+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Like Tree476Likes

Thread: Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath on A&E

Re: Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath on A&E

Mike Render maybe even more so than Leah. He participated in and led "fair game" activities to destroy lives and humiliate people! That was his job... he must carry so much guilt and remorse. It was neat to see that some of the journalists he previously tried to destroy are actually good friends of his now.

I really want to watch Part One. Maybe it's online somewhere.

Fort Member
    where its beautiful one day perfect the next

I hope that the ask me anything part 2 was not the last episode ? I have really, hmmm enjoyed is not the right word, been hooked to it I guess, I have had a fascination with scientology and what makes intelligent people join and this show has answered some of my questions and hearing the stories of how people escaped has been riveting as I never realised that the SeaOrg people were essentially trapped That one couple a few epis back that after 10 plus years of marriage the wife had never cooked a meal, I just had no idea how military it is I guess but then even married people in the military get a house with a kitchen I have learnt so much and I want to learn more so I am hoping that was not the last episode
    I actually never liked Leah but she is growing on me
    Happiness is an unexpected piece of chocolate!

I vaguely remember this was going to just be a one shot mini-series but I'm not sure how committed they are to that idea. I watched the ask me anything part 2 tonight (still can't see part one). Mike gave a really good explanation on the sea org stuff vs. your regular member stuff. I can see why that sea org thing is that much more traumatic because it's kind of a poor man's way to move up the ranks of scientology because they essentially pay for your training in trade for your work but if you leave then you're in breech of your contract and owe them all that money. Once I really pieced that part together tonight (I know it was earlier in the series too) I was like wow. How many people are just flat out trapped?

Too many are just flat out trapped. Most people can not afford the outrageous costs of moving up the ladder so they are the ones that suffer the most.

I found it interesting that the IRS in 1993 (?) had the "church" fill out a form stating that they are not incorporated with or involved in (however it was worded) with other religions. Since there is documentation now that that was in fact a lie, perhaps that is the best way to have the tax exempt status removed. Hopefully this is something that Leah and Mike spoke about with their lawyers.
    Punkin, Cornholio and Coco46 like this.

I found part 1 of the questions answered on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hewyoUb6uio
    causingchaos and Cornholio like this.

Thank you so much sclilred1! Really appreciate the link, will watch here ASAP.
    sclilred1 likes this.

I found the series on You Tube today and binge watched 7 episodes. Wow...just, Wow... Many years ago, 25 or 30 probably, I read a book about Scientology and thought they were really weird. Now I know they are also evil. This series is heartbreaking. I hope the negative publicity will make people thinking of joining rethink things and that members who are having doubts will now have the courage to leave.
    I wonder what happened at the lawyers and if there is some legal way of stopping them or at least taking away the tax exempt status.
    sclilred1 and Cornholio like this.
    I am one step away from being rich. All I need now is money

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

I'm halfway through the DVD of "Going Clear." I've already read 3 books since Leah's series aired, but this DVD had Mr. AZC looking at each other and unable to understand how ANYONE can believe this claptrap.

I'll try to finish the DVD later today. It's so absurd that we had to take a break.
    Punkin, sclilred1 and Cornholio like this.
    I'm Paula.

I can totally understand how people believe it. I mean really if you break any religion down into it's most bizarre pieces it all sounds the same. Especially if you word it that bizarre way. I'm an atheist at this point so if I'm around some of my atheist friends i get to hear all religions broke down like that at one point or another and they all sound absurd. The weird religious beliefs bother me less than that the cult behavior. People will have to reconcile their belief system regardless what they believe and figure out how it fits with the world. But not everyone will need to escape a cult in the process.

This show has been so eye-opening. I knew it was a cult and had heard rumors of the bad things but watching this shows just how dangerous it is.

I liked on the questions part two how the cult guy (sorry - can't remember names) broke down the pieces of a cult. I knew it was but liked having the explanation. I also liked how he said he could maybe reach people inside. He can just say what his experience in a cult was, meanwhile he's explaining what a cult is. It could give them things to consider without bashing what they so strongly are indoctrinated into. That would make it an intellectual presentation rather than emotional. I think that would make it easier for them to separate emtions from their considerations of if what they are being taught reaches the level of being a cult.

I hope that makes sense. IOW, rather than being told they're in a cult they would be told what a cult consists of so later when they consider that information they could figure out themselves it's a cult (like no criticism allowed).
    causingchaos likes this.

+ Reply to Thread