+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I'm a little weary of young, perfect people in reality TV.

A Random Foot Kitty Throw Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion, Tire Toss Champion, Little Protectors Champion PIMguy's Avatar

Video killed the radio star

Quote Originally Posted by Daddio
    Sadly though, the truth is that we DO live in a superficial society. Otherwise, the Ann Wilsons, Shawn Colvins, Indigo Girls, Macy Grays, Tori Amoses and other talented women of music would be all over MTV and the Britany, Xtina and Jessicas of the world would be working at the Doll House and filling antiboitic prescriptions.
    Too true. I remember "pre-MTV" days (yes, I'm that old) when I would hear a song on the radio, love it, then see the singer and say "that voice came out of that guy?" Talent use to come from the inside out. Now, it seems to be the opposite. Find a hot body and a pretty face and give that person a talent. The same thing has happened to TV. Really look at older TV shows, like from the 70's and 80's. There weren't that many good looking people. Maybe one or two per show. Now, everyone is beautiful. Even the extras are hot! So why should "reality" TV be any different?

By the way, I'll gladly pay Jessica Simpson any amount of money she wants to keep singing. I do not want that ditz filling my prescriptions!
    :nono

Metallica Fanatic breathless4975's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ethelu
    You have expressed what I've been saying for a long time. Mix it up a little and let the oldies but goodies have some fun, too. BB4 only had one older person this year and was the most boring show yet. Put some love connections in these places with people of substance and life experiences. Show those youngins that over fifty doesn't mean rocking chair and senility. Can you picture a group of half twenty-year-olds and half fifty-years old on Paradise Hotel? How fun would that be?
    I felt sorta sorry for Jack on BB4 because it seemed like the others snubbed him a lot of the time. I think it's unfair to cast only one older person for the show because they automatically seem to be an outcast.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. - Albert Schweitzer

The most thoroughly wasted of all days is that on which one has not laughed.

If I accept the sunshine and warmth, then I must also accept the thunder and lightening.

On Hiatus
    Jack was actually the best reality show character I've seen in a while. I really liked him and actually started watching the show (which I'd never done) to follow his progress.

Now there's a person with ALL kinds of life-experience, and it added a LOT to the show.
    "Ashleigh": I just think it's sleazy. It's dirty.
    Matt: Welcome to television!
    -The Joe Schmo Show

Metallica Fanatic breathless4975's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YCan'tAngieRead
    Jack was actually the best reality show character I've seen in a while. I really liked him and actually started watching the show (which I'd never done) to follow his progress.

Now there's a person with ALL kinds of life-experience, and it added a LOT to the show.
    I liked him too but the others seemed to shun him a lot. Of course, look at who the others were.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. - Albert Schweitzer

The most thoroughly wasted of all days is that on which one has not laughed.

If I accept the sunshine and warmth, then I must also accept the thunder and lightening.

PIMguy - I'd rather Jessica just paid for MY prescriptions and didn't fill them OR sing.

Is anyone else over 50 and single? I'd love to be the new "mature" bachelorette, or hit P-Ho with a group of 40 to 60 year-old funsters. Yeah, I love looking at Keith, but I'd like to hug a little older version of him - I could deal with that reality.
    Sing & dance the night away!

On Hiatus
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBabe
    hit P-Ho with a group of 40 to 60 year-old funsters.
    I actually have thought about this...I think it would be HILLARIOUS. The only show I've seen that deliberately catered to seniors (not that 40-60 is senior, but you know what I mean) was American Senior or whatever that was. That show was THE BOMB. Although, fwiw, I didn't think the right person won.
    "Ashleigh": I just think it's sleazy. It's dirty.
    Matt: Welcome to television!
    -The Joe Schmo Show

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by PIMguy
    By the way, I'll gladly pay Jessica Simpson any amount of money she wants to keep singing. I do not want that ditz filling my prescriptions!
    :nono
    Actually, what I meant by that was - they would be at the drugstore getting prescriptions filled to cure themselves of all the STD's they would be getting due to their being skank-hos and working at low rung strip-clubs.

But I like your point too. I wouldnt want them touching anything that would go in my mouth. (boy that is a loaded statement).

I just dont know that they would have the intelligence to actually work at drugstores as opposed to frequenting them from the otherside of the counter.
    Last edited by Daddio; 09-30-2003 at 05:56 PM.

Hey, I think this is my first post outside of the Joe Schmo thread! I hate most reality TV shows except for Survivor and Big Brother, although Big Brother has some boring episodes where they seem to focus on nothing but sex, but the rest of the time, it's pretty good. It's interesting to see how so many people in the house are convinced that they are honest and trustworthy even as they sneak around lying and backstabbing.

I don't mind slightly ugly people on these shows, but if I want to see an ugly person, I'll look in the mirror. For example, I don't want to spend an hour of my life looking at some ugly, mouth-breathing milk drinker squeezing his zits at the camera. I believe that if you are ugly or have a really bad facelift, you should stay off TV. Plastic-looking perfect kids with horrible personalities aren't any better either. I like people in the middle to be on these shows. Not too perfect, but not so ugly that they make you lose your lunch.
    Visit Random Terrain. Gaze in awe and try not to crap your pants.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123