+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Nate & Jeremiah by Design (TLC)

Nate & Jeremiah by Design (TLC)

Since posters have been commenting about this show in other threads, I thought it deserved its own!

I think many of us have projects around the house that maybe drag on a little too long, but I'm always amazed at how long some of the homeowners on this show live in what look like construction zones. That couple that had no floor and no functional kitchen and washed dishes in their bathroom for YEARS? That young family with the great room that was completely gutted and draped in plastic? Insane.

It would be fun to meet Nate and Jeremiah, but I'm glad my house isn't in enough disrepair to end up on this show!
    Punkin, MFWalkoff and Eastcoastmom like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Re: Nate & Jeremiah by Design (TLC)

I only started watching the show because it came on after the Trading Spaces reboot, but now I'm an addict.

This latest episode was a little more offbeat than the others -- the lady was so trapped in her own reactive DIY head that I was predicting she wouldn't like the result. The bedroom was a little too gray for my tastes but everything else came out beautiful.

My favorite episode so far was the little family's home. Everything was done so thoughtfully to suit their needs, and looked so great, and they were so happy with it...I got emotional, I admit it.

Since I don't watch a lot of H&G shows, and because I've been an apartment-living city boy for so long, I was surprised to see that the budgets were so high, and that N&J were spending the homeowners' money, and not pitching in at all financially. But I guess that just shows that my H&G experience only consists of Trading Spaces and Extreme Makeover: Home Edition.

Did I mention how I get lost in Jeremiah's eyes while he's talking? No? Good, 'cause that doesn't happen.
    Moontat and AZChristian like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

American Idol Deluxe Arielflies's Avatar

Last season they bargained and begged vendors when they were out of funds. So far, this season, that hasn't been the problem that I've noticed.

I'm so enjoying this show - they are lovely, thoughtful people.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

That latest episode was a head-scratcher. I don't think they've ever gone into a project like that with so little idea of the homeowner's taste. She also seemed to love what they did, but had no clue about how awful her own DIY projects were - the swing in her "office" with giant-link steel chain, the industrial track lighting that didn't match, the awful PVC tubing projects. It was a strange episode, IMO. I liked the finished house, but not the nearly blank walls. There was hardly any art at all. Maybe they left that for her to decide on, although that might not be a good idea considering her past decorating attempts.

The homeowners that drive me nuts are the ones who agree to give over control AND stay out of their homes while the work is being done, but then sneak back into the house and start bitching about things. The one from last season with that stupid dog door stands out. YOU HAVE NO KITCHEN. Let the stupid dog door go, lady! My other pet peeve is when they add things to the project without talking to N&J, who react far better than I would!

Idea for a business: A place where wannabe DIYers can go and attack walls with crow bars and hammer on stuff, pretending to actually build furniture and renovate their own homes....and then they go home to houses that are in tact and not destroyed. They can go volunteer with Habitat for Humanity if they want to actually BUILD something!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I love N&J and Poppy! Their style is really amazing.
    Sometimes they get too worried about some of the ideas. I don’t like when they go on too long about one issue or another.
    momrek06 likes this.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

I enjoy the show, but I'm a whole lot more interested in Nate and Jeremiah and Poppy's home life than the remodel of the client's houses. I've loved Nate for years, ever since he first came on Oprah's show, years ago --- and I've loved Jeremiah since he first came on Rachel Zoe's show, also years ago. I was soooooo happy for them when they found each other and fell in love, and now, getting to see snippets of their life with Poppy (who is one of the world's cutest little girls!!!) and their new baby is so much fun!
    Arielflies, momrek06 and woodiedog like this.

I agree with others about loving Nate since Oprah, and remembering Jeremiah from Rachel Zoe’s show. I found it really heartwarming that their son Oskar, was named after Nate’s BF that died in the tsunami. Fernando’s middle name was Oskar. I teared up with that one. And Poppy, just adore her.
    momrek06 and Imperfect1 like this.

PEGGY this past weekend certainly has some deep rooted issues.

Her house was (to me) a MESS. Of course, if I were her friend I would NOT tell her that BUT like her friend on the show I would TOTALLY support her in getting that house IN ORDER.

Being Burbank, I bet she paid in excess of $800,000 for that basically 600 sq foot home IF it was even THAT big. And I was impressed with her savings of $60,000 for the RENO.

But all that DIY was just NOT working at all. That BARN DOOR to cover her medicine chest was horrid. Large, ugly and did not work. All that PVC piping stuff.....naaaaa.

Also it did not help that she had NO 'rhyme or reason' as far as 'order' in the house, it was soooooo DISHEVELED.

I loved everything N&J did to her home!!! They SAVED the day!!!
    KAREN

I liked that they paid homage to her emotional attachment to the swing in two ways...a smaller, more appropriate swing chair (in pvc) for the office and her swing on the enclosed porch where it belonged.
    momrek06 and Moontat like this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Questions about the shelter grand room...why didn't they take down the acoustic tiles before gluing the wood planks over them; and why didn't they rip out the carpet before laying the wood floor? Also did you notice Nate placed all the books on the shelves with the spines facing inward? Is this for uniformity of color or some weird tick?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast