+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Decorating question

eny
    FORT Fogey
    * Psst Fluff in her real life is an interior designer. I'd love to see her do any of the "shows". I'll bet she'd blow them out the windows*

I have a question or two... As my (life long it starts to look like) kitchen project is slowly progressing, I am wondering what options are there for vinyl floor touch ups (it's worn out, waxing doesn't help much, and the color doesn't really go with the rest of the room). I think I saw in some show that they painted vinyl, but is it really possible to paint vinyl so that it is durable? Or is changing the whole flooring the only real solution?

Changing the floor would be the better solution, but you can paint vinyl as a stop gap.
    You can get peel and stick tiles very cheaply, less than $1.00 a square foot, that are of good quality.
    Depending on the condition of the current flooring you can either pull it up or stick the new tiles right over the top.

If you do decide to paint, you will need to first thoroughly clean the floor with warm water and a solution of T.S.P (tri-sodium phosphate) then apply a high adhesion primer before rolling the colour over the top.

I would not suggest painting if you any areas that are so worn holes have appeared, as the final job will end up looking patchy.

If you just want to get the floor so it blends better with your scheme and covers up the worn patches for a couple of years then painting is a good solution.

If you can, take a sample of the flooring to your paint shop and tell them what you plan to do.
    They shpould be able to suggest the best products to use to create the best effect. They should still be able to advise you, even if you can't take a sample.
    If the vinyl is flat, you can pretty much paint it any colour, but I would stay away from darker colours if the vinyl has a raised pattern, unless you want to hi-light it as that is what a darker colour would do.

I have to congratulate you on even considering the painting option.
    A lot of people shy away from it because it seems like such a daunting task and there is really no turning back once you've started.
    Hopefully you will have a spare piece of vinyl you can try the colour you choose out on, or if not paint under the stove or fridge first in case you don't like it.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Thanks for all the advice
    I think I try it first on laundry room floor then, it is the same vinyl as kitchen. Not as catastrophic if it should not be a success. Hubby is not too excited about my plans, but well, he is going camping for a week in a month or so...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234