+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: While You Were Out

While You Were Out

Is anyone going to watch this new decorating show? Does the world have room for another decorating show?

John

The world has room for another decorating show, just not this one.
    It's the same concept at the Brtish gardening show Ground Force, in that the makeover is a surprise to one half of a couple.
    Ground Force is great, this show is not (imo)
    The host is dreadful, although she is apparently being replaced as she didn't relise so much traveling would be involved, the carpenter has all the charisma of a piece of mdf and the designers don't seem particularly talented either.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I just thought I'd dig up this old thread. I like WYWO now that it's had time to gel. The whole crew seems to work together better now, and replacing that mincingly child-like original host with the refreshingly acerbic Teresa Strasser has improved the show vastly. Plus, I like the concept that it is a surprise gift for a loved one. I would love to do a room for my mom!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

I have watched the show a few times and agree that Teresa is a far better producer than Anna.
    They do too may gardens on this show for my liking though.

I particularly dislike the designer Chayse Dakota.
    I don't think she's done one single room I actually like.
    The little guy, John Bruce isn't much better.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I do watch this programme too, and I agree that Ground Force and Changing Rooms are much better. The only time I really liked the results from WYWO was when this guy had his bedroom painted yellow and turned into a tropical paradise, for his wife. I thought that room looked really awesome! I really liked the painted banana leaves on the fan blades!

eny
    FORT Fogey
    I'm liking this show more as they do more shows. The Anna person drove me to turn the channel, Theresa is much better.There has been about 50/50 rooms I like - hate. Chayse aka Decorator Barbie is my least fav.

FORT Fogey
    I'm so hard at the spectrum of tastes. Let me explain.

The first episode I saw was "New Jersey: Azalea Lane" (bedroom) with host Anna Bocci and Chayse Dacoda. I was so hooked that I thought the show would become an instant fave. On the strength of one episode, I even recommended it.

Of course, I got a negative rating on my recommendation and I was scratching my head. Where did I go wrong? It turns out that, as I would find out, Anna Bocci is rarely the host and Chayse Dacoda is just one of the designers.

I haven't liked an episode since. Oh well, looks like I'm the sole member of the "Anna Bocci for More Airtime Club."

FORT Fogey

While You Were Out We're Changing Your Rooms

I think that these shows turn very quickly from novelty to tedious, just like Britney Spears or the next Spice Girls.

I started watching "Changing Rooms" on BBC America and just couldn't wait for the next episode. Obviously, I no longer feel that way. Designers with hyphenated or made up names and theatrical flourishes are a dime-a-dozen.

Once you look beneath the surface, you become aware how everything is done on the "cheap" due to limited budget and the so-called new look is not going to last more than 6 months.

On the "While You Were Out" that I viewed, they transformed this macho guy's 50's model car collection into a Hobby/Family Room. They actually put Contac paper on the floor to give a sporty 'checkerboard' look. Well now, wait just a dern minute here, there were three kids in this family and how long is that floor going to look good?

I rest my case.

FORT Fogey
    True. On the episode I watched, Chayse ( at "made up names") used about 20 million fasteners to pin velveteen fabric to a bed headboard.

Unless the homeowners are lowered onto their mattress with the world's most delicate crane and refrain from any, um, nocturnal movements, there's just no way those fasteners could hold.

And how does one clean vevelteen?

FORT Fogey
    I saw the Arizona: Gelding Drive episode again last night in which the parents' bedroom is turned into bamboo Hawaiian paradise.

Click here to see.

This is my second favorite non-Anna Bocci episode of the series as it features my favorite designer of WYWO or Trading Spaces (with the exception of Genevieve), the bossy and pseudonym'd Chayse Dacoda.

It also features the funny exchange in which Teresa Strasser, suprised that the daughter Kelsey has never been in trouble, asks her to go out with her that evening.

The only bummer is that the parents weren't that excited about the room. I mean, they were, but they should have been way more excited.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast