+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why Reality TV Can't Handle Roseanne

Why Reality TV Can't Handle Roseanne

WHY REALITY TV CAN'T HANDLE ROSEANNE

By MICHAEL GILTZ
    NY Post

July 28, 2003 -- ROSEANNE'S back on the air with not one - but two new shows. The first is a reality series titled "The Real Roseanne Show" debuting next week on ABC.

"Don't call it a reality series!" an older, wiser Roseanne insists.

She still laughs the cackle that memorably ended her sitcom's 10-year run.

The idea was to do a real-life network series about Rosenane trying to sell a, um, real-life cable series.

"Everybody says 'reality' but it's more like a documentary."

What you see watching the first series - "The Real Roseanne Show" - is a star who fears that what she's done since her smash hit has been a failure, a daytime talk show.

She believes her new cable series - a cooking show called "Domestic Goddess" airing on ABC Family as soon as the "Real Roseanne" ends - may be her last chance.

Will she be able to maneuver through the stress of being back in the spotlight without falling into her old habits of yelling and firing everyone around her?

So far - yes.

"It turned out to be the most ridiculous disaster, the making of the pilot," Roseanne admits. "And I ended up with a pretty unairable product -but I was nice!"

This time, Roseanne surrounds herself with family and friends, paying her sons to work in her production company (they're seen on "Real Roseanne" playing with plastic swords and getting lost on the way to a crucial meeting with agents), taking advice from a rabbi who's a face reader and analyzes some people she's considering to run her project, and basically maintaining her acerbic cool as the pressure mounts.

Watch the show and you'll see Roseanne's new boyfriend (a composer of children's music whom she met on the Internet) giving sensible advice while they try to hash out her comeback.

Roseanne says it's high time for a little nepotism. "I made a lot of people millionaires and not one of them's ever thanked me," she says.

"I'm doing it for my kids this time."
    http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/1647.htm

If Ozzy can do it, why can't she?

If Ozzy can do it, why can't she?
    Because Ozzy isn't "trying" to be funny. That is what makes him funny. Same thing with Anna Nicole to ome extent. The joke is that you can laugh at them and they don't know it.

When is the Real Rossanne show on anyways? I would be willing to give it a look but this site is the only place I have ever seen it mentioned.
    "'Your best?' Losers always whine about 'their best.' Winners go home and **** the prom queen."

August 6, ABC Family.

There's a thread a little ways down this page.

I don't think Ozzy's being funny as much as he's being his bafoonish self in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by stebo
    Because Ozzy isn't "trying" to be funny. That is what makes him funny. Same thing with Anna Nicole to ome extent. The joke is that you can laugh at them and they don't know it.

When is the Real Rossanne show on anyways? I would be willing to give it a look but this site is the only place I have ever seen it mentioned.

I cannot see how she managed to get 2 shows going on tv. Its not like she is this great actress--she is just being herself. Her humour is the bully bellowing kind that is only funny if you're not on the receiving end. Even then, I have my doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey
    I cannot see how she managed to get 2 shows going on tv. Its not like she is this great actress--she is just being herself. Her humour is the bully bellowing kind that is only funny if you're not on the receiving end. Even then, I have my doubts.
    One show is a short summer season show--hardly a huge risk. The other show is not only ONLY going to be shown on cable, but the cable channel is ABC Family--in other word a near-corpse of a cable channel which is hardly breathing.

Taken together, these hardly constitute a comeback for a woman who had a top 10 spot in Primetime for years and years.

The odd thing is... the Reality show portion actually isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Roseanne's personal collection of leeches almost approach being entertaining in the depth of their lameness, and its almost like a game trying to figure out which portions of the show are posed and which aren't (trust me... a lot definitely is, but the posing is better hidden than in "The Osbornes".)

The reality show was originally scheduled for ABC Family as well, but at the last minute, ABC decided to air it instead.

+ Reply to Thread