+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stripping

Stripping

Has anyone seen stripping and refinishing kitchen cabinets on any of the shows? Iwas thinking of doing that for someone, but never tried it and wouldn't want to get in over my head with someone else's cabinets.

No, I've never seen it.
    It can be a lengthy process and really demands perfection and I just don't think the HO's would have time to do it in the two days.

Depending on the age of the cabinets, they might have to have several attempts at getting the old stain off completely, followed by a lot of sanding.

It's not difficult, just time consuming and the cabinets generally go through a stage of looking much worse before they start to look any better.

It's just so much quicker for them to paint the cabinets.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Eek! I thought it might be similar to doing a table, like I've seen done on some TV show a while back. Strip, clean, stain. I guess it's not as simple as it seemed.

Thanks for the info Fluff. I wanted to do it for my parents and save them some money. They weren't going to change anything, but the cabinets look so dark after I painted the walls about 2 years ago. I found Kilz to be great for stains, but a little hard on the nose.

It's definitely highly doable eldee, it is just more of a time consuming project than I would think they'd have time for on the show.
    I also think a lot of the time people's cabinets might have scratched and nicks that the stain would make more obvious but paint would cover so that it why they go that route.

The smell when stripping stain can be really disgusting too.

Painting is so much easier as you can give the cabinets a wash with TSP, a light sanding, a good coat with a high adhesion primer and you're ready to paint. It's just so much quicker.
    "That's Numberwang!"

And here I was coming into this thread thinking it might be about Carter, Ty, or someone else removing all their clothes...

Thanks Fluff. Do you think if I were to go to the hardware store that I could find those products and be able to choose what I need without a salesman trying to sell me extra-primo stuff?

Do you think if I were to go to the hardware store that I could find those products and be able to choose what I need without a salesman trying to sell me extra-primo stuff?
    I hope you don't mind me jumping in here... Most Hardware stores, Unless you get the owner, the salesmen aren't on commision, so there's really nothing in it for them to "Upsell" you. If you just tell them that you're on a budget and you want the best deal without going overboard they won't usually do you wrong. Your best bet is the local "Mom and Pop" hardware store that's been around for ever... They didn't get there by ripping people off...

But... I will add this. As Fluff said, it's a time consuming project. That being said, the REAL cost of a project like this is YOUR TIME . So with the amount of effort you're going to put into a project like this and the considering it's the kitchen... A high traffic area in most houses... Relatively speaking, the few extra buck you spend on Premium paint and a higher quality brush is definately money well spent.
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

Originally posted by lobeck
    And here I was coming into this thread thinking it might be about Carter, Ty, or someone else removing all their clothes...
    I'm with you lobeck -- I came to see what Paulie and Wayner were up to....

So much for checking threads from the home page ...

Another thing you might consider is just "refronting" the cabinets. This is where you basically just replace the doors and not the cabinet box. It's much cheaper than replacing the entire cabinet.

Yep, that's a good option.
    It is more expensive than refinishing obviously, but as you say, so much cheaper than replacing the whole unit.

New hardware is another cheaper way of updating cabinetry.

If you do go the refinishing route I would be sure to reposition the hardware (if there is any) on each of the cabinets.
    Hardware on a cabinet that opens to the left needs to be placed very close to the bottom right hand corner for exampe to give a more up to date look.
    "That's Numberwang!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast