+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617
Like Tree437Likes

Thread: Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath on A&E

Re: Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath on A&E

Quote Originally Posted by RealityRealmer View Post
    I think any religion has good and bad people in it, and good ways to express it as well as evil. Leah is not an Scientologist anymore (I am sure she would be quite insulted to be called one), and she is working to expose the evil side to this particular religion and how those practices have harmed real people. To me she comes across and very sincere and well meaning.
    Leah is a trained Scientologist. But I think it's helpful to understand what Scientology is really about to fully appreciate the statement, in that it's not just the whackadoodle stuff that she and her production company has characterize on her show.

For example, my brother tells me he remains a Scientologist because he thinks it works. And, because of that, it works for him. How I look at it is that Scientology inspires confidence and provides various systems for success. Thus, Scientologists are success driven.

And, I totally agree with you that Leah comes across sincere and well meaning, because I think she is.

However, no matter what, she's driven to achieve and absolutely focused upon measurements of success, such as money, such as ratings, such as any other means she's using to measure impact. It's totally natural for her to do so by making the most of all those years of her training to be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by RealityRealmer View Post
    I think any religion has good and bad people in it, and good ways to express it as well as evil. Leah is not an Scientologist anymore (I am sure she would be quite insulted to be called one), and she is working to expose the evil side to this particular religion and how those practices have harmed real people. To me she comes across and very sincere and well meaning.
    The difference here is that the religion is not being perverted by a small percentage of followers, like we have seen in other religions. The evil in Scientology comes from the top. I have no doubt there are plenty of people who practice Scientology who never experience the horrors that we've heard of on Leah's show and elsewhere. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen. It's just that those people haven't encountered them and, you know, that's great for them. It seems that with this "religion," the more involved you are, the more exposed you are to the evil.

It seems like Leah still retains some of the good things from Scientology, like wanting to help people. Remember that woman she encountered (I think) on the beach last season and she had to resist the urge to try to intervene and help her in some way? She's made a point over the course of the series to be sure NOT to call Scientologists "stupid" or "fools." I think she's regrets her involvement in the group, but I think she tries to be respectful of the people she encounters. There was that older couple a few episodes back who had left Scientology because of what they experienced, but they are still using Scientology techniques to help people. Leah was very respectful of their choice to do so.

IMO, Miscaviage doesn't deserve any respect. He seems like a text book sociopath and it wouldn't surprise me AT ALL if his wife has basically been on house arrest in The Hole for all these years.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    The difference here is that the religion is not being perverted by a small percentage of followers, like we have seen in other religions. The evil in Scientology comes from the top. I have no doubt there are plenty of people who practice Scientology who never experience the horrors that we've heard of on Leah's show and elsewhere. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen. It's just that those people haven't encountered them and, you know, that's great for them. It seems that with this "religion," the more involved you are, the more exposed you are to the evil.

It seems like Leah still retains some of the good things from Scientology, like wanting to help people. Remember that woman she encountered (I think) on the beach last season and she had to resist the urge to try to intervene and help her in some way? She's made a point over the course of the series to be sure NOT to call Scientologists "stupid" or "fools." I think she's regrets her involvement in the group, but I think she tries to be respectful of the people she encounters. There was that older couple a few episodes back who had left Scientology because of what they experienced, but they are still using Scientology techniques to help people. Leah was very respectful of their choice to do so.

IMO, Miscaviage doesn't deserve any respect. He seems like a text book sociopath and it wouldn't surprise me AT ALL if his wife has basically been on house arrest in The Hole for all these years.
    well said, I totally agree
    sclilred1 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread