had a good range of ages, but now even Survivor seems to be cutting back on the older folks.
    During Survivor 3, the two oldest people on the Boran tribe were Tom in his mid 40's and Lex in his late 30's.
    "That's Numberwang!"

JR.
    Well, with each channel having 50 "reality" shows, they are all fighting for ratings. Somewhere along the line the network execs decided that good looking people will get more viewers, regardless of how they act or if they have a personality or not.

FORT Fan
    Reality TV ceased to be real a long time ago - this is entertainment and people prefer to watch beautiful people...Producers are basically creating soap operas and need to tell a story... You dont see too many nasty looking folks on The Young & The Restless or All My Children... I dont know who came up with the phrase 'reality tv' but its such a misnomer

On Hiatus
    I'm seriously thinking about pitching "Geriatric House."

Actually, the only "reality TV", per se, I've seen in ages has been the period style shows on PBS such as 1900s house, 1940s house, etc. But beyond that...I agree.
    -The Joe Schmo Show

I think it's more just "unscripted" tv rather than reality tv.

In the case of shows like Survivor, I think the "real' people make the show far more interesting.
    Someone like Rob last season who knows the game inside out is more compelling to me than a tool like Alex who was asked to participate by an exec.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fan
    Northeast Mississippi, sitting by the lake...
    I'm also tired of the cutesy parade of "perfectly shaped" people on these shows. Too bad the attitudes and personalities of these people don't often match the outer appearances.

I don't even watch a lot of these shows anymore since they are starting to look a lot alike. The addition of average looking people of all ages would make these shows more interesting to me.

I would watch a "reality show" with geriatric folks. I've been through my 20's back in the 80's and all I can say is...too much drama, but no common sense... Why would I want to revisit that over and over with a bunch of whiny "beautiful people" when I could get interested in the more unique shows like 1900's house, etc?

I enjoy shows like the Restaurant, American Idol, and the Michael Essany Show, since they also feature average looking people with redeeming qualities. The romance contests and survivor type shows are starting to bore me to the point I no longer care to watch them.

I hope the disturbing trend of all Barbie and Ken wannabes competing to be the last one eliminated fades away fast! Give us substance over silicone anyday!

On Hiatus
    This new Joe Schmo Show, on the other hand, looks humourous. Gotta hand it to whoever came up with the concept of making fun of all the barbie and Kens in other shows.

(Apologies to my niece, who made me watch 12 hours of Barbie DVDs in the van yesterday on the way home from a family reunion... )
    -The Joe Schmo Show

Foggy Doggy
    Quote Originally Posted by mstvfan
    I enjoy shows like the Restaurant, American Idol, and the Michael Essany Show, since they also feature average looking people with redeeming qualities. The romance contests and survivor type shows are starting to bore me to the point I no longer care to watch them.

I hope the disturbing trend of all Barbie and Ken wannabes competing to be the last one eliminated fades away fast! Give us substance over silicone anyday!
    Hence we now have the "Joe Schmoe" Show now

I loved Rob! I thought he was cute. I usually like the guys who aren't typically handsome. I don't like how there are certain people who think women must be attracted to muscular guys instead of chunky or skinny guys.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast