+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reality "Hillbillies" Series Still Alive

Leo
    Premium Member

Reality "Hillbillies" Series Still Alive

From CNN.com:

'Hillbillies' reality series still alive, CBS chairman says

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- CBS Chairman Leslie Moonves said Sunday a reality version of "The Beverly Hillbillies" remains a possibility, despite sharp criticism of the idea as a mockery of rural Americans.

"Obviously, there's a lot more controversy involved with the show than I ever imagined there would be, including from many labor unions," Moonves told a meeting of the Television Critics Association.

Unions, politicians and others across the South have attacked the proposed series, which would pay an Appalachian family up to $500,000 to live for a year in a Hollywood mansion.

"The Real Beverly Hillbillies" is a takeoff on the hit sitcom that ran on CBS from 1962- 71.

Moonves said he was surprised at some of the criticism, including a February speech by Sen. Zell Miller, D-Georgia, who called the show a bigoted attack on the rural poor.

The speech given shortly before the start of the war on Iraq "sort of shocked me, considering world events and what I always thought the U.S. Senate was supposed to do," Moonves said.

CBS still is considering the show but hasn't made a decision yet, he said.

Attacks on a possible "Hillbillies" series have been launched by Southern community leaders and others. In May, West Virginia and Kentucky mine workers protested outside a shareholders' meeting at the Manhattan headquarters of CBS's parent company, Viacom, and met with Viacom chief operating officer Mel Karmazin.

CBS has said there is no concept for the show yet and that the network is not trying to offend anyone.

During the TV critics' question-and-answer session, one reporter noted that CBS tended to stick with controversial projects, such as last season's miniseries about the early years of Nazi leader Adolf Hitler.

While Moonves called it a stretch to compare the "Hitler: The Rise of Evil" and "Beverly Hillbillies" projects, he defended his network's willingness to take chances.

"If we're not doing something controversial that makes somebody unhappy, we're not doing our job right," Moonves said.

Mooves said premature criticism of "Rise of Evil" was not borne out and he is proud of the finished work, which drew a best-miniseries Emmy nomination last week.

Thanks, Leo. I was going to post that this morning, and got sidetracked. I can't believe that CBS hasn't caved on this yet.

Leo
    Premium Member
    No problem - and this show sounds so bad, it makes Are You Hot? look good.

The thing is... this family gets a year in a mansion with servants PLUS $500,000.

Now that may not seem like a lot to some folks, but 1/2 a mil would go a LOOOOOOOOOONG way in some of the more rural sections of this country. I say good for what ever family they find! More power to 'em.

Wouldn't it be GREAT if they got to live there, got their money, then the opposition won and the show never aired

I think that's what I am hoping for
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Hey, maybe they could find a poor black family and have them act out a remake of Amos and Andy! Maybe put some watermelon and fried chicken out for them to eat on the porch too! Maybe see if they can act normal around white people.

That's not much more offensive than thinking southerners should be glad to reinforce negative stereotypes of themselves from former TV shows. There's poor people all over, you think no one in the south lives in a mansion? The biggest privately-owned mansion in America is in the North Carolina Appalachian mountains! Do they honestly think they are going to get some toothless backwoods hick with a rope for a belt to think the billiard room is a place for the "fancy eatin' table?" I guess it's the only group it's still PC to think you are better than, at least in Hollywood.

Quote Originally Posted by Xantham Gum
    Hey, maybe they could find a poor black family and have them act out a remake of Amos and Andy! Maybe put some watermelon and fried chicken out for them to eat on the porch too! Maybe see if they can act normal around white people.

That's not much more offensive than thinking southerners should be glad to reinforce negative stereotypes of themselves from former TV shows. There's poor people all over, you think no one in the south lives in a mansion? The biggest privately-owned mansion in America is in the North Carolina Appalachian mountains! Do they honestly think they are going to get some toothless backwoods hick with a rope for a belt to think the billiard room is a place for the "fancy eatin' table?" I guess it's the only group it's still PC to think you are better than, at least in Hollywood.
    Uhmm Xantham Gum, Psst...have you checked out the UPN channel? That network is full of BLAXPLOTATION shows.? (Off-topic, sorry)

Since the writer's strike, the networks struggled to create shows out of that chaos. For better or for worse, this is the kind of thinking that was spawned. Im glad that the Appalachian community and others have made a stink regarding this concept, the last thing we need to do is create MORE stereotypes.

P.S. (I really dont like watermelon.......cross that one off the list)

Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God

+ Reply to Thread