+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Nate & Jeremiah by Design (TLC)

FORT Fanatic

Re: Nate & Jeremiah by Design (TLC)

The book thing was odd. My only thought when I saw it was that maybe there were copyright issues or for some reason didnít want the titles made public because some people would get in a tizzy over the subject matter and it would have deflected from the positivity of the episode.

I think the space is a lovely hang out space. I donít think that it meets all the uses it did before. Theyíll have to sort through donations elsewhere and the cabinets in the lower bookcases really wonít hold that much.

My guess on the flooring is that the industrial carpeting was thin enough to be used as a barrier between the concert slab and the flooring. If they removed it they would have needed to spend money on a new pad for the flooring
    Arielflies and Moontat like this.

American Idol Deluxe Arielflies's Avatar

All good explanations. Yes, on the book thing. Nate said most were of the self-help variety - what they already had on hand.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

The book thing was incredibly odd and I'm surprised that they didn't explain it! It's not as if they couldn't have had the cameras far enough away from easy viewing of the book titles. How would you like to go to a library or book store with books placed thus wise? I'm sure there is an explanation, but they should have given it. It was so odd!
    Kao, beerbelly and Arielflies like this.
    Lynda

I'm pretty sure the thing with the books was just so it would keep with the color scheme of the room - all white/cream pages vs book spines of lots of different colors. I've seen the same thing done in design magazines like Architectural Digest and CA Home and Design.
    Punkin likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I'm pretty sure the thing with the books was just so it would keep with the color scheme of the room - all white/cream pages vs book spines of lots of different colors. I've seen the same thing done in design magazines like Architectural Digest and CA Home and Design.
    If true this is just too precious for me. The room was lovely, but too much form over function. Last week they put a couch behind a desk and then a chair between the couch and desk. You couldnít use the couch with the desk and the desk would block the TV from the couch. To even sit on the couch youíd have to move the chair.

I donít think I would get along with these designers. I like my couch accessible and I like to watch TV from the couch. I want to be able to look on my bookcase and read the titles on the spine. I donít want to have to remove a bunch of books to see the titles. In my world books are not Knick knacs.
    Imperfect1 likes this.

I recently saw the book thing on another design show also. I wondered at that time why they did that. Canít remember what show it was. Maybe it was a new Trading Spaces, Nate and Jeremiah, or another design show?

Kao

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I've seen this trend too (along with color-coding the spines) and I hate it. I have a ton of books, and I like to be able to see book titles.
    beerbelly and Imperfect1 like this.

Me too! This annoyed me. I get aesthetics (sort of) but I would be immediately turning those books around!!!

I also straighten up magazines at doctor offices so, I like things a certain way.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12