+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hilda Santo-Tomas

FORT Newbie
    Did you see it last night in Scotland's "Trading Castles" where the British guy called her Cruella? I about cracked up. Periodically I like her stuff, but for the most part, she isn't warm and cozy and certainly is a snob. She eludes to the fact that she and her rich childless marriage to the older Frenchman are so "above" anything she does here in America. Oh well.... it's entertainment and if we don't want to watch it, we don't have to. If everybody adored their rooms, there wouldn't be any "shock value" and people would quit watching. I read that Tr. Spaces viewership was down substantially from last year. Maybe that's why all the spinoffs (ie : Town Haul and Moving Up) have occured, as well as the format now, where you don't know what room they are going to select. They sign a release before they are on the show, so they know what they are getting into and if they don't, then they aren't reading the fine print. I would imagine if you had something in your house that you truly valued, you could tape a huge sign on it that says "KEEP OFF." HA HA HA HA

eny
    FORT Fogey
    What cracked me up about that ,was that guy was a pompous well bred fart that lived in a castle and she still thought she was better than he was. Of couse she lives in a chateau so la-de-da I guess.
    The viewership is down substantialy because of Hildy IMHO. Every single room she does is some kind of nightmare. She makes little or no attempt to take the homeowners tastes into account, but goes for shock value each and every time. It gets old very quickly , and the ratings are reflecting that.

I liked the fact that the guy was looking out for the owner and battling Hildy. As far as I am concerned, she has no talent at all. When I see her as one of the designers, I watch more to see how the couple takes to her ideas because she has no ideas that need remembering for my place. She should go back to France and be a loon. Frank is the best one that I have seen so far.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

Quote Originally Posted by Jutilda
    If everybody adored their rooms, there wouldn't be any "shock value" and people would quit watching. I read that Tr. Spaces viewership was down substantially from last year. Maybe that's why all the spinoffs (ie : Town Haul and Moving Up) have occured, as well as the format now, where you don't know what room they are going to select.
    Shock value is a fine line though. If you step over it too far, or in the wrong way, you lose viewers. It's already why they've lost many viewers, according to that New York Post poll last year. That's about why I rarely ever watch TS anymore. It's no longer shocking what Hilde or Doug do. Now it's just an insult to my viewing intelligence, and I really get offended by their attitudes towards homeowners. Also, the whole scam they ran about supposedly letting viewers pick the new designer just cinched my attitude about it. It was entirely too obvious that Jon had already been selected as the new designer -- and I use that word very loosely. So the entire show now is just a scam to me, with nothing useful in it.

But back to the topic... Hilde's blatant disregard for common sense (sand in the room, straw on the walls, concrete formal dining room in a mansion, etc) is no longer entertaining to me. Her design credentials are severely lacking in the first place, and what she does to those homes is just criminal felony design.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

FORT Fan
    WHAT design credentials? The woman's professional background is in finance. Doesn't this tell us something?????

Exactly my point.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jutilda
    If everybody adored their rooms, there wouldn't be any "shock value" and people would quit watching.
    It's not shocking anymore when you expect it. I stopped watching 2 seasons ago. If they weren't purposely going for the shock and it just happened randomly it would be much better.

Quote Originally Posted by eny
    What cracked me up about that ,was that guy was a pompous well bred fart that lived in a castle and she still thought she was better than he was. Of couse she lives in a chateau so la-de-da I guess.
    The viewership is down substantialy because of Hildy IMHO. Every single room she does is some kind of nightmare. She makes little or no attempt to take the homeowners tastes into account, but goes for shock value each and every time. It gets old very quickly , and the ratings are reflecting that.
    Well said!

I agree with everything you wrote (although I found Lord John immensely entertaining in a Colin Firth sort of way).

This episode nicknamed Trading Castles--while nothing stellar with regards to design--was at least interesting because of the personalities involved and the novelty of the locale. Not bad, considering we're talking about a show that's grown stale and has lost its "novelty" appeal some time ago.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

I wasn't impressed with the snooty Englishman.
    He immediately criticised virtually every idea she had and while I generally think she is obviously severly lacking in design talent they way he chose to get his point across was confrontational and obnoxious.
    He didn't like the idea of whitewashing the furnitiure, neither did I.
    He could have said it in a better way than declaring the treatment "garbage".

Although she knows precious little about design she clearly knows more than he does because the room turned out pretty well imo.

Yeah but thats the way to get through her thick skull that there isn't an aggreement of the idea. I just watched a saturday repeat where she did the flower stuff on the bathroom walls. I know am convinced that Hildy is the dumbest carbon life form on this planet!!! Why TS still has her on is the biggest puzzle in the world. The only good thing to come from her is that she shows you what not to do for decorating a home. She needs to go back to france and stick her head back up her butt since she obviously is not in tune with the rest of humanity.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast