+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Kennedy Center Honors on CBS

MFWalkoff, Debb70 and Eastcoastmom like this.
    KAREN

Re: Kennedy Center Honors on CBS

This usually turns out to be one of the best TV events of the year, it's fitting that they show it right at the end.

There are some tribute performances from past years that I watch again and again on YouTube. (See Barbara Cook's musical tribute from 2011.) Last year, Aretha Franklin's performance of Carole King's music went totally viral.

Looks like this year's show will be music-heavy. I'm actually looking forward to the Mavis Staples tribute the most -- I'm anticipating some soaring choral arrangements popping up toward the end.
    momrek06, Debb70 and Eastcoastmom like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

I teared up just seeing some clips of this show. So many of these honorees are at the top of my LOVE list. The loss of Glenn Frey.......it will be very touching. Plus, I adore Al Pacino. AND JAMES TAYLOR! OMG. I can hardly wait.
    momrek06 and Eastcoastmom like this.

Can't wait! I'm a huge Eagles fan.
    Punkin, momrek06, tapper01 and 1 others like this.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

I get emotional just thinking about an Eagles song. I suppose this show will be my memorial service for Glenn. His death has really hit me hard.
    momrek06 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I get emotional just thinking about an Eagles song. I suppose this show will be my memorial service for Glenn. His death has really hit me hard.
    Deb the Eagles were my 1st real teenage band. My big brother introduced me to their music the Christmas college break of 1972 when he destroyed my Donny Osmond cassette. Once I heard Witchy Woman it was byebye Donny HELLOOOO Don Henley. I've been following them since. The last time I saw them was in July 2015. It was honestly some of the best money I spent. Glenn Frey died on my birthday.
    Debb70 likes this.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    Deb the Eagles were my 1st real teenage band. My big brother introduced me to their music the Christmas college break of 1972 when he destroyed my Donny Osmond cassette. Once I heard Witchy Woman it was byebye Donny HELLOOOO Don Henley. I've been following them since. The last time I saw them was in July 2015. It was honestly some of the best money I spent. Glenn Frey died on my birthday.
    '
    OMG. That is unreal. I'm sorry he died on your birthday, though. I saw them in the Hell Freezes Over tour in 1994! Man, I'm glad I attended. I loved them from the early days, too, but, I also held on to my Osmonds. lol

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Tonight's the night! Looking forward to the tributes to the Eagles and James Taylor.

What did you all think? I have some thoughts about it. I must say, it was different. I'm not sure if this was due to new producers or what. It just was not like previous shows, imo.

I was so proud of James Taylor. While James was not born in NC, he grew up here and he considers it like home, thus the song, Carolina In My Mind. This song is probably the most famous song in NC.

In 1951, when he was three, his family moved to what was then the countryside of Chapel Hill, North Carolina,[9] when Isaac took a job as an assistant professor of medicine at the University of North Carolina School of Medicine.[10] They built a house in the Morgan Creek area off the present Morgan Creek Road, which was sparsely populated.[11] James would later say, "Chapel Hill, the Piedmont, the outlying hills, were tranquil, rural, beautiful, but quiet. Thinking of the red soil, the seasons, the way things smelled down there, I feel as though my experience of coming of age there was more a matter of landscape and climate than people."[11] James attended public primary school in Chapel Hill.[5] Isaac's career prospered, but he was frequently away from home, on military service at Bethesda Naval Hospital in Maryland, or as part of Operation Deep Freeze in Antarctica in 1955 and 1956.[12] Isaac Taylor later rose to become dean of the UNC School of Medicine from 1964 to 1971.[13] The Taylors spent summers on Martha's Vineyard beginning in 1953.[14]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Taylor
    Eastcoastmom likes this.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I LOVED it! I came of age listening to James Taylor and I teared up watching his tribute! I also loved the Eagles Tribute, especially that Linda Rondstadt (another of my musical idols) narrated it. In her autobiography she talks about the early years and how Glenn and Don met and how they played backup for her before going on to form their own band. The Mavis Staples tribute was great too but I was disappointed in Elle King's performance. A friend on FB was raving about it and I didn't see what all the hype was about. The music, imo, overpowered her, and I much preferred Bonnie Raitt's performance in the next segment, but then again I've always loved Bonnie.
    The tribute to Al Pacino was nice, although I could have done without Kevin Spacey's bit. It was a bit silly, imo. I had no idea who the Argentine pianist was.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast