+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: First Dates - NBC

Re: First Dates - NBC

It surprised me on tonight's episode when the plumber and the blonde girl didn't hit it off: it seemed like they had so many things clicking, and she was just what he ordered! hahaha! Then she seemed put off by him a few times (when he said he had to pee), and turns out she wasn't interested in another date.

The radio host did SO many shots of tequila, it made my stomach queasy. And she was so hard on that guy, who seemed very nice. I'm glad he didn't give her a chance at another date.

Then the short man's date really surprised me! I didn't think she was going to be interested, because of the way she reacted to the waitress when he was in the bathroom and the expression on her face, but I think he brought her around. Good for him for being confident and persistent, because they were seen kissing in the car afterwards! I give her credit too, for being open to dating him; not sure I could do it, sorry to say.

Taryn and our future president (?) were okay I guess. They made a second date, but I just didn't find either of them intriguing or charming enough to care.

I always like the follow-up at the end of the show, letting us know what happened since! Turns out the fashion designer girl didn't give the short man a chance after all - - taking back the credit!
    Imperfect1 likes this.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Caught up with Friday's episode last night. I think the plumber and blonde date were just at different points in their life. He really wanted to settle down.
    Yes, the radio host drank way too much and was quite judgmental, but 4 kids, 2 baby mamas, and 0 marriages would turn me off too. Corey/ Colby did seem nice, however.

Sorry, but I'm not sure the average person would want to date a little person. I thought that was wrong for the producers to do that. It's not just a matter of stature, but there are myriad health problems that come with being a dwarf. He seemed lovely, but I don't think it was a fair match up.

I didn't know if he was a bona fide little person or if he was just short!

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by provenceguy View Post
    I didn't know if he was a bona fide little person or if he was just short!
    Really? I'd just assumed he was a little person. He said he was 4 feet 4 inches, I think. I don't know much about dwarfism but he didn't seem to be the type of dwarf who are on TLC's show Little People, Big World. I think they have the type called Achondroplasia.

Okay, just looked up dwarfism on Web MD and it's classified as such:

Dwarfism is a condition of short stature. It is defined by the advocacy group Little People of America (LPA) as an adult height of 4 feet 10 inches or under, as a result of a medical or genetic condition. Although other groups may extend the criteria for certain forms of dwarfism to 5 feet, the average height of an adult with dwarfism is 4 feet.
    So yes, I'd think this fellow would be considered a dwarf or little person. However, I think his is the proportionate dwarfism type. Whatever the case may be, he seemed like a rather nice guy. Wish him the best.
    jeanne likes this.

There are lots of different types of dwarfism. I assumed he was a dwarf. Didn't he say he was an LP? In spite of the fact that his date said she's open minded about appearance, I think they tested her limits. I feel like she agreed to the second date because she thought she'd look shallow if she turned him down on camera. That was the first time I felt like the producers were being manipulative.

The Barbie and Ken wannabes were tedious. They both certainly thought very highly of themselves. He reminded me of the typical idiot politician - all looks and no substance. In that way he's perfectly suited to that job!

Of the five episodes, I thought this one was the least interesting.

Since the voiceover says that all of the couples in the restaurant are on blind dates, I wonder if they'll all be featured on the show at some point....or maybe they're just picking the most interesting couples. I'll admit that I haven't paid much attention to the couples in the background. Maybe some of them would be familiar from other episodes OR, they just have background actors sitting and pretending to have dinner so it doesn't look like the couples are eating in an empty restaurant
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fanatic

I felt bad for the plumber guy as he was confident his date would want to go out with him again, but she didn't. The camera stayed on his face so long after she got up and walked off, as he registered his hurt, surprise and disappointment. He did seem to be quite a bit older than she, but maybe it was because he was looking to get married and have kids in the not-too-distant future whereas for her that was years away.

I think it might be challenging to find a woman of normal height who would be willing to date a Little Person. I remember about 20 years ago they had a segment on 20/20 or a similar show that had woman viewing a man from behind a one-way mirror. They said he had all these wonderful qualities -- he was a doctor, great cook, loved children, kind and caring, etc. They were all interested. Then they said he was 5'5 (I think that was the height, give or take an inch), and after that *none* of them were interested. They added on even more wonderful qualities and/or different women, etc. but kept showing that women weren't interested due to his height. I remember thinking it was very "slanted" because I could think of many short guys who had an active dating life and/or had been happily married for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynne View Post
    I felt bad for the plumber guy as he was confident his date would want to go out with him again, but she didn't. The camera stayed on his face so long after she got up and walked off, as he registered his hurt, surprise and disappointment. He did seem to be quite a bit older than she, but maybe it was because he was looking to get married and have kids in the not-too-distant future whereas for her that was years away.
    I think you're right, but it did feel like she made that decision REALLY fast. It seemed like the date was going well, so I was surprised that she texted the thumbs down to her friend so quickly. I really felt for him because he was clearly blindsided. She didn't really give him a hint that she wasn't feeling it. Maybe they'll bring him back like they did that one guy I'm sure there are many women who'd be happy to date him.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

The beauty queen and the politician drove me insane! He was obviously interviewing for a first lady and she was obviously practicing her pageant answers and making notes of the answers he gave that she'd give in her next pageant. And I swear if she said "Because I'm pretty" one more time I was going to throw something. I found it depressing that they were both so focused on appearances of the (potential) relationship and what they could get out of it for "professional" gain. Call me crazy, but I think your life partner should be the one who makes you smile and laugh and holds you when you cry, the one who knows what do to when you're at your worst, not the one who gives the best sound bites.
    AlwaysVeg likes this.
    Wag more, bark less

I would love to know which of these couples, if any, are still dating.
    It was filmed so long ago that probably none of them are together, given attrition over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie5632 View Post
    The beauty queen and the politician drove me insane! He was obviously interviewing for a first lady and she was obviously practicing her pageant answers and making notes of the answers he gave that she'd give in her next pageant. And I swear if she said "Because I'm pretty" one more time I was going to throw something. I found it depressing that they were both so focused on appearances of the (potential) relationship and what they could get out of it for "professional" gain. Call me crazy, but I think your life partner should be the one who makes you smile and laugh and holds you when you cry, the one who knows what do to when you're at your worst, not the one who gives the best sound bites.
    They both had a high opinion of themselves, didn't they? Especially for not being all that impressive. I mean, she's not unattractive, but I didn't find her beauty queen gorgeous. I thought the blonde who had the date with the plumber was better looking. I thought the wannabe politician was an idiot. I guess they're perfect for each other and perfect as a political couple. Both overly impressed with themselves and out of touch with reality. I could picture him at a political town hall, answering questions and being completely tone deaf

I hope this week's couples are better! The last episode wasn't as good as the previous ones.
    Jamie5632 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast