+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree109Likes

Thread: The Great American Baking Show (ABC starts 12/7/17)

CCL

Re: The Great American Baking Show (ABC starts 12/7/17)

They always filmed in the UK for this show (this is the third season). They did so previously because Mary Berry was a judge and she didn’t want to travel. I guess they just kept it the same this year even though she has been replaced. There was a different version called The American Baking Competition which was filmed in the US and had Jeff Foxworthy as the host; it only ran for one season (it was before the British version became so popular in the US).
    Filming in the UK is definitely a commitment but I think filming in the US would be too, as the US is so large. It is much easier for British contestants to return home each week than it would be for American contestants, no matter where they filmed. I am not sure how it works -they must film all at once rather than on weekends like the GBBO does. Usually the British contestants practice at home during the week so does that mean the Americans get some time to practice in the tent before each “week’s” challenges? Or were they given notice of the challenges prior to filming and practiced at home before going to the UK? Questions, questions.
    I liked the first two episodes they showed. Jessie seems like an early frontrunner though she faltered in week two. Valery also seems good.
    woodiedog likes this.
    Before we begin, what are the parameters of the guessing game? How many guesses do I get? Is there a time limit?

I like that it's so similar to the British version - especially since it's not a cutthroat competition. We like the happy music, and that the drama comes from the things that can go wrong in the kitchen, not from tearing each other down.

I liked seeing (don't know the names) the one lady helping the other to finish. IMO, that makes it a true competition. If I win because you were less than your best, it's not really a win. (Like someone scratching on the 8 ball - it might make me the "winner" but it's never a satisfying win to me.)

After the 2 episodes shown I like the hosts and Johnny. He was a judge on something else too, and I think I liked him there too. I like when judges find a way to be honest without being cruel.

This show, both iterations, makes us hungry. Even if I plan to eat during it, it still makes me hungry. So many delicious looking things!
    libgirl2 and woodiedog like this.

I really enjoyed it.
    woodiedog likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I am so bummed! I was going to start watching this. Now, I might as well not even bother.
    ABC Pulls ‘Great American Baking Show’ Due to Johnny Iuzzini Allegations – Variety
    "You're gonna tip that boat over and wet my weave!" To Rome For Love on Bravo

Quote Originally Posted by agamergirl View Post
    I am so bummed! I was going to start watching this. Now, I might as well not even bother.
    ABC Pulls ‘Great American Baking Show’ Due to Johnny Iuzzini Allegations – Variety
    I did start watching it. What a bummer. I understand not wanting to reward Johnny; but what about the contestants who spent time away from their families to not even get to show their families how it all went down seems cruel to them. Not hiring him anymore after this seems right, but not airing the rest of the shows somehow doesn't seem quite right to me.
    agamergirl and AZChristian like this.

CCL

Yeah, I feel bad for the contestants.
    Before we begin, what are the parameters of the guessing game? How many guesses do I get? Is there a time limit?

American Idol Deluxe Arielflies's Avatar

I saw this on my news feed and punched my desk. C'mon, people, it is already filmed and in the can!!! It is like ABC is punishing its viewers as well as the contestants and hosts on the show just for the sake of "it is the right thing to do". I hate harrassment and sexual crap as much as anyone else, but taking a show in progress off the air fries me!

ABC pulls 'Great American Baking Show' amid harassment claims against judge | EW.com
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I saw this on my news feed and punched my desk. C'mon, people, it is already filmed and in the can!!! It is like ABC is punishing its viewers as well as the contestants and hosts on the show just for the sake of "it is the right thing to do". I hate harrassment and sexual crap as much as anyone else, but taking a show in progress off the air fries me!

ABC pulls 'Great American Baking Show' amid harassment claims against judge | EW.com
    My mother in law is very upset, this is her favourite show..
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

No!,😫😫😫😫😫

Oh no!!!!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread