+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Love Connection - hosted by Andy Cohen (on Fox)

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Re: Love Connection - hosted by Andy Cohen (on Fox)

First, I think that Andy is HILARIOUS and so enjoyable as a host! His comments and expressions are priceless!!! And for me, he makes the show so much fun, even (and especially) when the couples' dates aren't good ones.

I also wanted to comment on the 'first impression' rating. That was a part of the original Love Connection show of the 1970s, and like almost all of the other recent bringing back of the 1970's game shows, they are following the original formats, almost exactly. Even, sometimes, down to the same script! So, it's true that the 'first impression' rating is not politically correct anymore (and it's pretty insensitive too), so it will be interesting, as time goes on, to see whether the producers decide to keep that feature in, or change it to something else.

And as far as the couples go, I kinda like that they have a mix of different types of people. It makes it much more interesting.

So, good for them. I hope the show stays on the air, cause it's definitely a fun hour for me!

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
    First, I think that Andy is HILARIOUS and so enjoyable as a host! His comments and expressions are priceless!!! And for me, he makes the show so much fun, even (and especially) when the couples' dates aren't good ones.

I also wanted to comment on the 'first impression' rating. That was a part of the original Love Connection show of the 1970s, and like almost all of the other recent bringing back of the 1970's game shows, they are following the original formats, almost exactly. Even, sometimes, down to the same script! So, it's true that the 'first impression' rating is not politically correct anymore (and it's pretty insensitive too), so it will be interesting, as time goes on, to see whether the producers decide to keep that feature in, or change it to something else.

And as far as the couples go, I kinda like that they have a mix of different types of people. It makes it much more interesting.

So, good for them. I hope the show stays on the air, cause it's definitely a fun hour for me!
    They did ask of about there first impression of their date on the old one but I do not remember them doing it by number. That I don't like.

I like how they updated us on the dates though and do mind the videos they do on the dates. It shows how they really feel...lol

Andy does make the show , just like Chuck did.

FORT Fanatic

Maybe they added a number rating system to the original "Love Connection" later on but I clearly remember watching many episodes in 1985 and 1986 and there was no number rating system -- just Chuck asking them about their first impressions of the other person. I don't like the current number system...
    AlwaysVeg likes this.

FORT Fanatic

Not sure how you edit posts. I meant to say I don't mind the videos of them saying there first impressions .

I don't know if i could give up $10,000. over someone I just met. That one girl didn't even show up for the second date and she had the choice of money or him.

These are good looking people I always wonder how they can not find dates on there own.....
    Imperfect1 likes this.

FORT Fogey

Regarding the number rating system based solely on looks, I definitely don't remember that from the old show. Maybe they could reword it so they're asking how each person would be rated at the beginning of the date in terms of a more overall impression ... looks, conversation, attitude, courteousness, etc., and then compare it to how they felt about the person by the end of the date. That would be interesting, I think, to see whether the rating goes up or down and by how much.
    KTinCT and Eastcoastmom like this.

FORT Fanatic

So the woman ended up selecting the guy she had basically walked out on (due to his talking so much and not asking her any questions), just so she could get the $10,000. Not surprising, I guess.

I still think that there is a way the show avoids paying the $10,000 if/when they find the person has seen the one they turned down for the money -- if they see on-line photos for example. Who knows though -- maybe Andy will address it some day.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    Regarding the number rating system based solely on looks, I definitely don't remember that from the old show. Maybe they could reword it so they're asking how each person would be rated at the beginning of the date in terms of a more overall impression ... looks, conversation, attitude, courteousness, etc., and then compare it to how they felt about the person by the end of the date. That would be interesting, I think, to see whether the rating goes up or down and by how much.
    I totally agree with your proposition, but I don't believe those audience ratings are real. Production knows the contestants' ratings and this is the only spot in the game that can be manipulated. Total skeptic here, but fun all the same.
    In the beginning was the WORD. Without definition there was nothing. We define the words.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by KTinCT View Post
    I totally agree with your proposition, but I don't believe those audience ratings are real. Production knows the contestants' ratings and this is the only spot in the game that can be manipulated. Total skeptic here, but fun all the same.
    Not sure we're referring to the same thing. I meant that each person on the date would rate the other at the beginning and then again at the end of the date ... not that the audience would rate them... because it would be interesting to see if their ratings of each other change over the course of the date.

FORT Fanatic

I was disappointed to see that this week's show was a repeat. This upcoming Thurs. should be a new show though.

They are definitely not trying to be exactly like the original show, since there are quite a few differences between the two. For one thing, they used to list if each of the people was single, never married, divorced (and the number of times) or widowed. Also, in the original, they would only go out with one person to start with, not all three. Those are just a couple of the differences...

I read that the show is going to include people of various ages (which we haven't seen so far) and gay couples as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    Not sure we're referring to the same thing. I meant that each person on the date would rate the other at the beginning and then again at the end of the date ... not that the audience would rate them... because it would be interesting to see if their ratings of each other change over the course of the date.
    You're right, Veg, I didn't make myself clear. You're referring to the first opinion ratings, which certainly can cause drama and fun. I'm referring to who the audience selects for the overnight date. That can be manipulated and is the type of shade that makes me suspicious of almost all game shows.
    In the beginning was the WORD. Without definition there was nothing. We define the words.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast