+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vern Yip

Vern Yip Leaving "Trading Spaces"

From the CNN website...the article can also be found by clicking here.

'Trading's' Yip says he's leaving
    Designer will get own NBC show

Wednesday, April 28, 2004 Posted: 3:03 PM EDT (1903 GMT)

BATON ROUGE, Louisiana (AP) -- Vern Yip, one of the designers on TLC's "Trading Spaces," will be trading spaces no more.

Yip, 34, told The Advocate newspaper that he's leaving the program to star in his own home improvement show on NBC.

He'll start production on "Design Intervention" in June, for airing in September, Yip said in a phone interview.

" 'Trading Spaces' was an amazing opportunity for me," Yip said. "It opened a lot of doors for me and allowed me to travel across the country and to meet a lot of great people. Now NBC has offered me my own show."

On "Trading Spaces," neighbors decorate a room in each other's home with the help of a designer in two days with a budget of $1,000.

"We're going to transform an entire house, inside and out in two weeks," Yip said. The homeowners will get all new furniture and landscaping.

"We want to get families involved," he said. "We're looking for those homes where they've started a project, like a new addition, and thought they could do it on their own, but they never really finished it."

NBC Stages 'Intervention' with Designer

Thu Apr 29, 3:50 AM ET
    By Nellie Andreeva

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - NBC is venturing into the red-hot home makeover reality genre with "Design Intervention," starring interior designer Vern Yip of TLC's hit "Trading Spaces."

Each episode of the show will focus on a family who started building their house by themselves, or bought an older house to renovate themselves, but for whatever reason -- time, money or lack of experience -- didn't finish it and are living in the middle of a giant mess. Yip and his team of experts will complete the project.

Production on "Design Intervention" is scheduled to begin in June. Yip is the second "Trading Spaces" alumnus to make the transition to a major broadcast network with their own primetime show. Former "Trading Spaces" carpenter Ty Pennington toplines ABC's breakout hit "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition."

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

Isn't that sort-of the idea of In a Fix? The homeowners started something they can't finish
    ugh. I don't get time to watch TV anymore, much less hang out at the FORT.

But don't you worry, I'll be back in full force on or about November 3rd.

Yeah, except these guys will take 2 weeks, instead of the 3 days that IAF takes.

I thought Vern had already left, he hasn't been on TS for months.

I tihnk he's an excellent designer, I'm so pleased he's getting his own show.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I loved Vern on TS, his rooms were always so elegant and classy. He deserves his own show and its one I will definitely check out.
    "Someone forgot to drink their courageous juice this morning" from "Psych"

He was by far the best designer on Trading Spaces. Him getting his own show is awesome cause its almost always a guarentee that I will like all of his designs. Can't wait to see this one.

I'm a Vern Yip fan. I think he's a great designer. My only thing is I do not like In A Fix as a show, at least its format. Probably the "more time" element will help, but there's just something about IAF I don't like. I also hope they aren't saturating the networks with remodeling shows. That would be a recipe for repetition and boredom and I wouldn't want Vern to be a victim to that.

Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    I thought the exact same thing. I've nearly stopped watching TS ever since Vern has been missing from the show.
    He has an amazing talent and is quite likeable.
    I'll be watching for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by fluff

I tihnk he's an excellent designer, I'm so pleased he's getting his own show.
    Actually, Trading Spaces was holding on to two or three episodes they shot with him last summer. And instead of announcing to the viewers that he wasn't going to be on after these last few episodes, they decided to string the viewers along. They knew if word got out, people would not be happy. Vern wasn't allowed to comment on his status either.

In the meantime, they introduce three or four new designers and mixed it up a little, hoping we wouldn't miss Vern. I think last month they showed a "new" episode with the remaining episodes to air near the end of the season.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast