+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Decorating question

This is by far the most useful thread (to me) for my current interests. Whoo hoo! And Fluff...you weren't too detailed...you were just right!

Oddly, I was thinking of posting a question like this, because I'm getting ready to move soon and am in the process of buying used furniture with great "bones" and ugly, ugly, "messed-up" upholstery. I always saw Hildi pinning frabric and I've thought, "I can do that. Can't I?"

Anyhow, this is really great advice. I'm happy I stumbled onto it.

And GG, when you find out the name of that other discount website, let us know? Thanks!!

Let me ask this...Fluff mentioned staying away from intricate patterns. What about a rich reddish background with the gold paisleys/squiggles on it (not sure if I'm describing it correctly, but..trust me...it's pretty!)? Would that work?
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

I know this response is a little late, but...AmandaG mentioned using saris to make slip-covers. I would suggest simple yet elegant cotton saris with a block print designs. More economial and durable than the popular silk saris with intricate embroidery.

Yes and more apt to stand up to being used as upholstery fabric.

With regard to the paisley print Shazzer, it sounds lovely and I think it would make a good pattern for a slip cover.
    Depending on the size of the print you may need extra yardage to account for match ups when you cover the arms.
    You can usually get away without worrying about matching the pattern .
    It's hard to explain, but it really varies from pattern to pattern.
    It's really a case of what looks good to your own eye.
    Go to the shop where you saw the fabric, unravel the bolt a bit so you have a few feet of fabric and with it right side up make a few pleats in it.
    This will go some way to simulating directional changes and seams you will make in the fabric when covering the arms.
    It sounds ridiculous, but if it looks ok to you that way it will probably look ok on the sofa.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by nausicaa
    I know this response is a little late, but...AmandaG mentioned using saris to make slip-covers. I would suggest simple yet elegant cotton saris with a block print designs. More economial and durable than the popular silk saris with intricate embroidery.
    Too late! I already received my saris last week. Shipping from India can be incredibly fast. Who knew?

Anyway, I went for the intricate ones. What you (and Fluff) are saying makes all the sense in the world, but...well, I don't know. These are a stopgap measure, only intended to last a couple of years. So I figured what the hell, and got ones that I fell in love with. Bright red with gold embroidery, and royal purple (also with gold embroidery). They aren't subtle, but they're stunning.

I haven't turned them into slipcovers yet, though. Right now the fabric is merely draped over the couches. I may just keep it like that, since it's hiding a multitude of sins, and still looks pretty. And I'm lazy.

But I *have* printed this page out, and it's filed under "definitive slipcover instructions", for when the day finally comes that I get inspired.

P.S. eBay is the best place ever. I ended up getting 6 yards of each fabric (width of 60"), one for $25, the other for $40. FAR cheaper than most of the fabric stores I've seen here, FAR cheaper than ready-made slipcovers, and, IMO, FAR nicer. I < heart > eBay.

You got an excellent deal on eBay Amanda
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaG
    So I figured what the hell, and got ones that I fell in love with. Bright red with gold embroidery, and royal purple (also with gold embroidery). They aren't subtle, but they're stunning.
    This is similar to the type of fabric (the red with gold) that I wanted to put on these two little matching arm chairs from the Goodwill. Dang...I must now check ebay.

Thanks Master Fluff.

Next up...draperies. I only have blinds. I need to buy yards and yards and yards of fabric for drapes on all windows (I believe I have, let's see, one huge window in the living room, and three more huge windows in other rooms.) All right, I don't like having dated colors, and I see myself as the person who would accessorize in colors I like, i.e. with throws and pillows, but would prefer a neutral background color for things like drapes etc. that will stay there long term (I figure I could always jazz up the drapes with one of those lit'ler skirt-like thingies for just the tip top of the drape, to match the decor.)

Any good ideas on a neutral style of drape, and a neutral color, one that goes with everything?
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

A couple of questions for you Shazzer...

Are you planning to keep the blinds and just install curtains over the top to soften the look or are you ditching the blinds?

If the blinds are staying, what colour are they, are they wood, horizontal or vertical?

What colour are the walls?

Will you definitely be covering the chairs in the paisley print?

What colour carpet do you have/hardwood/vinyl/ceramic in the living room?

"That's Numberwang!"

I've been rethinking the red/paisley thing, just because the fabric is looking to be kind of expensive.

So...the goal now is to do neutral things and then just add colorful accents (as in throws and pillows and candles and baskets or what not). The walls right now have that woolie technique on them, i.e. where you apply two colors at the same time, kind of looks like sponge paint but not exactly. Right now the two colors they blended are cream and a warm, light, tan.

My 2nd favorite color for any walls would be green. Love green. Not a dark green, but you know, the very popular green you see nowadays. Light, but not mint. Muted sort of. I'm completely drawing a blank on the color.

I also like a creamy yellow, i.e. sort of almost Italian, almost white, almost like a cream color, only just a hint more of yellow in it.

The blinds are horizontal, and I was thinking of keeping them for privacy. But I'm open to having sheers and drapes instead, because I enjoy the privacy of that look, and the darkening affect of that look. I really like shades, too. I'm not "in love" with blinds, but they're purely utilitarian right now.

The living room has a grayish-tan carpet, very new, very neutral looking, very light. I'd call the carpet color a non-issue, since it's so very neutral looking that it can go with anything.

I'm a mess. I like too many things.

Neutral is always a good way to go imo, particularly if you do like to change out the smaller things, pillows, throws etc, as the mood takes you.

The carpet sounds like the perfect backdrop for any colour which is excellent.

Sounds like you might like a pale sage for the walls, i.e. a green with beige/grey/blue undertones.
    Sage is a very relaxing colour.
    You could also use a pale "moss" shade which has more of a yellowish undertone whereas the sage is more in the bluer half of the green spectrum.

If you're looking towards a really pale colour, as in the hint of yellow option, you might even want to look to the "white's" paint companies offer.
    There are all kinds of whites, with tones ranging from blue to green to yellow to beige, and they work well as a neutral backdrop while still providing colour.

If you want a really neutral backdrop, you could always make curtains in the same colour as your walls, but get the fabric first. You can get a paint company to perform a computer analysis of the fabric to create a custom colour that is an exact match, but if you get the paint first you might well struggle to find matching fabric.

Imagine the sage option with the paint and simple drapes in the same colour, that would look wonderful. You can jazz up the window treatment with a dedorative rod and finials and even add tie backs or trim to the curtains to add interest.
    You have to decide whether you want to use a curtain rod or a simple "I" frame track.
    If you're going to go neutral I'd suggest a decorative rod and finials as it'll add interest.
    You then need to decide whether you want a wooden pole or a metal pole, and if you choose metal what type, white metal, wrought iron, antique brass etc.

With the neutral green or cream/pale yellowish options you can really pretty much add any colours you like to the accessories in the room.
    If you find expensive fabrics that you love, just buy half a metre and make a throw pillow or two, you can always back them with a plain cotton in a complimentary or contrasting shade,which would be very cheap.

I could gab on about this all day

Look at magazines and see if there are rooms that appeal to you that you can try to recreate.
    I'll provide some links to the some of the sites I use for work too
    "That's Numberwang!"

Daaaaaaaaaaannnnnngggg....*giv es Fluff the high-five*

You the woman...

See, I knew calling you "Master Fluff" was right on the money.

I have no idea why I could not think of the word, "sage" or the word "moss". It was just *poof* gone. I frequently have that problem. Like I might have to describe something by saying, "you know those shoes with the blades on the bottom?"
    Answer: "Yeah, those would be called skates." Ha...ha..huh...ah.......um...

So..Fluff...are you a professional decorator/designer?

I have no idea where to start. See...my thing is that I'm almost starting from scratch. That can either be great or a challenge, depending on how you look at it.

What if I kept the blinds, and then kept the creamy/tan sponge painted walls? What draperies then? (Curtain rods...hmm...a whole new expense. *sigh* Perhaps I'll get tab-top curtains and spray paint some PVC piping or copper pipe for the rod. )

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast