+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Kennedy Center Honors on CBS

Re: Kennedy Center Honors on CBS

Maybe, there were things behind the scenes that explained some of the performers, but, I found quite a few of them questionable. Like, Darius Rucker, whom I adore, and Sheryl Crow, singing Taylor songs. Hmmm.....I get Garth Brooks, because he has always been a huge Taylor fan and he's a super star, but the others? I just wonder how it came about. There are huge giants in the music field, who would seem to be more fitting for James, but,......whatever. I know he was honored and looked so touched. What a treasure that man is, imo. I know that he has history with Carly Simon, but, I was sort of expecting to see her in person or through video.

Why do you think they picked Kings of Leon for the Eagles? I thought they did a good job. I thought Bob Seger really threw himself in his performance. I get why Ringo Starr did the intro.

I liked it when some of the audience members were moving to the music. There was a lot of songs played last night that the many knew the words to. American classics.

Do you think that the Eagles were so stoic due to Glenn's death or was it just their way? I know there has been a lot of feuding among them over the years. I would think they are old enough to let it go by now. Did you see their documentary that came out a a couple of years ago? Boy, was I surprised. It was pretty blunt.

Maybe, it's just me, but, imo, there was some kind of weird vibe last night. I'm not sure what it was. It's not normally like that, which made me wonder if it was from the death of Glenn. Even the singers seemed nervous and strained to me. Even Garth, who is normally very relaxed, seemed uptight.

Does anyone know why Gail King was sitting behind President Obama?

I think the remaining Eagles are just broken. Eagles were supposed to be honored last year but put it off because Glenn was supposed to be having surgery.

That was my band and Glenn Frey's death has rocked my soul. Additionally, he died from complications of UC and the medicine he took to combat it. UC which is a cousin to Crohn's and Remicade is what I take as well.

I was so happy that Linda Ronstadt was able to narrate the Eagles intro. I know that she is quite ill and would no doubt loved to present in person. God bless her. Not being able to sing anymore must be so difficult for her. She has been one of my top 4 female vocalist for many years.

For me, the Kennedy Center Honors was the last classy event show on TV. The changes to the format this year made me sick.

It used to start with a dignified speech by one of the Kennedys, or Walter Cronkite, or someone equally notworthy. Last night they started with shots of the red carpet arrivals like it was the Golden Globes, and then Stephen Colbert gave us 3 minutes of lame political jokes worthy of the Chuckle Shack.

The rest of the evening (I fell asleep before the Eagles tribute) was a confusing mess. I enjoyed the Mavis Staples tribute, but the James Taylor tribute fell flat for me. And the new gawdy set, and lack of fomality to the pace of the show, just made me angry. I even fired off some tweets to CBS and made a bitchy FB post.

I hope they revert back to the traditional format next year, and we can just forget that this year's show ever happened. I'm just disappointed that they had to ruin Pres. Obama's last year for this event.
    Critical likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Thanks for doing that MFWalkoff. I wasn't sure what the difference was, only that it was different. As I stated upthread, it had a different feel to it. I thought it was due to the death of Glenn Frey. Oh well, I still think I liked it better than you did, but was a little disappointed.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Hmm, well this was the first time I watched so I have no basis for comparison. I tuned in just a few minutes into the show, and missed the Red Carpet shots. I like Stephen Colbert, so his political humor didn't bother me.

Debb, as the camera kept panning to the Eagles, I too, wondered what was up with Don Henley. He didn't look happy. Joe Walsh, however, was smiling throughout and Timothy B. Schmit looked mostly pensive, but I did see him smile once or twice.

There are lots of older ceremonies on YouTube that can be viewed, both individual tribute segments and possibly some whole shows. The format has evolved subtly over the years, but it took a drastic, severe turn this year.

Maybe part of it was because there is usually a more balanced representation of all the fine arts among the honorees. This year it was really heavy on rock/contemporary music, and the tone of the night reflected that more. But I don't think that was the only reason, because there were other aspects of the format that were just plain sloppy/tacky for me compared to the past. It wasn't executed well.
    Last edited by MFWalkoff; 12-29-2016 at 11:23 PM.
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

maybe the realization that the next 4 years will be under the horrible orange turd

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post

Does anyone know why Gail King was sitting behind President Obama?
    I thought that's who that was, but I too couldn't figure out why? Maybe Oprah was busy
    Debb70 likes this.

She must be on some kind of friendly terms with the first couple, but probably the biggest reason was that Gayle works for CBS, so they gave her maximum exposure. They kept cutting to celebrities in the audience, and half the time they weren't friends of the honorees or performers, but simply people who appear on CBS shows.
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast