+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Star Dates: The Jimmy Walker Dates - I'll Say Anything But Dyn-o-mite!

Star Dates: The Jimmy Walker Dates - I'll Say Anything But Dyn-o-mite!

I’ll Say Anything But Dyn-o-mite!

Star Dates
    Featuring: Jimmie Walker

Star Dates’ premise is to combine Blind Date, Elimidate, Disgusting Date, and any other dating show you can think of. The twist here is to set up dates between a B list actor and a normal (read: not famous, but probably trying to be) citizen.

Reggie Gaskins hosts, and once again, if you have never seen this show before, do tune in to see how a reality show should be hosted. Reggie is helpful, observant, and funny.

The “Celebrity”

Jimmie Walker is a comedian first, and actor second. No doubt though he is known best for his role as James Evans Jr., or “JJ” in the 70’s sitcom, Good Times.

JJ was easily the most famous character from that show which ran 1974-1979. All through this episode we are treated to vintage Jimmie clips from Good Times, and of course, a healthy serving of his famous tag line, “dyn-o-mite!” said as only Jimmie could say it. It seems though that Jimmie is as sick of that phrase as TV watchers at the time undoubtedly were, and his one pet peeve is that he doesn’t do that on demand any longer. Good for you Jimmie!

Since the show ended, Jimmie has remained quite busy. He was a comedian for 12 years, touring with the likes of Richard Prior, or opening for then diva queen Donna Summer.

On screen, Jimmie never achieved the same success as he had in Good Times, but he had no trouble getting work, taking 23 movie or TV roles since JJ, plus an additional 33 TV guest spots. Some of those roles brought a smile to my face, including his incredible performance as windshield wiper man in Airplane!.

He also has the obligatory guest appearance on The Love Boat under his belt. Not just one appearance either. In what may be a Star Dates record, he has six guest star credits under his belt. That is a lot of drinking with Isaac.

Jimmie was popular on the game show circuit as well, including Hollywood Squares, Match Game, Tattletales, Weakest Link, Beat the Geeks, and one of my favorite game shows, Street Smarts.

We don’t learn any more facts about Jimmie during the show, which is surprising given that both dates really focused on him, and not his companion. Regular readers know that is usually the kiss of death on this program, but Jimmie has always been unique, so maybe he would break the mold.

Jimmie is not picky about women, he merely says, “I like women who like me!” If you think about it, there is an impressive simplicity to that… or maybe I need to layoff the Starbucks. Probably the latter, or is that latte?

Whom would he be dating?

The “Normal” Folks

Stella is a yoga instructor, originally from Queens, NY. She is looking for a soul mate, and someone with charisma. I think you will like Jimmie then Stella. She also tells us that her dream is to sing the national anthem at game seven of the World Series. A game that the Yankees win. Well, you were doing okay until that last comment Stella. Baseball needs another Yankees Series win like I need another ex-wife.

Darby is a former professional softball pitcher, who is now a talent scout. She is originally from Burbank, California, and confesses to us that she is afraid of marriage. She is a self-described “wild child”.

Date #1 – Stella

It is white envelope time, and Reggie arrives at Stella’s pretty impressive house to give her the good news. She opens the package to find a head shot from Jimmie’s days on Good Times. Her reaction?

Stella: “That’s funny!”

Despite that unfortunate first response, she is actually excited about seeing Jimmie. Her friend told her in a joking manner that she would probably be dating him, and now it is coming to pass.

They meet. Jimmy wants to hug, but Stella pulls back. A bit awkward. You can feel the distance between them as they stand in the doorway.

But then… a miracle!!!!

Jimmie asks if Stella is ready to go. She says she needs to get her bag, and before she can, Jimmie is in the house grabbing it for her. This event stuns Stella, and convinces her that Jimmie is a very “intuitive” man. Her entire attitude changed at that moment for the better.

Yes, a miracle!!!!

Other miracles Jimmie performed on this date included saying please and thank you (it was like he knew exactly what to say!), holding a door open for Stella (proving he is telepathic, how else would he know she wanted to enter the building?), and tipping the waiter (wow, amazing generosity). It is like the man is Kreskin and Ghandi all rolled up into one dyn-o-mite guy!

Never mind the reality that any non-celebrity that tried to barge into her house like that would most likely be washing the pepper spray out of their eyes for the remainder of their date.

Their first stop is at a ceramic painting shop, and they both pick out pieces to customize. These two have no trouble talking with each other, and things are going well. I am guessing that a lot of it is Jimmie himself. Much like Dustin Diamond in season one, I found Jimmie to be exactly opposite of what I expected. His character on the show was incredibly annoying to me, but here on Star Dates, the real Jimmie is smart, funny, and self-depreciating.

Stella likes him, but is it a friend thing, or a love thing?

They finish painting their ceramics, and the shop attendant offers to fire them for free, if only Jimmie will blurt out a “dyn-o-mite.”

For the love of God, leave the poor man alone! Can you imagine what it must be like for him everyday? You go to the store, you have people begging you to say it. You go to the doctor to get that pesky rash looked at, and he wants you to say before he will prescribe a medication… oh wait, maybe that is me… never mind… You go to the airport, and they want you to say “dyn-o-mite”, and no one cares that if you do say it there, you will be detained.

That’s right, no one cares. You are just supposed to be a walking “dyn-o-mite” entertainment hour.

They go to dinner, and Jimmie compliments Stella on her dress. He likes a woman who knows what looks good on her. Not just what looks good. No truer words have ever been spoken.

During the meal, they joke and continue to talk about many subjects, including Jimmie’s car, which is a Cadillac de Ville. He emphasizes though that it is not a pimp mobile. That is somewhat ironic given that his last movie role was that of a pimp.

While they do get along great, it is becoming clear that these two are in the friends zone, and having such a good time, they aren’t going to come out. I don’t blame them, as they obviously crack each other up. There is not going to be romance here. The date ends at Stella’s doorstep with a big hug.

Date#2 – Darby

Reggie brings the dreaded head shot to Darby, and her reaction is somewhat the same as Stella before her. She laughs out loud, and says “That’s great!”

Darby also says that she suspected the date would Jimmie. I am not surprised, as when I first heard of the premise of this show, I confess the first name I thought of as a participant was Jimmie.

They shake hands at the meet. Jimmie says that Darby is “physically appealing.” What does she think though?

Darby: “He looks better than I expected”

On the drive to their first event, the couple is discussing their reasons for being on a show like this. Darby wants to know why he is willing to take a chance. Jimmie says he is not taking a chance; he is “fortifying happiness”. Darby loves it.

You know, I have come to realize that only celebrities can say crap like that to a woman and have it work…

Bill at local bar: Hey babe, how would like to head back to my place and fortify a little happiness?
    Offended woman in bar: Hey bouncer, fortify this guy’s ass out the door!
    Bill: *ouch* *oof* Watch the shirt! That’s rayon! *slam*

… hmmm… maybe it is more in the delivery than it is the words itself.

Anyhow, back to the date. They go skeet shooting, which is a troublesome proposition to Darby. She is afraid of guns, or so she tells us. I remain skeptical, for she easily wins a shooting competition against Jimmie. No truth to the rumors that Charlton Heston offered up a NRA application after the show.

At dinner, Jimmie goes into full flirt mode. Reggie is impressed, saying that he is going to close the deal.

Darby says that she is “impressed by how smart he is.” Meanwhile, Jimmie notes that they are in synch on all major issues. This could be a match.

They continue talking, and soon come to an agreement that neither one of them believe in marriage. Instead they like the idea of a rolling 3 to 5 year renewal program. They call it “our plan”. It sounds more like something my mortgage broker pitched to me last year, but hey, if it works for them, I have no objections.

This date also ends on the doorstep, but this time they are holding hands. They hug. Hold hands more. They hug again. Jimmie walks away saying he couldn’t be happier, and Darby seems to echo that sentiment.

No question these two will be getting together later, and once again the Star Dates producers have made a match.

Next Week

Get ready to squeal and scream ladies, yes, the next Star Date is Leif Garrett. Until next week! Comments are welcome. Email: bill@fansofrealitytv.com
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Truly a dyn-o-mite recap Bill.
    I really enjoyed reading it. In fact, I probably enjoyed reading it more than I would have enjoyed watching the episode, (and it sounded like a good one!).

LG.
    Very funny recap, Bill! My favorite part:
    It is like the man is Kreskin and Ghandi all rolled up into one dyn-o-mite guy!
    I love the thought of Jimmy get detained at the airport just like the "Hi, Jack!" scene from Airplane! Can't ever have too many Airplane! references
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Very funny Bill. I only saw a couple of these shows. I think I like your recap better.

Never mind the reality that any non-celebrity that tried to barge into her house like that would most likely be washing the pepper spray out of their eyes for the remainder of their date.
    So true, so true. Just thinking about it brings tears to my eyes.

Great job, Bill! It's amazing how they manage to find a good match almost every week.

LG.
    Has anyone seen the Leif Garrett date episode? I'm watching it right now. Maybe we won't notice that he's bald if he wears stupid hats and bandanas the whole time. I seriously thought he was Danny Bunaduce (sp?) because I have no clue who Leif is.

The host is HILARIOUS, by the way.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    I'm really sorry I missed this show. thanks for doing a great recap Bill, as I doubt they'll rerun it.

Well, you were doing okay until that last comment Stella. Baseball needs another Yankees Series win like I need another ex-wife.
    LMAO

Funny stuff!

JR.
    Bill at local bar: Hey babe, how would like to head back to my place and fortify a little happiness?
    Offended woman in bar: Hey bouncer, fortify this guy’s ass out the door!
    Bill: *ouch* *oof* Watch the shirt! That’s rayon! *slam*
    Great stuff Bill!

+ Reply to Thread