+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree558Likes

Thread: Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath on A&E

FORT Newbie

Re: Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath on A&E

I never really liked Leah before this but I really like her now. This stuff is scary and I wonder if her going public is a way to keep her and her family safe. I hope she succeeds in slaying the giant.

Sent from my ALCATEL A564C using Tapatalk
    Punkin, mina, causingchaos and 6 others like this.

I agree she is speaking out , not only to expose this crap, but to protect her family, so it's out there in the open. We watched the 20/20 interview she did last year and I told my husband that she is speaking out so if anything happens there's a trail and public documentation.
    Wagara likes this.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I wonder if Scientology holds secrets about certain members, like celebrities, that keeps them in line. I really wonder if they are still in it by choice or are being coerced.
    I'm pretty sure there is some coercion involved --- after all, the Scientology organization DOES hold secrets about many (if not all) of their members. That's what Leah Remini is claiming, and what these other former Scientology members are saying too. And, after all, isn't that what all of their years and years of "auditing" sessions are all about? In their auditing sessions, the members have to reveal EVERY SINGLE THING they are interrogated about --- while at the same time they're being monitored by electronic equipment that is essentially a LIE DETECTOR.

Whenever I think about that, I can't help but wonder what secrets the church is holding onto about Tom Cruise. To me, in addition to everything that I've heard about the Scientology organization's very harsh ways, I also remember how Tom's ex-wife, Katie Holmes, was able to reach a very, very,VERY quick divorce settlement agreement with Tom, when she took their daughter Suri and left him, and made their quick escape from the cult. Katie must have had some very damning information about Tom as well.
    Last edited by Imperfect1; 12-22-2016 at 07:02 AM.

Each episode of this show reveals more and more compelling information. I used to think that it was like other religions and those who disagreed should just get out and leave them alone, but, now I see that this is actually a huge business endeavor. It's all about money. That seems to be the basis. All things are designed to get the money and control the members, so they can get their money. It's outrageous.

I do wonder if this show will open the door for an FBI investigation. Hard to believe there isn't already one in the works. Based on what the former members have reported, why is there no RICO investigation?

I hope Leah has plenty of security for herself and her family. She is right in their face. It seems that she's found her calling. I admire her courage.

I finally saw an episode at my mom's and ended up buying the season on amazon because the episode I watched had me sobbing. It reminded me so much of my ex's church. I didn't expect her show to be this good. And I never really cared about scientology much before this but wow.
    secw75 likes this.

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

I'm reading Ron Miscavage's book right now. Interesting.
    I'm Paula.

A&E is smart to run this series several times per week. I end up catching up on one part when I miss it on one night.

I think that it's quite effective when Leah reads aloud these statements from the COS. She reads it aloud even though, it's their words denouncing her show and her guests. But, she does it in such an in your face manner, that it's clear that she's not intimidated by the letters. She's putting it all out there, without fear, without trying to dodge their allegations. It's a brilliant move, imo. You know that the COS would never have the courage to read anything from Leah or anyone else. They want to hide behind things, pretend they don't exist, but, Leah.....she's saying it right in your face! lol
    libgirl2, AmyKay, justCoz and 5 others like this.

I agree with a lot of what you all are saying in this thread. It's such an eye-opening view of COS. I knew I didn't agree with their philosophies but wow. I like how Leah is explaining too how people get caught up in it. It's a slightly more dignified approach to the people exiting the COS. She's not acting like they are crazy for having been caught up in and yet not shying away from exposing the craziness.

I'm particularly fascinated (I'm not sure that's the right word in this instance) with how they coerce people into either ratting on each other or them admitting to things they didn't do just to shut "them" up. It's like people, particularly teens, who will give a false confession to a crime just to make it all stop. As a kid I witnessed this phenomenon first hand when a relative was asking another relative (a child) why they had done something that the child's siblings had said she did. She at first said she didn't do it which was the truth. Then as she got in trouble for lying she finally ended up confessing to something she didn't do only then to get in more trouble for supposedly lying that whole time. It was an endless crazy cycle and makes me more sensitive to watching those kinds of things on TV.

I agree that Leah is doing the show in part to prevent things happening to her. It's all so out in the open that they'd have a harder time doing those things to her, not that they won't try. She's also trying to prevent more abuse. I hope she's able to help tons of people affected by this. It's seems a travesty that more can't be done legally. I also hope they are able to find ones that can still take legal action because the statute of limitations hasn't run out yet.

Debb It is pretty amazing how she is so up front with reading their statements. It certainly isn't hiding from them but her inflections and eye rolls and such make them sound as ridiculous as they are.
    Moontat, Imperfect1 and sclilred1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz View Post
    I agree with a lot of what you all are saying in this thread. It's such an eye-opening view of COS. I knew I didn't agree with their philosophies but wow. I like how Leah is explaining too how people get caught up in it. It's a slightly more dignified approach to the people exiting the COS. She's not acting like they are crazy for having been caught up in and yet not shying away from exposing the craziness.

I'm particularly fascinated (I'm not sure that's the right word in this instance) with how they coerce people into either ratting on each other or them admitting to things they didn't do just to shut "them" up. It's like people, particularly teens, who will give a false confession to a crime just to make it all stop. As a kid I witnessed this phenomenon first hand when a relative was asking another relative (a child) why they had done something that the child's siblings had said she did. She at first said she didn't do it which was the truth. Then as she got in trouble for lying she finally ended up confessing to something she didn't do only then to get in more trouble for supposedly lying that whole time. It was an endless crazy cycle and makes me more sensitive to watching those kinds of things on TV.

I agree that Leah is doing the show in part to prevent things happening to her. It's all so out in the open that they'd have a harder time doing those things to her, not that they won't try. She's also trying to prevent more abuse. I hope she's able to help tons of people affected by this. It's seems a travesty that more can't be done legally. I also hope they are able to find ones that can still take legal action because the statute of limitations hasn't run out yet.

Debb It is pretty amazing how she is so up front with reading their statements. It certainly isn't hiding from them but her inflections and eye rolls and such make them sound as ridiculous as they are.
    I think what you are referring to are "knowledge reports"
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

This has made painting my nails more interesting this afternoon watching this. This is just so sad. What a money suck for people. And the youngens raised in this. I really hadn't paid too much attention to scientology ever. I imagine because no one where I live could ever afford to join this so it's not something that has taken off here. I'm like 3 episodes in now and it reminds so much of my ex's cult/church. I really really feel for these people.
    Imperfect1 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread