+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Top Chef Junior (Universal Kids channel)

Top Chef Junior (Universal Kids channel)

Top Chef Jr. Is About to Blow Your Mind With Adorable, Young Talent... With Mad Knife Skills

Get the skinny on the new series, which premieres in October on Universal Kids.

by Tamara Palmer
    September 19, 2017 • 2:58 PM ET

Top Chef has inspired people of all ages to get in the kitchen and cook, and now a young generation has a chance to cook gracefully and creatively under pressure in Top Chef Jr., the new series that devoted fans have long dreamed of seeing.

And sure, they're young — but the cheftestants are even better than viewers might imagine. Hosted by Curtis Stone (who has also hostedTop Chef Masters and Top Chef Duels) and Vanessa Lachey and featuring appearances from familiar Top Chef faces like Gail Simmons, Richard Blais and Michael Voltaggio, the 12 Top Chef Jr. finalists were chosen out of 217 applicants (ages nine through 14) and 50 in-home auditions.

The finalists began the competition with an educational bootcamp session, where they sharpened up their skills in the kitchen and tried cooking a test challenge. Take a glimpse of the process below, with Making it to Top Chef Jr.: Episode 1, and wait until you see those knife skills!

Top Chef Jr. premieres on October 13 on Universal Kids.
    Universal Kids is the new name of the cable channel formerly known as PBS Kids / Sprout.

Top Chef Jr: Season 1 Promo | Universal Kids - YouTube
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Re: Top Chef Junior (Universal Kids channel)

Anyone catch the premiere Friday night? I wish the show was on Bravo so it would be easier to find...

It's definitely Top Chef -- they haven't changed the formula a bit for the kids. In fact, I was surprised that they only gave the kids an hour and 15 minutes to shop and cook for the elimination challenge. By the looks of the first episode, there's going to be more crying here than on Chopped Junior or MasterChef Junior. The really strange part is watching Gail, Curtis and Blais be so comforting and sympathetic to the kid chefs when they present bad or incomplete plates. They practically act like surrogate parents to them.

I have a feeling we're going to see this week's top 4 chefs in a lot of other top 4's. They just have more technique and training under their belts than most of the others. And I don't know about this "Top Chef Jars" business which holds random saves for 4 eliminated chefs. That was just cheap and cheesy. They should have put a save in the first jar just to show the kids that it's possible.

Here's an interview article that came out on Thursday before the premiere:
    'Top Chef Jr.' Team Talk Preteen Prodigy Contestants and Helping Relaunch a Network | Hollywood Reporter

It says the show has already been renewed for a second season. Universal Kids is rerunning the episode several times throughout the week.
    Last edited by MFWalkoff; 10-15-2017 at 05:41 PM.
    sunshine3331 likes this.
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

I don't have the subscription strength to go into the 200+ stations, but I do think it will play at the website. It is also available on You Tube.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

The website doesn't work as a host for a full episode, but I found the you tube channel Universal Kids/Top Chef Jr and was able to watch that amazing first episode.
    MFWalkoff likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I don't have the subscription strength to go into the 200+ stations, but I do think it will play at the website. It is also available on You Tube.
    I know what you mean -- it's Channel 255 on my system (which goes up to 2000), but luckily I'm a whiz at programming the Favorite Channels button.
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

It was great! Totally like the “real” Top Chef, except for more crying.

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    I know what you mean -- it's Channel 255 on my system (which goes up to 2000), but luckily I'm a whiz at programming the Favorite Channels button.
    I have the low price (HA!) package that goes only to Channel 95. So everything above that is off my radar.

Thanks for posting upthread, too, that full episodes are available on youtube.

I just noticed on my program grid that Bravo is airing Top Chef Jr. episodes on Thursdays at 7PM ET (so the premiere from last Friday is airing right now on Bravo). They show a classic Top Chef episode before it at 6PM.
    Arielflies likes this.
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Thank you for this information! I've set it to record this and next week. For some reason it won't set up a series recording so I'll have to remember to catch it every week.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast