+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: First Dates - NBC

Re: First Dates - NBC

The older couple with the woman with the hat did not seem to communicate well at all. Both kept making statements, not really having a conversation. He said something about youth today, then she'd make a statement about youth today, then he'd say everything's different now....etc., etc. I could tell they weren't going to have another date, because they never really got beyond the "talking at each other" mode. He'd been married three times, if I remember correctly, so I wondered about him anyway, but she really killed the date in so many ways, there was no hope!

^^^ Of all the cringe-worthy dates, she was the worst. SO negative. I couldn't believe how negative she was! She complained or criticized everything. She had something bad to say no matter what the topic. The outfit was terrible too. More suitable for brunch with friends (if you absolutely have to wear that hat and glasses, which you really shouldn't). Not every woman of that age is built like sexy Launa, but you can still dress nicely in something flattering that's more appropriate for an evening dinner date. I wonder if she watched the episode and is self-aware enough to realize how she blew it. Sometimes we don't realize what we're presenting to the world because no one else hears our inner dialogue. I think her date was a nice guy and that the conversation could have gone differently, but she didn't give him much to work with!

I agree that you want to be honest about who you are, but there's something to be said for putting your best foot forward. You don't have to unload ALL of your baggage and negative opinions on the first date. If you do, they probably won't stick around for date #2.

I really felt for that beautiful, slender girl with the dark hair whose date got increasingly drunk as the date went on. I REALLY hope he watched himself and made some changes. That wasn't even funny; it was just embarrassing.....and not in an amusing way. It was pathetic because he clearly had NO idea how drunk he was (as evidenced by the fact that he thought there was even a remote chance that she'd want a second date). That she had to pay for dinner after he "lost" his credit card was just the cherry on the cake of a TERRIBLE date.

BTW, I agree with Woody (? bearded guy who got a second chance at a date) that $200 is A LOT for dinner! You can have a nice dinner for half that amount for sure, at least in my city and in many others I've been to. Heck, I've had several VERY nice dinners in NYC and SF that were maybe $120 for two people WITH drinks. That his first date didn't think that was a high price tag was the first clue that they probably weren't a good match.....and that she needs a reality check.

In spite of the dating duds, I find the show quite charming. I love the moments when you can feel a real connection being made!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    navybelle, the older, lovely woman from Friday's episode (Launa I think her name was) DID agree to see him again when questioned. However, if you read the little blurbs at the end of each episode, they give a little update. In her case although she had said in the restaurant she would agree to a 2nd date, she ultimately declined a 2nd date with "Fast Eddie." Quotes were the shows.

On the off chance that I will have rotten tomatoes thrown my virtual way I must confess that I am not a cat lover. I've just never warmed up to them. The way that gal went on and on about it was weird, imo. I've never had a horrible experience as some folks have had with dogs but I did watch my husband's uncle's adult cat for a month while he recuperated from surgery. My sons were little and enjoyed having the cat around. I just could not warm up to the fact that a cat, unlike a dog, can jump wherever it wants. He would be jumping on top of my wall unit, on top of the kitchen counters, etc. I wasn't sad to return him but my boys sure were. We eventually got a dog.

So, I think the gal was within her rights to confess to not being a cat person but she went on about it way too much and seemed silly.
    LOL I feel the same way about cats. They are here and there and I can't control them. They are very independent and those that love them really love them.

Funny think is whenever I do visit my 'cat' friends the little buggers always find my lap the place they chose to sit.

I always tell my friends.."get the camera and be ready".

When Brandon comes home from work tonight I think I'm going to have to give him the longest hug he's ever had. This show makes me truly appreciate what I have. I forgot what it was like to awkward date. YIKES---!!!!!

The individuals / couples that gave me the creeps:

1. Creepy older kissy guy who doesn't understand the meaning of personal space, and who didn't believe in asking questions to get to know his date.
    2. Drunk guy who 'lost' his credit card. I felt so sorry for his date.
    3. The couple who were curious what human flesh taste like.
    4. Salmon lady who walked out before her dinner arrived. Her date was icky-poo as well.
    5. Hat lady who complained about everything and rolled her eyes too much.
    6. The woman who said her hair accessories cost more than the $200 dinner bill.
    7. The guy who asked the waitress for her phone number right in front of his date.

(I'm sure I'm forgetting someone).

The individuals / couples that I liked:

1. The 'odd duck' older guy who let his hair grow long after his wife had passed away from cancer and his date who had also lost her spouse. They were adorable.
    2. The gay couple.
    3. The lesbian couple.
    4. The guy with the prosthetic leg. He and his date didn't totally hit it off, but I thought they had potential.
    5. The Asian couple whose roommate turned out being someone his date went to school with.
    6. The couple where the guy played the mouth trumpet.
    7. The nerd couple. I thought they were cute together.
    8. The funny big, burly teddy bear club promoter guy and his date. They seemed to hit it off.
    2016 Yearbook Title: Only FORT Member Known To Have Gotten An Air Traffic Controller Back On Track.

OK just for the record...I think the show is 'scripted' for tv. I think they have a script, make up and hair and of course a 'dresser' that decides just what each one wears.

Also no way are they paying for these meals. The restaurant and the meals are part of the program.

It's an interesting show that Ellen has come up with. I give her kiddo's on producing something we enjoy watching.

Reality...no way. It's a show to entertain us. I really like it.
    AlwaysVeg likes this.

This show has been on for 8 seasons in the UK. Same graphics and everything...
    jeanne likes this.

JAC
    FORT Newbie

There is a Canadian version as well, it is also good.
    Nicksmom and jeanne like this.

FORT Fanatic

Joseph D -- I love your phrase "salmon lady."

I don't think the show is scripted. Why bother coming up with a script (and paying people to do so), and then have people memorize their lines when you could easily get similar conversations for free? I've been on enough blind dates myself, and had a lot of friends who have been on same, to know that there can be some very interesting conversations on one's first date. There might be more dates and more conversations that they tape, but never show, probably just selecting the most interesting dates/conversations for the actual episodes.
    JosephD likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynne View Post
    Joseph D -- I love your phrase "salmon lady."

I don't think the show is scripted. Why bother coming up with a script (and paying people to do so), and then have people memorize their lines when you could easily get similar conversations for free? I've been on enough blind dates myself, and had a lot of friends who have been on same, to know that there can be some very interesting conversations on one's first date. There might be more dates and more conversations that they tape, but never show, probably just selecting the most interesting dates/conversations for the actual episodes.
    Maybe your right. I spent just a minute or two googling and found this.

First Dates star from Liverpool reveals what really happens on the Channel 4 show - Liverpool Echo

Do the producers try to steer the conversation, or are you left to your own devices?

When you’re on the date you can’t see any cameras so it is like a real date and you can take as much time as you want. There was just one point when we were asked to talk about something again because I’d been fiddling with my microphone and they hadn’t picked up what I’d said. But apart from that none of the crew interfered.
    aramcobrat and AlwaysVeg like this.

FORT Fogey

I had just watched it for the first time last week and never heard of it before. I found it enjoyable and would watch it again. If it's not at all scripted, that's even better. Also enjoyed Drew Barrymore's voice and narration. Interesting idea for a show. It's fun to see everybody's little quirks, what they talk about, and how they felt about the date and potential in the interview.
    Eastcoastmom likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast