+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm a little weary of young, perfect people in reality TV.

The problem with casting young, pretty people is that they're still unformed human beings. Because they're young they haven't learned any wisdom, and because they're pretty they've never had to develop a personality.
    Speaking of diversity, where are the fat people?
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

On Hiatus
    Quote Originally Posted by candor
    Speaking of diversity, where are the fat people?
    Actually, this is a lot of why I started this thread. I myself am...y'know. Weight endowed, so to speak. I've always wondered what would happen if I tried out for Big brother. (As a recluse, I would LOVE being on that show.) Or Paradise Hotel. Just imagine-me in my granny swimsuit. Now THAT'S great TV.
    "Ashleigh": I just think it's sleazy. It's dirty.
    Matt: Welcome to television!
    -The Joe Schmo Show

Quote Originally Posted by YCan'tAngieRead
    Actually, this is a lot of why I started this thread. I myself am...y'know. Weight endowed, so to speak. I've always wondered what would happen if I tried out for Big brother. (As a recluse, I would LOVE being on that show.) Or Paradise Hotel. Just imagine-me in my granny swimsuit. Now THAT'S great TV.
    What I'm really puzzled by is the fact that shows like the Bachelor only have thin people, especially the women. All the guys I know would prefer a full figured woman rather than one looking like a dead insect. Don't these guys on these shows like curves?

Unreal People for Reality Tv

Quote Originally Posted by bostonsinclair
    Reality TV ceased to be real a long time ago - this is entertainment and people prefer to watch beautiful people...Producers are basically creating soap operas and need to tell a story... You dont see too many nasty looking folks on The Young & The Restless or All My Children... I dont know who came up with the phrase 'reality tv' but its such a misnomer
    I know what you mean. Simon Cowell is so not with it. I don't why Simon Fuller doesn't fire him. I mean I understand that his nasty comments are what makes the show popular, but its abusive to the contestants. He said that in the future there will be no makeovers and the contestants will have to come in looking good. We don't want this to turn into American Ugly I mean look at the tremendous popularity American Idol got over Clay Aiken. Look at what a miracle he turned into. He is one of the reasons why American Idol got the nominations it did. Not the only reason, but part of it. Since when did it have anything to do with looks. I thought it all had to do with how well they sang. And believe me Clay had the stuff. Believe me, he had it alright!!!!!!!!!!!!

Embracing the Inner Geek museumguy's Avatar
    I'd just be surprised if they aired a show with a 5'5 or shorter guy or a 5'1 or shorter lady.....

Quote Originally Posted by astrogirl_2100
    What I'm really puzzled by is the fact that shows like the Bachelor only have thin people, especially the women. All the guys I know would prefer a full figured woman rather than one looking like a dead insect. Don't these guys on these shows like curves?

Most men like women you can actually hug without
    having the fear that they might break into.

KevinColley#16 BST!!!!!!! Clayalltheway49's Avatar
    I kinda see what you mean....
    LETS GO ISLANDERS AND SOUNDTIGERS!!!!

FORT Fogey
    This has pretty much been how TV was across the board since the begginning. The producers always think that they know better than us what we want and need. Basically they feel that we want hunky, shallow, one noted men and cute, airheaded women.

Why else would they feel that we need Maxim lingere models providing insight on the sidelines during Monday Night Football?

Is Vanna White really nessesary at this point or has technology advanced to the point that we really dont need a buxom blonde in a cocktail dress turning around letters?

My gosh, Imagine the challenge the writers of Dog Eat Dog alone would face if they ever actually put a regular, average man or woman on the show. They would have to devise questions that are harder than the oh so lovely, goth clad Brooke asking in a stickato tone "Canada-is-on-which-continent?"

Sadly though, the truth is that we DO live in a superficial society. Otherwise, the Ann Wilsons, Shawn Colvins, Indigo Girls, Macy Grays, Tori Amoses and other talented women of music would be all over MTV and the Britany, Xtina and Jessicas of the world would be working at the Doll House and filling antiboitic prescriptions.
    Last edited by Daddio; 09-24-2003 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    During Survivor 3, the two oldest people on the Boran tribe were Tom in his mid 40's and Lex in his late 30's.
    Not that it makes much of a difference, but Kim.J was on that tribe too and she was well into her 50's.

You have expressed what I've been saying for a long time. Mix it up a little and let the oldies but goodies have some fun, too. BB4 only had one older person this year and was the most boring show yet. Put some love connections in these places with people of substance and life experiences. Show those youngins that over fifty doesn't mean rocking chair and senility. Can you picture a group of half twenty-year-olds and half fifty-years old on Paradise Hotel? How fun would that be?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast