+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News: BB Africa cancelled

NEWS: No Big Brother Thanks, We're Malawian

No Big Brother Thanks, We're Malawian

BLANTYRE (Reuters) - The parliament of conservative Malawi has decided it has had enough of the boozing and sexual shenanigans of "Big Brother," the all-African reality television show being beamed across the continent.

It voted overwhelmingly on Tuesday immediately to pull the plug on the show, which was being aired on public broadcaster Television Malawi.

The chairman of the parliamentary committee on the media, Taylor Nothale, said he had received a chain of complaints over the TV program, particularly from parents.

He said most Malawians felt the show might encourage young people to engage in immoral behavior.

"People are subjected to horrible pictures which are corrupting the morals of our children," Nothale said.

The alcohol has flowed and the clothes have come off in the first all-African reality television show.

"We want the government to stop that nonsense on TV," said opposition leader Gwanda Chakuamba.

"Big Brother Africa" is the latest and most ambitious of the worldwide "Big Brother" series, which takes groups of ordinary people, locks them in a house for months and broadcasts almost every move for TV viewers.

Malawi had a representative in the Big Brother House, Zein Dudah, but he was evicted four weeks ago. The show is currently on day 73 of 106.

Most of the southern African country's 10.6 million people are deeply conservative Christians. It also has a Muslim minority.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...nguage=printer

FORT Fan

Is the show immoral? Some think so

Malawi Bans 'Big Brother' Reality Show

Aug 5,

By RAPHAEL TENTHANI

BLANTYRE, Malawi (AP) - Malawi lawmakers voted to ban the popular reality program Big Brother Africa from the nation's airwaves Tuesday, declaring it immoral.

The show, which locked 12 petulant housemates from across the continent in a house in South Africa, has been praised for bridging the cultural gaps that separate many on the continent and exploding some of the myths they share about their fellow Africans.

The show also includes risque interactions between young adults, apparently what prompted the ban.

"People are subjected to horrible pictures, which are corrupting the morals of our children," said Taylor Nothale, chairman of Parliament's media committee.

Nothale said he has received a chain of complaints about the show, particularly from parents. "We want the government to stop that nonsense on TV," said opposition leader Gwanda Chakuamba.

The show is beamed 24 hours a day to Africans with satellite dishes, but the highlights of the show are broadcast on local stations in many African countries. The state-run Television Malawi broadcasts the half-hour highlights every evening.

Benson Tembo, director general of the public broadcaster, said he would abide by the vote.

Last week, Namibian President Sam Nujoma also criticized the program, saying his country's national broadcaster should be showing programs on the history of Namibia instead.

Big Brother organizers said they were perplexed at the Malawi decision, pointing out that the highlight show was cleaned up for family viewing.

"If (Big Brother Africa) didn't generate any controversy, the project would be a failure," Carl Fischer, a producer of the show, said in an e-mail.

Malawi's representative in the Big Brother House, Zein Dudah, was voted off the show about a month ago.

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    So they get 24 hour live feeds in Africa?? Amazing... well that solves the house guests dilemma on how to deal with the fame and fortune they think is coming after the show ends- when it doesn't- Option A- move to Africa, where they are sure to have rock star status- they may have to live in a straw and mud hut- but people will recognize them (and that's all that is important to these people isn't it)....

Umm... this article is referring to Big Brother Africa, which is the first international version of Big Brother (I think...)

In this version, each of the houseguests are from a different country across Africa, and the show is broadcast almost continent-wide.

The BB4USA houseguests are just delusional and will likely get a big "reality check" (haha, I made a pun) after this is over.

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Healblade
    Umm... this article is referring to Big Brother Africa, which is the first international version of Big Brother (I think...)

In this version, each of the houseguests are from a different country across Africa, and the show is broadcast almost continent-wide.

The BB4USA houseguests are just delusional and will likely get a big "reality check" (haha, I made a pun) after this is over.

dammit... i'm just trying to find a way to banish these (American) BB house guests onto another society... i thought i had an avenue!

I think Malawi has more problems than BB to deal with, although banishing our American hamsters to Africa to play the game would be an interesting turn of events.

Almost 15% of the population of Malawi has contracted AIDS. I'm not sure, but think this may be one of the countries that permits and encourages female circumcision, too. Maybe they would air BB if TPTB showed public service announcements regarding safe sex. Just a thought.

American Idol Fanatic IdolFreak05's Avatar
    [QUOTE=QuinntheEskimo]So they get 24 hour live feeds in Africa?? [QUOTE]

The UK also does the whole 24/7 live feed on TV. The American version is also playing in the UK and they get the US live feeds over the TV 24/7 too.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolFreak05

The UK also does the whole 24/7 live feed on TV. The American version is also playing in the UK and they get the US live feeds over the TV 24/7 too.
    Hey that would be cool BBTV

Quote Originally Posted by bostonsinclair
    The show also includes risque interactions between young adults, apparently what prompted the ban.
    Sounds like it would be fun to watch.

But I guess I would need subtitles...
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Luvs
    Really? How unfair.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast