+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree318Likes

Thread: Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath on A&E

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

Re: Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath on A&E

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I believe one of Tom Cruise's children is mixed race, although I don't know what that mix is.
    His adopted son is.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I find this show really amusing. So far, I find the former members, who are sharing their stories, genuine and sincere. Most of them, were in the church for many years and had risen to the top of the church hierarchy. They had a lot to lose by leaving the church, but, they really were pushed to the brink.

I have found some of the allegations that Leah has made quite curious. For example, she says that members have to spend at least 5 hours a day, every day of the week studying, reading, in classes, etc. in order to comply with church rules. So, if you do this, how to do you work a job? And they must work a job, because she also claims that all members have to purchase all the church publications. And these books costs tens of thousands of dollars.

She said that the minimum you would have to pay is $100,000.00 and that is regardless of your ability to pay. So, how would a person with no job afford that? And with no job, how would they get a loan for that amount? I suppose that the members have to be independently wealthy, have trust funds, etc.

Also, how would you spend 5 hours a day studying, classes, etc. if you are a movie star or singer on tour?

I think this unveiling is really making some of the famous church members look rather foolish. I'm referring to Cruise, Travolta, Ally. To think that they get bossed like that? And that's why Tom has so little to do with his younger daughter......With all that mandatory disconnecting......I would think it's a very lonely and miserable existence. Even for the celebrities, who may get a pass on some things.

It's now looking to me as if this church is really a huge money making scheme. That's what it's all about is bringing in the cash.
    Punkin, scoot13, Cornholio and 1 others like this.

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

Sounds a lot like the mormon church to me..
    mockingbird255@ likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

That's Fundamentalist Mormon Cults. They add Polygamy in to their cults. But really, a cult is a cult is a cult.
    sclilred1, scoot13 and Cornholio like this.
    Lynda

I agree 100% that this organization is all about the money. That's why they have a whole division just to court and maintain celebrities. Because they have the big bucks and they are good PR to get others to join. It sounded to me like the ones who pay the money get out of studying and working for the organization. The ones with no money, like the woman who was primarily featured on episode #1 basically work full time for the organization. If I remember correctly from the show, she dropped out of school at 14 to stand on sidewalks trying to recruit people!!! Then she worked her way up the organizational chain.
    Imperfect1 likes this.

Last night was more on the money demands. They also brought in a new former member who had risen to the top of the Bridge. They say that often when you work hard, study, have those auditing sessions, pay for publications and other services, the group (I hesitate to call them a church at this point) will say there was a mistake and that you have to go back down the Bridge to pick up something that you already completed and paid for, but you have to pay again. And you do it, because....you don't question what they tell you. You just accept it, because if you question them, you become what they call evil and they can cause your family to disconnect from you. I sort of laughed and wondered if they have any ATTORNEYS in Scientology. As an attorney, I can't imagine not making legal arguments with them about that kind of breach. I think my sense of fairness would get me kicked out of Scientology pretty fast.

When I grew up, my parents were in a church where they were told everything about their lives, how to live, what to do, what to wear, how to think, who was bad and good, who to associate with, where to shop, how to run your household, how to spend your money, how to educate your children, what music to listen to, what art that was acceptable, how to pray, how to worship, etc. It was very similar to what we see on this show. I never bought into it, even as a child, I thought they were disturbed and scary. I never changed my opinion and I never caved in to it, but, I know some very good people who did.

I wonder if Scientology holds secrets about certain members, like celebrities, that keeps them in line. I really wonder if they are still in it by choice or are being coerced.
    Cornholio likes this.

The money aspect is also about supporting other members, not just the church. Have they mentioned this? If there is any opportunity to promote another member’s interests then they are expected to do that whether or not they approve of the product or service. It may be one of the reasons the Clearwater FL community is so intensely Scientology.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post

I wonder if Scientology holds secrets about certain members, like celebrities, that keeps them in line. I really wonder if they are still in it by choice or are being coerced.
    I have read that they do. Supposedly they have a lot on John Travolta, mainly him being gay.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

In light of what Leah said about alcohol, does anyone know if John T, Tom C. or Kirstie A. drink socially? I've never paid much attention to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    In light of what Leah said about alcohol, does anyone know if John T, Tom C. or Kirstie A. drink socially? I've never paid much attention to it.
    I don't know, but Kirstie did have a substance abuse problem.
    Punkin likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread