+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: First Dates - NBC

Re: First Dates - NBC

I kind of liked the Attorney and the Pageant girl. They kind of deserved each other. I liked the look on his face when she actually knew more than he did. I kind of thought "well here's your first lady" and here's your 'meal ticket'. LOL

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie5632 View Post
    The beauty queen and the politician drove me insane! He was obviously interviewing for a first lady and she was obviously practicing her pageant answers and making notes of the answers he gave that she'd give in her next pageant. And I swear if she said "Because I'm pretty" one more time I was going to throw something. I found it depressing that they were both so focused on appearances of the (potential) relationship and what they could get out of it for "professional" gain. Call me crazy, but I think your life partner should be the one who makes you smile and laugh and holds you when you cry, the one who knows what do to when you're at your worst, not the one who gives the best sound bites.
    I couldn't help myself ... they reminded me of Ivanka and Jared in appearance and the sense of how their alliance would pay off professionally and financially.
    aramcobrat and jeanne like this.

I was pretty disappointed in the beautiful girl this week, who spoke of losing her father and was hoping to find someone as good - then said, no BETTER, than her father. She brought up the church and how it is important to her, how she's taking care of her mom (so sweet). But at the end of her date, she says this nice guy didn't appeal to her because she goes for bad boys. Their date seemed to go pretty well, and I could have understood more if she didn't like him for some other reason, but they had just quoted her saying she wanted someone wonderful like her father then she completely contradicts herself. She is gorgeous, but obviously confused about what she wants.

Maybe it is the "bad boy" term that bothers me more; she may have used that term meaning something else than the way I interpret it.

Because if she really wants someone who treats her poorly, is rude, disrespectful and unreliable, then she has bigger problems that would probably make her daddy roll over in his grave!

Then I was also disappointed in the older woman, who was sweet and beautiful too, yet agreed to see the player again, when their dinner didn't seem to even go very well. He seemed creepy, and she seemed to think so too, but then gave him a chance. And, they're still dating!! That shocked me. I hope she is truly happy with him, and not just settling for less because there are slim pickings out there for her age group.
    Imperfect1 and AlwaysVeg like this.

OMG, was anyone else just dying over the elderly couple and his hearing problem? It was just like sitting with my parents! She was darling and so sweet about it, but I couldn't stop laughing as he kept either not hearing her OR mishearing her. I was pleasantly surprised by the follow-up. Not only are they dating, but he gave up his player ways. It did seem like he had carried a torch for her for a while when he was talking about how he would go places he knew she'd be or just feel happier when she showed up to events. It was sweet. Funny, BTW that the night after this episode aired SNL did the Amazon Echo Silver commercial - for seniors who can't hear and can't remember the name of the device

I don't know what was wrong with the White Sox guy that his date wasn't into him. How much more perfect could he be? Cute, funny, smart, athletic (which she said she likes). Was it a thumbs down because he was NICE? I thought the producers picked a great guy for her that would be a nice alternative to the players she's been dating. He was also an athlete, but a nice guy who wouldn't cheat on or dump her. She even said he's the type of guy she should probably be dating. Some people just can't get out of their own way. With some of these singles, you definitely start to see why they're single.

The guy with the dating jenga game and the guitar? UGH. Dude, dial it down a bit and (she was SO right) loosen up a little! Buy a t-shirt an a pair of jeans.....and don't iron them! He was handsome and seemed to have a lot going for him, but he was just TOO MUCH. Nothing a dating coach couldn't help him with. It was so painful to watch him because he was obviously really sweet, but he was far too intense and buttoned up.

I keep waiting for exes to be set up on this show!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fanatic

I agree that I don't get why the African American woman didn't want a second date with the guy who was attractive, pleasant, etc. She said she wanted a "bad boy" and one of the restaurant staff said -- doesn't everyone? Well, no -- I didn't want a "bad boy" -- when I was single, I wanted one with various positive qualities...

I didn't think it was bad that the one guy was so dressed-up and "formal" -- there are plenty of guys who just want to sit around in jeans all day -- nice to have one who likes to get dressed up, for a change of pace. When he said he likes his suits "bespoke" it sounded vaguely familiar, but I had to look it up to see that it is a custom-made suit. I can just imagine how expensive those must be.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynne View Post
    I agree that I don't get why the African American woman didn't want a second date with the guy who was attractive, pleasant, etc. She said she wanted a "bad boy" and one of the restaurant staff said -- doesn't everyone? Well, no -- I didn't want a "bad boy" -- when I was single, I wanted one with various positive qualities...

I didn't think it was bad that the one guy was so dressed-up and "formal" -- there are plenty of guys who just want to sit around in jeans all day -- nice to have one who likes to get dressed up, for a change of pace. When he said he likes his suits "bespoke" it sounded vaguely familiar, but I had to look it up to see that it is a custom-made suit. I can just imagine how expensive those must be.
    I just felt like he was trying too hard and was TOO buttoned up. I mean, yes, bring your date flowers. That's nice. BUT. It was the flowers/plant and then the game and then he whips out the guitar and plays the song he wrote about the flowers. AND he was wearing the bespoke suit. It was too much. When someone is that intense and formal, it feels like an act and you can't really get to know who they are. I don't think it was about him wearing less dressy clothes, although that would be nice, it was about him loosening up and getting real. Even the game to help them get to know each other was structured. There have been (I think) other men on this show who wore suits and I didn't think they seemed terribly rigid and buttoned up. It was about his personality AND the suit. It was just too over-the-top, at least for his date.

I didn't think he was a bad guy or anything. I thought he seemed sweet and was obviously good looking. Maybe they can give him a little coaching and bring him back for a second chance
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

FORT Fanatic

Oh yeah, I almost forgot about the edelweiss. I was surprised one of them didn't bring up the edelweiss song from "The Sound of Music."

He did seem a bit over the top, but that's probably what the show wants to make things more interesting.

Most of the time I think they do an okay job of matching up couples, but why would you pair a guy whose big dream is to get married and have kids with a woman who says she doesn't want children? That seems like it would be a deal breaker, so I was surprised that they decided to go on a second date. Maybe his openness and optimism will affect her outlook and she'll change her mind about kids

The gay couple was a mismatch too. Admittedly, the "reading" the medium was trying to do was a total miss, but he did have a point that there were a lot of people in that restaurant. I wondered if one of the other diners watched the episode and realized the spirit coming through was their loved one! Regardless of whether or not the date believed in that stuff, it was pretty rude of him to a) get drunk and then b) call out his abilities (or whatever you call it) and make fun of him. NOT surprised that there wasn't a second date.

I really felt for the guy who told his date he felt like a fraud being out on a date with her. Clearly the word "fraud" had more meaning for her than maybe he intended - you could see it from her reaction. I was glad to see the follow up where he did end up meeting someone. He seemed sweet, but still maybe not ready to date. It definitely felt like he was still REALLY dealing with his divorce.

The player looking guy reminded me of Steve Burton from General Hospital (now Y&R, I think). He's one who definitely needs a makeover. You can look put together and stylish without the unbuttoned shirt and gold chain. Women think he's a player because he dresses like one. Maybe some of what he said was sarcasm, but I've always had a "no sarcasm" policy for the first few dates. At least give the person the time to get to know you and your sense of humor so they understand when you're being sarcastic. For me, lots of sarcasm on the first date is a big turn off.

Next week is the finale. I hope we get more updates on the couples! IIRC, someone tonight mentioned that it was summer, so if they filmed it that long ago, they definitely had time to follow-up with everyone. I'm curious if ANY of the dates actually led to a relationship.
    Lynne and AlwaysVeg like this.

Did Doug, the guy who was married for 21 years, say he was married to Bill Gates sister.

I thought Doug's date was fascinating. I would have asked about her travels and living abroad.

Quote Originally Posted by woodiedog View Post
    Did Doug, the guy who was married for 21 years, say he was married to Bill Gates sister.

I thought Doug's date was fascinating. I would have asked about her travels and living abroad.
    WHAT! Doug was married to Bill Gate's sister? Libby or Christi? If he was married to Libby, I have met him!
    woodiedog likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast