+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree318Likes

Thread: Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath on A&E

Re: Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath on A&E

Yeah, I feel for them too, because I believe that I grew up in a cult church. It is called Fundamentalism. (Independent Baptist. They have a rich history of abuse.) It's the faith of the Duggars. I do believe in freedom of religion and that everyone has the right to worship any way they choose, but, when it comes to the kids, abuse, and coercion. That's over the line.
    GabbyG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Yeah, I feel for them too, because I believe that I grew up in a cult church. It is called Fundamentalism. (Independent Baptist. They have a rich history of abuse.) It's the faith of the Duggars. I do believe in freedom of religion and that everyone has the right to worship any way they choose, but, when it comes to the kids, abuse, and coercion. That's over the line.
    My ex was in this super funamentalist new agey church. End of the world. The rapture is coming. You leave you're dead to them. You don't buy into their stuff you're treated poorly. Women are basically nothing to them. Had to hand over all your money or you weren't faithful. Abuse. It hadn't been around long enough to be as deep as Scientology is with it's hierarchy but there was a clear hierarchy that was pretty much a visual representation of where the money went. This all hit close to home. And they're right it's not like you can just turn around and leave something like that. Even when you realize it's wrong. It's so embedded in all parts of your life. There were lots of people that were working for other church member's businesses. THey leave they stop having a job for example. It's very incestuous.
    Debb70 likes this.

I stumbled across this by chance and just fascinated. Really admire Leah and her determination and that she is not intimidated at all. The abuse, greed, bullying etc. is nauseating and certainly damaging as we are seeing in the interviews of the people who broke away. A great show / documentary.

I know what we see of Leah on the show. She's strong, in your face, blunt, unyielding, etc., however, I would bet that on the inside, her heart is breaking. This was her life for many years. You know she must still feel out of sorts, odd and even terrified by this new way of life. She must think about it every morning when she wakes and every night when she goes to bed. I do feel for her and hope she can come out happier and with peace. I still think they could try to sabotage her in some way. I'd be very anxious about it.

I agree with you, Deb, but the lady still got big-lip Botox.
    Are we to hope that means she's okay now?

I applaud her courage. And I think she's OK.
    Hope she breaks that glass ceiling.
    In the beginning was the WORD. Without definition there was nothing. We define the words.

I didn't notice that about Leah. I think she's quite attractive. Maybe, I'm used to it. So many women have it now.

I do wonder if the the COS members, especially those in the Sea Org or those who live in COS quarters, are as isolated as those were from years ago. With cell phone technology, I would think that preventing members from taking sneak peaks of COS critics would be almost impossible. The more they see of those who escaped, their stories, the lies, the more I would suspect they would start seeing some real damage to the church's donations. That's going to hurt. And even if they don't lose many members, they may suffer by not getting many new members or new money. That seems to be the heart of the problem. Getting all the money that you can.
    GabbyG, causingchaos and Cornholio like this.

I would be worried about my life if I were her. Those people mean business. Yikes.
    Punkin and KTinCT like this.
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

It sounds like from one of the episodes I watched on my binge there was some sequestered member in more modern day and they didn't allow that kind of cellphone/computer technology around.

Yes, I think that they try to control it, but, people are pretty stealthy when it comes to their phones. I've discovered that. Still, they do get through. Recall the one lady who was able to get word to her husband after he escaped, though a secret email address.

Those are people who want out though. You have to remember that. The others who have bought into this aren't really trying to be stealthy or get out. They've bought into the belief system, hierarchy and religion.
    KTinCT likes this.

+ Reply to Thread