+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Badseed
  • 1 Post By Badseed

Thread: Australian Survivor discussion

Australian Survivor discussion

Millenials v Gen X is just beginning, but the Australian version of Survivor is already underway, is anyone else watching? It's pretty interesting, especially if you miss the simpler seasons - this is their first in ten years so they don't have to make a complex game to mess with superfans. Here's some stuff I found interesting; spoilers of course:

-There are 24 players, and they start out on three tribes. The prize is only a half-million dollars (about $380,000 US dollars), but the game lasts 55 days.
    -Like in Worlds Apart, they had someone from each tribe choose between an honest box and a deceitful box.
    -To merge into two tribes, they have a reward challenge, where the winning team has the option to stay united and pick whomever they want to join them.
    -Sometimes there are non-elimination tribal councils where no one gets voted out and some other twist happens instead.
    -It's sponsored by Hungry Jack's (Australian Burger King), so far two reward challenges have been Hungry Jack's feasts.
    -Next episode is the merge and it looks like they're bringing back the food auction. It'll be interesting to see if they auction off game advantages or just food, since the players aren't Survivor experts.
    -The host's initials are JP.
    scoot13 likes this.
    Pools I'm running: Masterchef Junior:(Due March 1) Survivor:(Due March 14)
    Pool History:
    Masterchef 5: Cutting Board Game Hunters: Second to Last
    Survivor: San Juan Del Sur - 200k DNA - Pool Winner; Kaoh Rong - Fourth Place
    Hell's Kitchen 7 - The Boulevard of Frozen Dreams - Wooden Pitchfork

Re: Australian Survivor discussion

Moved from US Survivor forum.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I'm watching this series and I think it may be the best Survivor I've ever watched. Lots of back-stabbing and positioning going on and I'm enjoying watching them scramble!

Where do you all find episodes? I've seen people post about Survivor and Big Brother episodes in different countries, yet have no clue how to watch them.

I have had luck finding them online. I will PM you a link that I use as I don't think that I am allowed to post it.

Another interesting twist last episode. The immunity challenge was a race done in stages, where only the first 6 out of 10 to complete the first leg would continue, with a vague warning that you don't want to be one of the four to drop out. After the challenge was over, the four were immediately whisked off to Exile Island, which up to this point had never even been mentioned, and then sent straight to tribal council, AND seated on a different bench than the other six. It was very interesting because it meant that the groups of 6 and 4 had no way of getting on the same page before or during tribal.
    scoot13 likes this.
    Pool History:

So after 22 vote outs, 55 days, and 26 episodes, it's all over and the winner is Kristie! That final tribal was a real tour de force, she'd been quiet and reserved and sad for most of the game, but when given the chance to speak, she blew Lee out of the water, and got all the votes except El; Lee's closest ally since day 1. All three of the final 3 started out on an abysmal tribe that lost nearly every challenge, so a real great comeback.

For next season, I hope they drop it down to 39 days. The extended game punishes people who play strategically, it's just really hard to hold everything together. I also think the non-random swap made things too unbalanced; they got all the challenge beasts and trustworthy allies and that made them almost unstoppable. I do like how they reveal some contestants ' voting comments in the credits, and all of the jury members' at the finale. Season 4 has been commissioned so we'll see.

Side note; it's interesting how they don't idolize sports like we do in America; Lee is a retired cricket player but isn't considered a "celebrity casting."
    Pool History:

While we wait for Survivor Heaters vs Hedgeclippers vs Harmonicas (I thin kthat's what it's called?) a new season of Australian Survivor has premiered! They're doing 24 players & 55 days again, which I wasn't a big fan of, but I'll manage.

-Henry, a construction worker, decides to pretend he's a yoga instructor. Not sure why, I'd trust the laborer more
    -Luke, causing trouble by causing a tie vote rather than the solid vote for Joan that they planned. It's become the Evil Empire led by Sam vs the Rebel alliance of Luke & co
    -Joan makes the fatal mistake of bragging how well she slept... she slept well because she was hogging the soft spot.
    -AK comes up with this interesting fake twist - the "chicken idol..." he can play it as a normal idol, or trade it for a chicken coop for the tribe. They buy it pretty quickly
    -Younger Mark is a former special ops trying to hide his identity

A lot of interesting gameplay. Let's hope we don't see a repeat of last season with the aggressive players all going pre-merge
    Pool History:

+ Reply to Thread