+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Decorating question

Yep, this is what I do for a living

Copper piping is an exellent idea for a drapery rod.
    The hardware store is an underutilised place in the field of interior design I think. So rich in posibilities if a little imagination is used.

You could get a thick length of dowling too, or even a length of bamboo from the garden centre.
    You can also use plumbing fixtures to attact the rod to the walls.
    If you have a woodcraft section in your local hardward store you should be able to find wooden forms (egg shapes, ball shapes of various sizes etc.)that can be attached to the end of whatever you have decided to use for a pole with "No More Nails|", to act as finials and just jazz it up a bit.
    In Canada these are usually no more than a couple of dollars each, even for the larger ones, so they would be very cheap in the US, same goes for the plumbing fixtures, although brackets should only be a few dollars each too.

Of course, if you use plumbing fixtures instead of brackets you'll have to take the whole thing off the wall to wash the curtains, so from a convenience point of view brackets are easier.

If you're sticking with the spongy pattern I would try to either find fabric, or perhaps ready made drapes in a shade close to one of the colours you've used on the wall.
    My preference would be for the darker shade in general and without having seen the colours, but either would do.

You can easily change tab top curtains into pleated curtains if you'd prefer that look.
    Just iron the tabs flat against the back of the curtain and in a matching thread sew a line across the the free end of each tab (anywhere along the tab willdo as long as you have left enough space to feed the rod back through), attaching it to the main body of the curtain.
    Then simply thread the tabs onto the rod as normal and your tabs tops will have turned into loosely pleated curtains.
    This will obviously make the curtains shorter and they may no longer touch the floor.
    You might not mind that look, but if you don't like that, one very hot trend at the moment is to have your curtains edged in a contrasting or complimentary fabric.
    Simply buy a couple of yards of fabric and sew a strip onto the bottom so your drapes touch the floor.
    This fabric could be in whatever colour you have decided to use for accents in the room, or simply be a darker of lighter shade of your main curtain fabirc. The choice is really yours, so many options.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Fluff, you are a goldmine. If I didn't have qualms about PMing you incessently with decorating questions, you'd never get a moment's rest.

And Shazzer, seriously check out eBay for your fabric. The deals I got there were incredible. I talked to someone who bought a sari similar to the one I have at a retail place, and she spent over $200. Mine was $25.

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaG
    Fluff, you are a goldmine. If I didn't have qualms about PMing you incessently with decorating questions, you'd never get a moment's rest.

And Shazzer, seriously check out eBay for your fabric. The deals I got there were incredible. I talked to someone who bought a sari similar to the one I have at a retail place, and she spent over $200. Mine was $25.
    Fluff.

Danger, Fluff, danger. Now you have opened pandora's box and I can already hear the 1 million decorating questions I plan to ask forming......buwahhahahahaha!! ! *thunder clap*

Amanda, I've taken your advice and looked at ebay. Dangerous!!! I think I want it all!! Must...restrain...self....*pan t, pant*
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

I'm happy to answer questions guys.
    "That's Numberwang!"

*jumps in*

I surprisingly noticed you'd posted a reply right away. Buwahahahahah....

Actually, I was just going to say that I looked this weekend at different fabrics etc., and I think I'm in love with sage. *sigh* Sooo peaceful.

Thanks for your helpful tips. I will definitely be asking more.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

Yep, sage is a really restful colour.

You can use it with white or cream to pep it up a little or with shades of tan to really create a warm feel.

Sage also looks good with some of the really pretty pale blues that are popular now.

I must admit, sage is one of my faves.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Okay, here's a big question. My as yet unfurnished new home has a built in cubby hole for a HUGE TV, right above the fireplace. I hate it. I.e. I don't hate the cubby, but I hate the location, as it's extremely high up. Makes you feel like you're in the front row of a movie theater. I think I'd get a crick in my neck watching a TV in that location.

So my idea is to place the TV across from the fireplace/cubby area in an armoire instead, and just snake the cords around the edge/floor of the room to the desired, new location.

Question: How do I hide the cords?

Also: What to do with the now empty cubby? It's pretty deep (like I said, big enough for a huge TV that's perhaps 32 inches).

A. Not a big fan of plain old vases.
    B. Huge fan of functional space (i.e. rather than just decorative space).
    C. I think a big sculpture wouldn't excite me, but at Christmas time I'd likely put a gold/grapevine Christmas tree I made (3 feet or so tall). The rest of the year, I need to hide the plugs and the eventual snaking cords coming from that area, as well as the outlets there. And because of the cords, I don't want to put anything flammable there. *sigh*

The cubby is made of textured drywall, as is the surround and mantle of the fireplace (gas). Prettttyyyy boring. I'm thinking of putting neutral tiles around the fireplace, and then surrounding the mantle and the cubby with wood (I'm pretty handy with a saw and miter box etc.)

Or should I just scrap the idea and go ahead and get a crick in my neck?

This thread has become, like, the online version of a DYI interior design talk-show, w/ Fluff as the star (or victim.)

Hmmm, do not get a crick in your neck Shazzer, I like the armoire idea.

Hmmmm, difficult to answer without seeing tehe area you're talking about.
    If you weren't going to put the tree in there I would suggest putting shelves into the cubby.
    Make use of the fact there is electrics in the area by having a recessed light fitted (not expensive to buy and easy to fit yourself or cheap to have an electrician fit).
    You could even add a surface mounted light, which come in very streamlined shapes, so as to be functional in providing light without being "fussy".

Then I'd likely split the area into three by installing two simple shelves (using quarter round to support), turning the space into a display area for family photos, books,etc.
    You could use the bottom of the cubby for cd/dvd/video storage. You could find some nice baskets to store them in for example, to give a more streamlined look.

You could also think about closing the area off by adding doors to the front. This could then be used as a media storage area. Simple mouldings could be added to the doors to add a little interest and a couple of attractive handles.

You can get plain white conduit to snake the cords through.
    Place it just above the base board, the cables snap inside.
    The best thing to do if possible is to have the cables fed round to the desired area inside the drywall which is not difficult to do.

I have to get my thinking cap on a little more for this
    "That's Numberwang!"

Thank you, Fluff!

This is too much fun.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast